My Sister

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Scared in Canada

My Sister

Postby Scared in Canada » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:35 am

I just wanted to ask advice and I guess I am looking for answers too. My sister who is 46 was diagnosed with ovarian cancer on January 17/06. She was told she would have 6 chemo treatments and surgery, which would be after the 3rd chemo session. There have been many highs and lows since the diagnosis. The doctors told her they thought it was on her liver as well, so after 2 chemo sessions, they did a scan, and it showed her liver is fine, no cancer. Last friday we were supposed to find out when her surgery would be, but instead we got more bad news. Now her colon has cancer. She is one of the strongest people I know and has a very strong faith. She has told me she has to trust what the doctors say, but as we dont know any differently, its our only choice. I was hoping maybe people who have had the experience could give me advice and lend me some of their knowledge. Please if anyone has any ideas, pass them on to me. My name is Tracy and my email is koukla1968@hotmail.com. My sister has so much to live for, including an 11yr old daughter. She has always treated her body well, and is the healthiest person I know. I am still in shock I guess.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Tracy,

Welcome to the Colon Club. I can appreciate feeling scared. I am a stage IV survivor with a seven year old daughter. I fight this strong emotion with each passing day! Though I am grateful and feel blessed to be alive, feeling scared is a powerful emotion. The advise I may offer is this: Second opinions are never a bad I idea. Encourage your sister to be proactive in the management of her health! Knowledge is powerful! I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer at the age of 30. I was given little hope of survival and I am cancer free! You must believe that ALL things are possible! Know that you and your sister are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Yes, fear is a given in the realm of cancer. We don't exactly what causes it, therefore we don't know if we will get it again once we fight it off.

I was diagnosed, at the age of 38, in August of 05, with stage II colon cancer. I have three young daughters, have never smoked, have always had a low-fat diet, run, lift weights, do yoga, etc. I thought I was doing everything to keep my body going strong to at least age 100. It was a real shock to learn that I had cancer. It shocked my doctors, my family, and me.

I've had surgery and now I'm going through chemo and radiation. It's a really tough thing to put my body through these treatments...wondering what researchers might learn a few years down the road. I've never been fond of meds. I would break down and take Advil once a month for cramps but that was it. So allowing these toxins into my body is very troubling to me.

There's a long list of fears associated with cancer. And I don't have an answer, yet, as to how to effectively deal with these fears. I pretty much feel like a nutcase myself most of the time. I go along just fine and suddenly melt into tears without warning. I think we have to accept these feelings as normal, find a way to vent, and learn what brings you peace. Not an easy task.

Holly, I've read a lot of postings and you're always so encouraging. Thank you for your positive messages!

Tracy, hang in there, learn as much as you can and be there for your sister. You'll be in my prayers.

Love and Prayers,

Michelle

Scared in Canada

Thanks

Postby Scared in Canada » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Thankyou very much Holly and Michelle for taking the time to write. I have read both of your responses to my mom, and you have encouraged us both! I talked to my sister at length yesterday, and she still is keeping very positive. She has a cold at present and wasnt able to do her chemo last Tuesday, but they say her blood should be ok to go ahead on Monday and get back on track with it. She is to have her surgery on April 11th, so we are all looking forward to that. Have either of you heard of Avastin? I have read the principle behind that medication, and it makes sense to me that it would work to shrink and get rid of tumours... very expensive however. Well, thanks again for your kindness and prayers. Know that I am praying for you as well.

Hugs,
Tracy xo

Dot

Postby Dot » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi Tracy;

Tell your sister to hang in there - there is hope!

My husband Bob, 39 y/o, diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer with mets to the liver. It took a number of months before he got diagnosed. Actually, he was having another attack of abdominal pain and we went back to the hospital. I told them that he was not leaving until they found out what was wrong. The Doc agreed to keep him overnite to get the colonoscopy the next day. They were all shocked to see how advanced his cancer was. So surgery first, then he was to start chemo after he healed. But, that was not happening so they had to do another surgery to open him back up and he had to heal from the inside out for about 2 months. He started his chemo after about 6 weeks of healing. He takes Folfox 6. Which is 5FU, Leucovorin and Oxaliplatin every 2 weeks. After about 2 months of chemo he was completely healed so they could start the Avastin. Avastin is strong and it attacks the blood supply to the tumors in his liver. He had to wait to start that because it also attacks some good blood supply, like to his healing from belly surgery. Once he started on the Avastin there was a dramatic drop in the elevations of his liver enzymes and his CEA level started to drop.

The plan is to do 6 months of Chemo then hopefully he can get a liver resection to remove the tumors in the liver.

Initially the biggest problem was dealing with the nausea & vomiting. They found a combination that works for him, Ativan and Reglan. It still was touch & go until he went for his 2nd opinion. Bob called him "DR. Death". He told him that without treatment he would live 1 year and with treatment he would live 2 years!. Well, that "pissed" Bob off so he had a major attitude change. He was going to fight it and fight it hard!

After our 2nd opinion I found this site. The best place to go. It was the first time I had any hope. There are many Stage IV surviors.

Right now, my husband is back at work, except on Chemo days. He is exercising to build up what he lost. Since he is a diabetic and keeping his white blood cell count up enough to fight infection he gets a shot of "Neulasta" after he is done with the 46 hour home infusion of 5FU. It is keeping up his cell count, but he says he does not feel like running through a field like they do on the commercials on TV!

They sometimes need to give him a shot of Aranesp to build up his red blood cell counts when he gets anemic. He even has started back in his classes (he was in a paramedic program when all this hit).

Luckily, my health insurance is covering most of the cost; if you need to pay for the medications, get a group to plan fund raising events. Raffels, golf tournaments, what ever. People will be glad to help because they too feel helpless when someone has cancer.

And, keep checking this web site. This is my support group.

Scared in Canada

Thanks Dot

Postby Scared in Canada » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:17 am

Hi Dot
Thanks for your encouraging story! That is wonderful your husband is doing so well!! It helps a great deal to hear survivor stories. The doctors can be so sombre and statistics are so damn cold, its nice to hear when real people prove them all wrong.
I am making notes when people write, taking down names of meds etc, and am keeping my sister posted on everything. I have told her of the website, but she wants to be on a need to know basis. We are prone to anxiety on a good day in my family, let alone during a time like this, so she wants to know things as she needs to know them. I can TOTALLY understand her way of thinking, so I am going out there for her, looking around. I have met so many wonderful people in my quest so far, of which you are one. Thanks again for sharing with me.
Tell Bob WAY TO GO!!!!!
:)
hugs,
Tracy

ASTEPHENS33

Marketing

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:44 pm

The last two posts about the on-line pharmacy, I find offensive. This forum is about people helping people in a difficult situation. It is not an advertisement forum. It might be a legitimate offering and recourse and something a fellow cancer person has found to work, then the poster should indicate who they are and not be a GUEST. This makes me think the posting is strictly advertising.

scared in canada

What is this "pharmacy"?

Postby scared in canada » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:45 pm

Wow, I am in shock that this forum has been used for an advertising venue. Shame on you!
This is a place for people to share experienceS, and experience, not a place to make a buck.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”