Low Platelet Count

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
amwell

Low Platelet Count

Postby amwell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Today my seventh chemo session was postponed because my platelet count was down a hundred points from my last treatment. Speculation is that the Oxalyplatin dose needs adjusting. During my last treatment I developed a severe itch that was quelled with Benadryl. Could this reaction mean that the Oxalyplatin is building up in my system and I need a smaller dose? Anyone else experience this? If so, what did you and your medical team do?

raym

Re: Low Platelet Count

Postby raym » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:11 am

My platelet count was 88,000 this week for my 6th FOLFOX treatment. Still with in acceptable treatable range according to the oncologist, but he did reduce the oxaliplatin infusion due to this as well as neuropathy creeping in. He also mentioned he may cut out the oxa after the 8th treatment. I'm also taking a self imposed (vacation) break between my 7th and 8th treatment for a week so that should help as well. The oncologist explained to me 5FU provides a 20 some percent increase in survival rates, but the oxaliplatin adds something in the single digits increase so it is not AS important. And after 8 treatments if the cells do not react to the oxaliplatin then additional treatments with it will most likely not do much good.

I'm hoping that I'm good for my next treatment. We purchased tickets to the Baltimore Grand Prix (last year before DX) and would hoping to not make that a post infusion weekend. Too many bathroom issues as well as fatigue.

Wishing you good results on your treatment!
3/11 IIIC +/FOLFOX
4/12 HIPEC
6/12 Chmo/Rad
9/12 XELIRI+Avast/Zltra
9/13 Plvic Absc,stpd chemo
11/13 Tumr rmvd frm Lap Port incis
12/13 Xeloda
1/14 Cardiac Issue no Xeloda/5FU
3/14 Irinotecan
6/14 Stopped chemo
8/14 Clin Trial
9/14 Infectn - Stpd Trial

Monique

Postby Monique » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Today my seventh chemo session was postponed because my platelet count was down a hundred points from my last treatment. Speculation is that the Oxalyplatin dose needs adjusting. During my last treatment I developed a severe itch that was quelled with Benadryl. Could this reaction mean that the Oxalyplatin is building up in my system and I need a smaller dose? Anyone else experience this? If so, what did you and your medical team do?

I had the exact same reaction when I was undergoing Folfox. If memory serves, my treatment was stalled twice, due to platelet counts (frankly, it was a nice break). I also had an allergic reaction to Oxalyplatin - I think it was around treatment eight or nine. While my chemo nurses seemed surprised by my reaction I later read that ten percent of Folfox patients have an allergic reaction to the drug.

The next time I went in they gave me a large dose of Benadryl, and slowed down my drip. To no avail. Basically, my system had had enough as I had another allergic reaction, although it was less severe. As a result my oncologist decided to discontinue the Oxaliplatin, but continued with the 5-FU until treatment 12. This, of course, concerned me, as I wanted to confront my cancer guns a blazing, but from what I've read, it's not uncommon for one's medical team to discontinue Oxaliplatin. While my oncologist was concerned about a number of issues, he was not concerned about stopping the Oxaliplatin.

Anyway, I hope that sets your mind at ease.

Best,
Monique

bz45

Postby bz45 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:47 pm

I did have the itching with the oxy. It occurred when my regular onco nurse wasn't there, and my regular onc doc wasn't there either. Itching started on my scalp, like a bad case of dandruff. Then it spread. I called for the nurse who told the stand-in doc who stopped the infusion. Fortunately, I had already received most of the oxy. They gave me benedryl and the itching stopped. When I told my regular onco nurse about it, she said that it happens when the infusion is too fast and that this particular doc has a tendency to order the drip too fast. I continued with the oxy for the complete FOLFOX cycles but with iv benadryl as pre-med.
Hope my experience helps you. Prayers for you on your journey.

Barbara
dx rc 4/09
Stage IIIC T4a N1 Mx
APR with perm. colostomy 6/09
FOLFOX + Avastin 9/09 - 2/10
Blood spotting 12/10
Biopsy 1/13 confirms re-occurence; unresectable
Chemorad 17tx 3/11-4/11
Internal rad 3tx 6/11

amwell

Postby amwell » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the input and the encouraging words. It's good to know that others have experienced this side effect. My next blood test is on Wednesday. Hopefully there won't be too many "holidays" as it makes it challenging when one is away from home. On the upside, maybe my body is saying that it doesn't need the Oxa anyhow! I've been reading up on food choices to build up platelet counts - kale, spinach, asparagus, beet greens and pineapple. I'm juicing these and eating them daily. We'll see...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”