Avastin and blood clots

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sue

Avastin and blood clots

Postby sue » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with blood clots while on Avastin. I have read that it is one of the side effects. I had two treatments of Avastin and then had to stop it for a while because I had surgey for a small bowel obstruction (scar tissue). Now I'm on Folfox treatment # 7 and I have to decide if I want to resume it so I'm weighing all my risks again. I'm stage 3 and so far I've tolerated chemo pretty well. Thanks Sue

Christine

I had blood clots.

Postby Christine » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi Sue,

I've been on Avastin since December (for Stage IV) and last month I had two blood clots in my neck/shoulder area. They did not completely block the vessels, but they did cause a lot of discomfort and my neck was swollen. I did not have to be hospitalized, but I did have to start twice daily shots of Lovanox and a daily dose of Coumadin. My blood has thinned out now and the swelling and pain are gone. I no longer have to get the shots, but I will have to continue taking the Coumadin as long as I am getting chemo and perhaps beyond that which means I have to wear a medic alert bracelet now. Anyway, it's been a huge pain, but I'm really hoping that the benefits of the Avastin will outweigh the difficulties that I've had. I had my first post chemo CT Scan today so I'll find out next week how it's actually going.

Christine

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:16 am

how did you know you had blood clot in you neck. I am on avastin only right now and my neck is bothering me alot

Christine

Postby Christine » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:37 pm

The biggest symptom that I had was the swelling of my neck. I couldn't turn my head all the way to the side and it was really difficult to find a comfortable position for sleeping. I could also see veins in my neck and shoulders that were not visible prior to that. As it got worse I had pain in my arms and especially in my armpits. When I talked to my doctor, had had me get an ultrasound which showed two clots.

Christine

susanbm

Avastin & blood clot

Postby susanbm » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:09 pm

I had a blood clot in my left arm about a month after starting my chemo which included Avastin. My oncologist is still not sure whether it was the Avastin or the port which caused it, since they both have been know to do that. I first noticed swelling in my wrist and it went up my arm to my shoulder. My clot was from inside the elbow up to my shoulder. And of course, I had a lot of pain!! They can do an ultrasound to find if you have one. I had to take heparin shots and then stay on coumadin until I finished the Avastin, which I did in March, 06.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”