7 year old daughter

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cs6300

7 year old daughter

Postby cs6300 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:01 pm

Hell, my now seven year old daughter is getting ready to have her 5th colonoscopy this upcoming week. She has had several polyps removed. We dicovered this when she was 5 years old and bleeding rectally. the doctors were sure that she had torn during a bowel movement and were not too concerned. I had to be very persistant with the doctors ( her pediatrician was great) it took 3 months, but we were able to get her into the gastroenterologists at the University of Michigan. There is no family history of colon cancer, but there is a strong history of colitis and crohn's disease, however, they do not think that they may be at all related....any thoughts?

janb

Postby janb » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:04 pm

My sister is a RN and works in the one day surgery department assisting in colonoscopies. She has indicated that there have been several young children with polyps come through the door. I think you are doing the right thing by having her checked regularly. I will ask her opinion and get back to you with her insight.

cs6300

7 year old daughter

Postby cs6300 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:06 pm

thank you! I should mention that her polyps are not juvinile...they are hyperplastic familial polyps. ( if that makes a difference)

Re: 7 year old daughter

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:12 pm

cs6300 wrote:thank you! I should mention that her polyps are not juvinile...they are hyperplastic familial polyps. ( if that makes a difference)
PS I meant to say "hello" not Hell in my opening post!!! :oops:

janb

Hang in there

Postby janb » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:06 am

My sister is putting all the literature together for me right now. Maybe tonight I can give you some intelligent information. She is very familiar with your daughters problem.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:30 am

Thank you very much!! I will llok forward to hearing back.

lyn

7 year old daughter

Postby lyn » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:47 pm

Hello there, I am janb's sister. I do work in an endoscopy unit and we screen one to two thousand colonscopies a month. Your daughter is so lucky to have you for an advocate! It 's unusual for such a young lady to have so many polyps! Thank the lord they are hyperplasia. Those kind are usually benign. I am still looking into this and will get back to you if I do come up with any information that may be of value to you.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 am

thank you....I am happy to say that she had her colonoscopy yesterday, they only removed 1 polyp (her last scope was done 6 months ago) We just need to wait for the biopsy report to come back....

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to wish you and your daughter well. Having to go through colonoscopies and being at the doctors all the time is terrible when you're older, never the less a little child. Good luck with everything and I do hope your daughter will be ok. I don't have any children yet, but I know how worried my mom was when I was diagnosed with stage I colon cancer at 21. I just can't even imagine your daughter having to go through 5 colonoscopies already!!! I hope everything turns out alright for you and your family!
Maggie

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:55 pm

do any of you know what her chances are of developing colon cancer? and how long it usually takes to go from polyps to cancer? I know these are morbid questions, but the internet can be so vague and the doctors are in and out in a flash, as they have 30 other patients to see,and these are things you do not necessarily want to talk about in front of a chid as well. I am very optomistic, but at the same time I want to be as prepared to fight this as I can possibly be. I really appreciateyou all.
I will be going in for my colonoscopy in a a month and a half....

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”