helful advice (I hope)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sue

helful advice (I hope)

Postby sue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:25 am

Hi Everyone.
I wanted to share something that has really been helping me manage side effects of my folfox6 treatments (I just finished #8).

I have been seeing a naturopathic Dr. for advice on nutrition and she has recommended the following: 2-3 days BEFORE treatments hydrate with water by drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces (for example, if you weigh 120lbs. you would drink 60 ounces each day).

It's tough to get it all down, but I have found it really helps with all my symptoms, especially the headache I get for the first few days while I am hooked up. I find it hard to drink the water once the oxi kicks in and messes with my throat, so I cut down after I get infused to whatever I can handle.

Other helpful tips:

I tried acupuncture for nausea and found it to be helpful.

This is a great website for information on nutrition I found too. It is geared to more "western" tastes but very informative. It has specific advice about nutrition and supplements for colon cancer as well:

http://www.whfoods.com

Last but not least here is a quote from Tich Naht Hanh that I say everyday to myself to try and maintain my positve atitude. (Which is one of the most challenging aspects to this experience!)

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Live strong Sue :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”