First chemo tomorrow-question about all these nausea drugs?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sandym

First chemo tomorrow-question about all these nausea drugs?

Postby sandym » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:25 pm

I am starting my chemo (Folfox) tomorrow and had our chemo education classes today. They gave us prescriptions for Emend, Ativan, Decadron and Zofran, do all these drugs really help? It just seems like a lot to take and I was just wondering what everyone one else has used and had good results with. Thanks!!!
43 Year Old Female/Mom/Wife
Colon Resection/Hysterctomy Oct 08/2 Ports Surgeries
Folfox/Folfiri/Cisplatin/Irinotecan/Xeloda
Who knows what now?

bigG

Postby bigG » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Check out my post on November 27. I had the same question and quite a few people had good replies.

Hope this helps.
Stage IV - diagnosed August 15, 2007
Liver/Lung mets
Colon resection - September 1, 2007
xeloda+avastin

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Archie Griffin

bigG

Postby bigG » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Check out the topic "Emend"
Stage IV - diagnosed August 15, 2007

Liver/Lung mets

Colon resection - September 1, 2007

xeloda+avastin

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

Archie Griffin

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:14 pm

All I had were Decadron and Zofran. I had very little trouble with nausea and I had a REALLY big appetite from the Decadron. I had to cut the Zofran back because of constipation. The nausea control was still quite good on the reduced dose.
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

Jeremiah

Works

Postby Jeremiah » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:52 am

Zofran is one of the msot expensive but it worked pretty well for me. Just a tip though, and this may or may not happen to all people. Zofran acts like a sponge, when it hits your stomach it foofs like a sponge and absorbs stuff( non technical hehe). But, this actually made me throw up the first time I took it because it made my stomach spasm kinda. I would recommend keeping this in mind, sit down, relax, put a cold rag on your head and then take it. You may not even experience this sensation.

Just a heads up.
Jeremiah Moore
Stg 4 Colon Cancer: Diag. Apr 18, 06 at Age 32
Personal Website
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistant one." -Albert Einstein

sandym

Postby sandym » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:23 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I have never been much on taking meds and it just was overwhelming when they gave me all these scripts. I have had zofran in the hospital after my surgery last month and did well on it. Glad to hear the Decadron gives an appetite, I have gained back almost 10 lb of the 21 lb I lost after two weeks of liquid diet back in Oct. and I really don't want to lose a lot of weight again. This Emend stuff is extremely expensive-almost $740 for 6 pills (2 packs) although we have excellent insurance and only cost us $25 I was shocked at the price of some of these drugs. I am just leary of taking so much, but the docs are confident all nausea can be kept under control now with the help of these meds. So I guess I will try them this first round and see what happens. I will let everyone know how I do today at chemoville!
Who knows what now?

Hawaii

Postby Hawaii » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Zofran is amazing! I had to take it only twice after my first chemo treatment. When I told my onc. he increased the dosage of Zofran they give me IV before my chemo each time. And I have never had any nausea since then! I have my last chemo treatment next week! I never had any side effects from the Zofran either. I never needed any of the other drugs. I'm not one to take stuff either. Good luck on your journey!!

sandym

Postby sandym » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 pm

First chemo yesterday and I feel great so far. I did take the Emend, and they put Aloxi and Decadron in my IV. I also took one Zofran yesterday morning and one today and have not had any nausea issues. Appetite is great, some minor cold sensativity. My doc said that maybe just do the Emend one more time and then just Zofran and Decadron and Aloxi. I just feel like a walking pharmacy, but if it works who cares!!!! Thanks for the input again I will keep everyone updated. :)
Who knows what now?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Way to go, Sandy! You're on your way!
Dx Stage IIIC CC 3/10/06
Surgery 3/20/06
Folfox 4/06 - 10/06
Avastin 4/06 - 4/07
NED!

http://www.CoverYourButt.org
Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.

murfer1

First Chemo

Postby murfer1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:56 pm

Wow! You actually had a class about chemo before starting?? I'm impressed. I had FOLFOX last fall and dutifully filled all the scrips for nausea and diarrhea before starting chemo, based on my doctor's advice that I would need them. Turns out that the decadron that was given in my "premeds" IV was all that I needed to control nausea, and I never did get diarrhea. In other words I wasted all that money on scrips that I didn't need. My advice would be to only parially fill the scrips so that you have an immediate supply if you need it, then fill the rest of the scrip if you continue to need it down the road. While you're at it, buy a nice hat and some warm gloves to prepare for the neuropathy this winter (from oxalyplatin). I wouldn't say that neuropathy is an awful thing, but it can be uncomfortable.

My prayers and best wishes,
Mark,
Stage IV, Hemicolectomy (9/06), FOLFOX then FOLFIRI + Avastin. Currently in SIR-Spheres intervention.

sean

Postby sean » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:30 pm

I wouldn't drop any meds just yet since you are really just getting your feet wet. My second cycle was one of my worst and I was nauseous and felt like crap the whole 2 weeks. They added Emend starting cycle 3 and it worked great. Everyone reacts differently so you'll just need to find out which drugs work best for you.

If you ever get Neulasta make sure you have some oxycodone or percoset (maybe from your surgery) handy - the "mild bone pain" can be intense. If you get it, a trick that worked for me to minimize the pain was to stay still in bed and if I needed to get up, I'd move very slowly (like Tim Conway's slow old man character on the Carol Burnett Show).

Good luck with your chemo - I hope it goes smoothly for you.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

sandym

Postby sandym » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:23 pm

My doc and chemo educator has advised to stay on Emend for at least 4 cycles, I have had very minimul nausea but have had some acid reflux which I am taking prilosec for. I got hit with fatigue today, not bad just not real perky like always. Got the hat and gloves already courtesy of my mom! Gloves by frig since cold sensitivity has set in also. Other than that, just resting and taking it easy.
Who knows what now?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”