Colon Cancer Feelings

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bridgetann

Colon Cancer Feelings

Postby bridgetann » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:30 am

I have feelings about this disease that I am not sure about. My mom was told she had this and she had just as much removed from her as the president had removed. I than went to the doctor because I have had some really bad colon problems in the last 4 months and I had the test. :D I was told I did not have anything that was bad just to eat a high fiber diet which I have done. I am watch the disease that mom has just get in her system. I am very thankful for the doctors that cared for mom and the ones that will in the next few months of her treatment. Thanks for listening.

Love you mom,
Bridgetann Resinger

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:29 pm

Hey BridgeTann!

Welcome to the Colon Club! I am so proud to hear that you are being proactive in the management of your health! Way to go and keep up the great work!

I hope that here you will find support and encouragement as I have as a stage IV survivor over the past year!

Know that both you and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Goofydad

your best advocate!

Postby Goofydad » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:34 am

Bridgetann,

Glad to hear you spoke up so forcefully and asked...no, demanded testing. There is evidence that cancers can run in families and be passed along genetically. My wife has been fighting her cancer for seven years now, (she fights, but the disease seems stronger...darn the disease!) and our 12-year old daughter is at high risk for the disease. Seems she has an uncle with colon cancer, a grandmother, her father had polyps, and then my wife, and darned if the little girl isn't the splitting image of her mother...

Sometimes you have to be your own best advocate, and demand the testing if only to be safe and sure. The key is to keep on top of it, and not become complacent. Keep vigilant, keep looking, and keep questioning. As a nurse, I know that the medical sciences can still be very much like the weather; more of a guessing game based on the best available evidence and likely to change over time.

Keep on the lookout, and be healthy,

Glenn
Pressure - It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basket-case.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”