tired but can't give up

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Deborah

tired but can't give up

Postby Deborah » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:33 am

My husband just got home from a week in the hospital for infections from his fistulas. He was sent home with TPN and I was shown how to run it one time and expected to do it from now on. It took me 3 hours and I still had to call homehealth. He is inconsinent and wet the wed during this process and I had to change him and the bed He weights 242 lbs and since that screwed up his meds at the hospital he has not been with it and sleeps like a rock or does not understand what I am asking him to do. He needs surgery to fix the fistulas so he can continune with chemo but no one will do it since he is a stage IV cr cancer patient. We have another dr. apt. wed so see another surgerion maybe he will help. He has done really good on chemo diag 5/04 this fistulas are just getting the best of him. I want our life back like it was. I.m tired but can't sleep scared what will happen in the night.

Goofydad

surgery

Postby Goofydad » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:26 am

Sorry to hear about your trouble; seems as if you should talk to your doctor about home health aides and home health nursing. Your state and/ or county should have that available, and I'm going to bet you qualify for the help. As well, they may offer respite, where someone will come in and relieve you for a few hours so you can get chores done/ errands/ relax without feeling guilty. Talk to your doc and/ or State Health department in your county.

Your husband may also be a poor surgical candidate because if he's currently IN chemo, it tends to throw off the body's white and red blood cell counts, and there's a greater risk of a life-ending infection...another reason the fistulas may not be healing properly.

Good luck; there are no easy answers. My wife and I have been going at her cancer for the past seven years, and it just doesn't seem to get better for us, either...cancer really can affect a relationship. We'll all be strong with you...

Glenn
Pressure - It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basket-case.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”