Moviprep- can you mix anything with it?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MLJE

Moviprep- can you mix anything with it?

Postby MLJE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:17 am

Hi everyone. I have a colonoscopy scheduled tomorrow and have to take Moviprep (now at around noon and then another liter at 6pm)

I'm like about 1/4 through the first liter and I'm having a REALLY hard time keeping it down. (I'm about to vomit) I really don't think I can stomach anymore. Is there anything I can mix this with? I had it cold already and am trying to hold my nose and just drink it but its a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be.

Or any other tips to help me get this stuff down? Thanks!!

tizme

Re: Moviprep- can you mix anything with it?

Postby tizme » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 am

Hi,

When I had to do my prep, I had to drink 16 glasses of this terrible mixture that tasted like vanilla and metal combined...just gross. I have heard of people putting clear fluids in it to change the taste, sprite, white cranberry juice and even vodka (althought I wouldn't recommend that). I held my nose, drank it down and then to get rid of the after taste, I would drink some apple juice as a chaser.
Daughter of 68 y.o. mom
8/10 dx with 3C CC 10/24 nodes
colon resection
10 rds Folfax
cancer free in 12/10
5/11 Dx spread to ribs, maintenance chemo for life
8/11 Folfor w/ Avastin; radiation to 6 cm rib met
10/11 My beautiful amazing mom passed away

Luna

Postby Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:56 am

I found that using a straw helped.

MLJE

Postby MLJE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks you all. I put some Sprite in it. It's helping a little. I am using a straw as well and just trying to down it. I am working on the 1st liter still. Nearing the 1/2 way mark. Can't believe I still have to drink 1.5 more liters.

It says drink 1/4 of it every 15 minutes but I can't do that. Did it take anyone else longer? Hopefully it will be fine as long as I get all of this down.

Ashlee H.

Postby Ashlee H. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 pm

I've tried all the tricks, and they worked for awhile with me...drinking Ginger Ale between prep, using a straw, having prep really cold, etc. But this last prep, my body did not want and I threw must of it up. I was only able to down 1/2 the solution, and threw 1/2 of that up! I did find chewing peppermint gum after drinking about 1/4 of the prep in the glass seemed to help. It seemed like it tricked my body into thinking what I had just ingested really wasn't that bad. Also, the day before the prep, I only eat a little of soft food - yogurt and such. Because I've had a colon resection, I was clean enough for the procedure. My doctor said people missing part of their colon will clean out faster - so if you can't drink all that is required, what you can get down may be enough to do the colonoscopy. Good luck. I'm going to try and get some of that Pico Salax the Canadians use - sounds yummy compared to what we have to drink in the U.S.!
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Getting it down and keeping it down is what counts, I think. I doubt doing it slow will be a problem.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Postby tdsamal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Boy do I know what you are talking about. That stuff is horrible. No matter what I did I couldn't get the stuff down. Apparently I got enough of it down though because I was cleaned out enough for the procedure. I'm scheduled for mine in Sept. and told the Dr I had to have something else. He gave me Dulcolax and Miralax with Gatorade. I know I can get that down! If you can take this then why do they make you drink that horrible, horrible tasting prep? Next time tell your Dr. you can't handle the prep drink and see of he will let you something else. Good luck tomorrow!
Tammy
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

janklo
Facebook Username: JanetKlostermann

Postby janklo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm

I found chewing minty gum helped to hide the taste! And I took a drink of regular tea in between every swallow of MoviPrep.
Mom to 28 yo daughter
colectomy 2/22/10, stage 3C, signet cell
7/2011 peritoneal mets
HIPEC September 2012, difficult recovery
Hospice 10/31/2012, Died 11/16/2012

Luna

Postby Luna » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Once you're poop is looking like light Apple juice with no solids at all, you're good, according to my GI. Last time I only had to do half the prep as I'd just had another prep a week before and had basically not eaten all week (had just been diagnosed, no appetite).

MLJE

Postby MLJE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:07 pm

thanks you all. I am done with the 1st liter.

I'm supposed to start the other one at 6pm (I've got about 3 hours)

I think everything is out already honestly but I'm gonna TRY to do the rest of the prep anyway just in case. Here's hoping I make it! Ick.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”