folfox

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
joy

folfox

Postby joy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 am

Just had my second round of folfox and experience the following side effects --

1) came home with the infusion attached and started to run a raging temp 38.8 and it stayed that way all night. 'phoned local hospital and told don't worry much too early to be a white cell problem.
2) next day my face and chest stayed a bright red - looks like I have a sun burn. It is predominately on my cheek bones etc.
3) sick as a dog - immediately on arriving home - manageable.

The red face is slowly coming back to normal :oops:

Anyone else experienced this with this chemo

Folfox

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:23 am

I haven't experienced the exact same symptoms as you have on the Folfox regimen. Below are the allergic reactions I once experienced on Folfox; nausea and slight feverishness is continual for me when I am on the it, despite having Aloxi and steroids administered prior to treatment.

I have experienced these symptoms once:

1. burning on the palms of hands, which was alleviated by an ice bag

2. redness and a burning sensation around the rims of my eyes

3. flushing in the face with burning

4. feeling "itchy" and hot

These symptoms occurred when I was at the hospital receiving treatment, and they were were able to stop the reaction by administering benedryl, temporarily stopping the infusion for 15 minutes, and decreasing the dosage-everyone is different. I hope things work out for you.

Rochelle

joy

Postby joy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:35 pm

Rochelle:

I really think I had an allergic reaction.

The burning sensation around the eyes is just as you described - I thought it felt like spending a very hot dry day with a wind in my face - my eye sockets looked white and my eye bone area was red.

My whole body was incredibly hot and dry and blotchy.

I'm off Oxy for 5 weeks (radiation +5FU) - so I will be sure to mention to my Oncologist that I have heard of someone having a simiular reaction and please have the benedryl ready.

thanks for your info...... much appreciated

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:16 pm

Joy,

As a stage Iv survivor, I had 8 cycles of oxi and did not experience such side affects. My primary were fatigue and neuropathies. Warm snuggly socks and mittens are priceless! With the redness and heat, I would tend to agree that you may have had an allergic reaction to the platinum base of Oxi. I would definitely encourage you to be proactive and discuss with your provider. Please be well and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 pm

thanks Holly: to-day is one of my "down" days, very tired :(
I'm so thankful for the people at the Colon Club they are so great!!!

sue

redness

Postby sue » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:44 am

Joy,
I have experienced a flush almost everytime I have my treatmments, mostly on my face. (I am on my 8th folfox6 treatment) Once I had it on my thighs too. It is weird, I have it more on one side of my face than the other.

My eyes actually hurt sometimes (if I am in the cold, or if I cry) I am sure this is from the Oxiliplaten. It goes away later in the week.

My Dr. gives me Benadryl every time. I thought that was standard practice. It is good that you are on top of this now. Keep them all on their toes and good luck with your treatments

Sue

joy

Postby joy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Sue:

Thank goodness for the Colon Club it has saved my sanity.
I'm of Scottish background and tend to be too darned "tight lipped" - when it comes to health issues. When a doc asks me how I feel I always seems to say "FINE NO PROBLEM". Now I'm learning to be more pro-active and to admit if I'm having problems i.e. I threw up like a dog, I had a raging temp, I left as though I was burning up.

I'm beginning to learn that the Doc can't fix what she doesn't know about.

I'll make sure and mention benedryl

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”