Neuropthy and Oxiplatin Suggestion

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ASTEPHENS33

Neuropthy and Oxiplatin Suggestion

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:11 pm

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/c ... 10/12/4055

"Prevention of oxaliplatin-related neurotoxicity by calcium and magnesium
infusions: a retrospective study of 161 patients receiving oxaliplatin
combined with 5-Fluorouracil and leucovorin for advanced colorectal cancer."

Results: Only 4% of patients withdrew for neurotoxicity in the Ca/Mg group versus 31% in the control group (P = 0.000003). The tumor response rate was similar in both groups. The percentage of patients with grade 3 distal paresthesia was lower in Ca/Mg group (7 versus 26%, P = 0.001). Acute symptoms such as distal and lingual paresthesia were much less frequent and severe (P = 10-7), and pseudolaryngospasm was never reported in Ca/Mg group. At the end of the treatment, 20% of patients in Ca/Mg group had neuropathy versus 45% (P = 0.003). Patients with grade 2 and 3 at the end of the treatment in the 85 mg/m2 oxaliplatin group recovered significantly more rapidly from neuropathy than patients without Ca/Mg.

Christine

From person experience

Postby Christine » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:06 pm

I've had the calcium and magnesium infusions before and after each dose of oxaliplatin and my neuropathy has been extremely limited. The only time it bothered me was when I visited my family in Wisconsin and was exposed to extreme cold. Even then it wasn't all that bad... just irritating.

Christine

www.coloncancersucksass.blogspot.com

cbroughton

oxyplatin and neuropathy

Postby cbroughton » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi
I haven't visited the board for a while, so it's good to back in touch. Our daughter, age 22 is now receiving chemo, including oxyplatin. From the start she has received the CA and MG before and after each treatment. Her dr. and nurse looked surprised when I asked....sort of like "how did you know that?" Her worst side effect so far has beeen clenching in her jaws, throat, and chest. Her dr. told her double her CA intake, which has helped a great deal.
Altogether this website, the message board and the calendar are a godsend.
Thank you, Molly and everyone who writes in.
Candace

Goofydad

Ca/Mg for neuropathy!

Postby Goofydad » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:45 am

Good information! THis is one of the most troublesome issues my wife deals with after chemo, and now I guess I get to ask a very good question. Must do more research and get doses to share with the good Doctor...

Glenn
Pressure - It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basket-case.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:43 pm

Hello Everyone,
I was on OXALI in 8/03 with cal/mag for 6 mos. It did help with immediate side effects, but I'm still struggling with neuropathy in my feet. I have tried numerous things to help with this problem...accupuncture,reflexology,jin shin jyutsu, which is a healing art that restores energy flow by placing finger tips on designated points. All were helpful, but not curing. It also became expensive.The neuropathy is not painful, just annoying. It used to be my whole foot. Now it is just an inner numbness on the balls of my feet.
Anybody experience this? Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help you can offer!
Carolyn

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”