Chemo for Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sharib
Facebook Username: sharibakken

Chemo for Colon Cancer

Postby sharib » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I have completed 4 rounds of Oxi along with Xeloda regimen. My last treatment was on June 16th but today on August 10th I am still extremely fatigued. I am very frustrated at this point and would like others to share their experiences with this.

tammylayne

Re: Chemo for Colon Cancer

Postby tammylayne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Hang in there. I know you don't believe it now....but this will pass quicker than you think!

Stay hydrated, rest and nap when you need to. Hydrate. Take a walk, a bike ride, anything that gets you up and moving when you feel up to it. Even a brisk around the mall window shopping will work if you need to stay close to a washroom or in air conditioning. Hydrate. Eat what you want...when you want. Did I say hydrate???

You are 1/3 of the way DONE!!!!!!!!! 33 1/3 DONE!!!!!!!! You can do this!!!!! Treat yourself to a little something after each infusion...a good book, a movie, a "date" with a loved one...just a little something to look forward to.

Be kind to yourself...and if you need us...we are here.

Sending you gentle hugs.....

Tammylayne
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

sharib

Postby sharib » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Thank you Tammy, I am actually done because my treatment was adjuvant to prevent it from coming back. After the last treatment on June 16th my onc said that I should be back to normal in a few weeks but it is now going on 2 months. Thanks for the advice though, I am an avid water drinker. Just probably need to force myself to be a little more active but feeling like this for 2 months now has just really got to me!

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I think it takes most people about 6 months to feel back to 100% and I've even seen some (usually that do full treatments) take a year. Hang in there. Try and exercise a little every day, increase when you can, eat healthy, drink fluids and take naps when you feel the need.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

rachpach
Facebook Username: rachaelclairemoore

Postby rachpach » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Sharib,
Had 19 rounds of folfox chemo from oct-09 to june 2010 and found I was fatigues-really body tired for about two days following my treatment. As I got to the last few rounds it was longer, maybe five days, I could still do everything I wanted, but was thinking about it last night and for me, like taking a big breath, being in a boxing ring (not wanting to be there lol!) taking a beating and getting out of it and going phew...sounds weird I know but feels like that for me with the chemo. It did take me a good 3 months after I finished to feel 100% again. Just the waking up in morning and going arr, don't really want to get out of bed. I'm back on chemo again, done 7 of 12 rounds of folfiri and this cycle the fatigue has continued up till even today. I'm fine, but just energy wise not the best. Ususally try and walk 4km a day during weekdays but this week just have'nt had the energy. It's a common side effect the fatigue and you should be okay once your body has got thru the beating it's had! Hope things are going well for you otherwise and take care
28/8/09 dx CRC age 30
9/09 Stage 4 Multiple bilobar Liver Mets
10/9 Folfox
6/10 Finish Folfox
3/11 Colon stent, obstruction
4/11-Start Folfiri
10/11-Finish Folfiri
11/11 Scan:stable disease
12/ 11 Meet with Surgeon re Colon Resection

Monique

Postby Monique » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Hello Sharib,

Congratulations on concluding your treatment. This is an interesting question, and I suspect that the answer differs from person to person. In my case, I noticed fatigue for about six months following the end of my treatment. That said, it certainly lessened over the course of time. And that's the thing, I think it's an ongoing process, as opposed to a sudden one. As far as the neuropathy went, it took me about two years to feel full (100%) sensation in my feet. Again, it was a steady but slow process.

Best,
Monique

sharib

Postby sharib » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone for being very helpful to me during my treatment period. I just got the results today from my CT scan and bloodwork and I can officially call myself a cancer survivor!! The only thing left is to gain the 20 lbs I lost during the oxi and I love to eat so that should not be a problem!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”