dose reduction

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jennyjojjr

dose reduction

Postby jennyjojjr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Anyone have to have dose reduction due to 5 fu toxicity?

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: dose reduction

Postby NWgirl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 am

My oncologist reduced my 5FU by 20% after the first couple of infusions as the nausea was just so bad. It's still not great, but better than it was as far as the nausea.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Monique

Postby Monique » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi Jenny,

From what I've read and heard, I don't think that it's uncommon to have one's dose reduced. Due to blood cell and platelet counts, I had my dose reduced twice (treatments were also postponed twice). If memory serves, I had both the oxaliplatin and the 5-FU reduced by a total of 30%.

When I started my treatment, my oncologist remarked, "We're going to throw the book at you...". I think what he meant was that my medical team were going to treat my cancer very aggressively and then scale back the dosage when/if the need be.

Warm wishes,
Monique

jennyjojjr

Postby jennyjojjr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:04 am

My dose was reduced (5 fu) due to DPD deficency and crohn's disease. The bolus and infusion had to be reduced due to grade 4 toxicity. Diarrhea 30x a day x 10 days. Of course now, I'm concerned about effectiveness of treatment. I do get the full dose of oxi. I asked for the DPD test, they don't give it unless you ask-only 1 in a million have this deficency.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”