FULFOX5

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
K.A.PRESCOTT

FULFOX5

Postby K.A.PRESCOTT » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:26 am

Hello, I am starting FULFOX5 soon, and I am interested on anyones comments regarding this treatment. I have stage III colon cancer, with surgery about 8" of colon was removed.

Sweet Peg

Fulfox5

Postby Sweet Peg » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:55 am

I guess my best advise is to Listen to your body! While taking Chemo, you will be tired so sleep when your body tells you to. I worked fulltime during my treatment but came home every nite and took a nap for about an hour, got up and ate then back to bed at about 7:30. It worked well for me. Do what the doctors tell you and ask questions all the time if you have them. If you get diarrhea with cramping, make sure they take a stool sample. Infection in the intestines/colon area are a common thing. I had it and went 9 days of being sick before they took a sample and discovered it was bacteria infection and gave me an antibiotic. Drink LOTS of water and try to eat even if you aren't hungry. Try different foods all the time to help with the eating. Watch funny shows, laugh and have a positive attitude!! Positive attitude is about 99.9% of the healing power needed. :D You will do just fine. If you need answers or just some pick me up, write here. Everyone is very helpful and we pray and uphold one another!!! I had Stage IIIa Colon Cancer with about 7 inches of Colon removed. I finished treatment about 7 weeks ago and doing great. You hang in there and let us know if we can help in any way ok!!!

God Bless and will be praying for you! Peg :P

Rochelle

Folfox treatment

Postby Rochelle » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:39 pm

I am on the Folfox treatment program. One of the most challenging aspects of this chemo treatment is the importance of drinking high protein drinks during treatment while fighting nausea-rebuilding muscle and keeping your strength. From my personal experience, I was ordered by nurses that during this time, water was not enough. Protein drinks and creamy soups were advised.

If you can, try to eat some fruit to avoid constipation; I found that my body was dehydrated from the chemo and needed the above foods, including juices, fruits or vegetables to avoid it. The day before chemo, you may also want to drink a large amount of liquids to prepare your body.

Try experimenting with protein smoothies mixed with fruit that sound good to you. Next week I am trying milk protein powder, red. fat ice cream and chopped strawberries as a shake. Bland foods are also recommended; I have baked bread with olive oil and green onion prepared to use for next week during treatment- I have found that bread helps alieve the nausea for me.

Also, in my case, I found that I have no nausea in the morning until around 10:30 a.m., so in the case that I am up early, I start the liquids sooner. In addition, during other treatments, my body may need extra rest and I will find myself sleeping until 10 a.m. (I disconnect the phone to avoid being woken up unexpectedly)

Good Luck and take care

good2smile

Postby good2smile » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:51 pm

Great to know that you all can share your stories. This is what I will be starting on Sept 28th. So reading this is and getting your own feedback can help me and others.

Thanks,
Becca
"Two things I'm learning while Dancing with the Lord......Let him lead, and don't step on HIS toes!"

K.A.PRESCOTT

THANKS TO EVERYBODY

Postby K.A.PRESCOTT » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:13 pm

Last Wednesday I had the chest port implanted, and tomorrow I start chemo. I would to thank everybody for their replys and encouragement. There is a lot of good info in all of the postings on this site. I am so glad I stumbled onto it. I will post how things are going as they progress. Thanks again.
Kevin

good2smile

Postby good2smile » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:46 pm

Hey, Just a reminder.. With your port if it hurts you when they use it, there is some "cream" that can sooth it. Just ask the nurse and they will know what the name of it is. It would hurt if you put the cream on before use.

Becca
"Two things I'm learning while Dancing with the Lord......Let him lead, and don't step on HIS toes!"

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:53 am

Hey Becca!

You're talking about Emla. (I think that's how it's spelled.) I didn't have a port when I was doing chemo (didn't want to get hit with a puck in the port!), so I got stuck with needles every week. My doc gave me a prescription for Elma...and it's GREAT! Matter of fact, I'm thinking about hunting some for my belly button piercing at Colon Palooza in October!!!! 8)

K.A.PRESCOTT

FIRST WEEK

Postby K.A.PRESCOTT » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:22 pm

Well it has been one week since first chemo treatment, and I am pleasantly suprised with everything so far. No nausea or diarrhea, but constipated oh yeah!! Eating prunes and fruit seem to get things moving. Cold sensativaty in hands and it seems anything I put into my mouth to eat is painful for the first few chews then it goes away. And dehydration is also a problem, just cant seem to drink enough. Cat napping alot, some nights sleep good, some up constantly going to the bathroom. Not feeling normal, like one usually does can get you down, but I see light at the end of the tunnel and that is I am concentrating on. This is only a small speed bump in the road of life and we all can get thru it.

Kevin

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:23 am

Good for you Kevin!! I looked at it the same way as you...small speed bump! I know what you mean about the jaw hurting with the first drink or chew after having treatments. Mine usually only happened the first 2 or 3 days during the treatments then gone. My oncologist had never heard of that side effect before till I mentioned it to him. See, we teach them things too!! You just keep hanging in there. It will all be done before you know it!!

Peg

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Kevin, I'm glad things are going well for you. I finished chemo this past May. I think one of the things that kept me going was the fact that many people who had been through chemo kept telling me there is life after chemo. Listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. If you want to exercise and feel strong enough, do it. Try to keep your life as normal as possible. As you have said, this is just a bump in the road-my oncologist said to treat it as an inconvienice. If you have questions or problems, the chemo nurses are an amazing source of information. Don't hesitate to ask them. Best of luck.

Sarah

Newly diagnosed... using folfox6

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:59 pm

Hey everyone. I'm starting folfox6 in about 2 weeks. I'm scared about being sick all the time, but I guess 6 months isn's so bad if it means a healthy life, right?! I do have a question... do most people lose their hair with this treatment? My doctor said he couldn't guarantee anything but he didn't think I would... I'm only 18, I'm a teenage girl.. these things although they seem minor do matter to me. =) Well I'm greatful to know there are people out there to talk to. Luck to everyone with their treatment.

Sarah

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”