CEA from 4000 down to 300!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
rick and June Smith

CEA from 4000 down to 300!

Postby rick and June Smith » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:12 am

So... we just got results back from Rick's first CAT scan since he started his chemo treatments (started November 15th) for Stage IV CC with mets to the Liver. The Doctor said that his CEA count has come down from 4000 (!!!) to 300 - which has got to be good - but the Doctor said that he noticed several areas of "calcification" on the liver on the CAT scan that he says is "unusual at this stage of treatment." He says that he wants to do a PET scan to get more information on what's going on.

What does calcification mean? Does that mean the tumors are dying? Does that mean the Oxaliplatin is so strong it is destroying not only the tumors but his good liver tissue also? And why would the Doctor want a PET scan done (perhaps he wants to be sure that what he is seeing is really cancer tumors on his liver - not just some left over scars from some previous infection Rick might have had)? (Wishful thinking). The Doctor said that he sees no possibility of Rick ever having his liver resected - that a surgeon wouldn't know where to start because the liver is covered in tumors. So why the PET scan?

As you can see, my mind is racing with What Ifs. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar information or experience.

He shall not die. He shall live to proclaim the works of the Lord.

June

Angie

Postby Angie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 pm

I don't know anything about calcification, but I just wanted to let you know about my mom, who had a diagnosis similar to your husband's. She was diagnosed w/ Stage IV with mets to the liver at age 46 in Nov. 2004. Her doctor also told her that there was no chance of a liver resection. Despite this, she met w/ a surgeon at the Mayo Clinic after her chemo had started to show some positive effects on her tumors. Out of the blue, she got a call from Mayo last May--they wanted to do surgery! After a successful surgery she has continued with chemo, and she is finishing what could be her last treatment this week. She will have to undergo scans and tests next month, but we are hoping for the best. I just wanted to share her story because I know how discouraging it can be when a loved one's doctor seems to have little hope. Remember, though, that doctors don't have all the answers, and a lot of them tend to be more pessimistic than optimistic. Because of this experience, my family has learned the importance of hope, prayers, and seeking a second opinion!

Rick and June Smith

Postby Rick and June Smith » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks Angie, that is exactly what I needed to hear! I have scheduled a second opinion appointment at the Moffitt Cancer Center here in Florida (one of the best in Florida I'm told) - but will seek out the Mayo clinic if necessary. Who was your MOther's Doctor at Mayo (which Mayo also). Thanks and may God bless you and your mother and your family.

June

Aunt Marilyn

Postby Aunt Marilyn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi Angie -

My nephew was diagnosed with rectal cancer in October - one large tumor in the rectum - with lots of liver mets. Your reply to Rick and June really caught my eye. Can you share more details of your Mother's surgery - how may tumors and were they able to remove all of them? This site has been a wonderful source of support and information since we started down this road, and your message has given us a new 'road' to explore.
Aunt Marilyn

Angie

Postby Angie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:03 pm

June,
I'm glad to hear you are seeking other options. My mom's surgery was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and her surgeon was Dr. Que (pronounced "Kway"). When she met with other surgeons on my mom's case, she said that some of them didn't think surgery was a good idea, but she is more aggressive than a lot of surgeons. I hope that the appointment in Florida goes well...I will keep you and your husband in my thought and prayers.
Angie

Angie

Postby Angie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi Marilyn,
When my mom first started chemo, I believe she had 30+ tumors in her liver. She had good results with her treatments, though, and by the time she got the call from Mayo I think she had about 11 tumors left. During her surgery they were able to either cut out or use RFA to get rid of all 11 tumors. About 5 months after her surgery, however, they found one more that they had missed, but she went back to Mayo and they "RFA'ed" that one, too. Her last scan in December showed no tumors in her liver, and she is currently finishing up her last round of chemo before she gets extensive scans and tests done next month. Something I remember Mom's surgeon saying is that one of the reasons she ended up being a candidate for surgery is because her tumors responded well to her chemo. She said that the patient must continue with chemo after surgery, so they have to have confidence that it is working. Hope this information is helpful...I know every case is different, but it has definitely helped me to hear about other people's positive experiences fighting stage IV.
Angie

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:15 pm

i have a question - for those who had stage 4, what were your/their symptoms at the time of dx?

i'm due to undergo a pet scan monday or tuesday - CAT scans came back showing a couple of "very tiny" nodules on my lungs, and a couple of "very tiny" nodules on my liver. What has me scared is this - she also said "numerous" lymph nodes showed up in the cat scan indicating possible metasticising. (sp?)

Everything so far is "indeterminite" as to wether or not it is cancer - but i'm having a hard time telling myself that i'm not at stage 4. The only symptoms i've had to date are anemia, and occassional blood in the stool. No constipation, no pain, no diharea.

i think i really need a little feedback on this because i'm having a hard time dealing right now.

thanks, phil

ebcanmg

Postby ebcanmg » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:30 pm

My husband also has stage IV CR Cancer with med to liver, lungs and bones, diag, 5/04 has ostomy and Dr. says no other surgery will be done just chemo. His cea levels have been rising but ct scans show no change so I read about the pet scans and asked why wouldn't they do one. This was on Wed this week pet scan set up for Monday. This will show any cell that is abnormal. He was taken off Oxplatin? and put on Irinotecan this week and has been sick since. Don't think he will be able to do that one, does anyone know of another chemo for colonrectal cancer.

MRF

Postby MRF » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi...
Just want to add my two cents about having hope. My 44 husband was dx in July 05 with colorectal cancer with MANY mets to liver. Locals Docs told me they could help by giving me the number to hospice! My husband is very healthy and had little to no symptoms of this disease (he was an international airline pilot!). We sought out docs at UPMC (Pitt) who gave a clean margins surgery and ordered systemic chemo. He was not considered a candidate for liver resection. Fast forward to January 06 and he has had an awesome response to chemo and in a few weeks the Pitt docs plan to remove a good section of liver and do a little RFA! Followed by more systemic chemo. All involved are blown away by his response ( he does juice and drink essiac tea daily). We have faith in God, family and the constant pursuit of good medical care. We know we still have a long road ahead that could take many paths....we have much to push for including our 3 young boys. Hang in there...we all must!

God Bless,
MFH in VA

Aunt Marilyn

Postby Aunt Marilyn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:46 pm

Hi Angie -

Thank you so much for your reply. I have passed the info along to my sister and nephew - it's the first really positive thing we've seen re someone who had many liver mets (though I know there are more success stories out there :P ), and now a second positive story has appeared in this same thread. I know that no two people react exactly the same way to anything, but hearing that somebody has beaten the same prediction he was given is really inspiring, and that's so important in this fight. My nephew is tolorating his chemo well and will be scanned in late March to check progress. He is one of those whose bloodwork doesn't tell the story. Best wishes to everyone on this site - kick butt!
Aunt Marilyn

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”