Skin Dryness - Help!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Skin Dryness - Help!

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:17 pm

I have just discovered this website and need advice. I'm on my third round of different chemo drugs now for Stage IV colon cancer with mets to the lungs and pelvis. I am on Erbitux weekly and Camptosar (Irinotecan) every 3 weeks. I have only had 3 rounds of the Camptosar thus far. I was previously on 5FU and Leucovorin for 6 months and then Avastin, Oxiliplatin, 5FU pump for 2 days and Leucovorin for 8 months.

With these new drugs I find that my skin is drying out so fast - I have no moisture left anywhere. I have tried some lotions but nothing seems to help. My face is very dry as well. I also have the rash on face, chest and back with the Erbitux.

Can anyone suggest lotions that work?

This website is wonderful and I'm glad I found it. I'm not alone in this and find encouragement in everyone's comments.

dry skin

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi! I was on Erbitux and FOLFOX as well, and my skin was so dry it hurt! There is no "cure all", but my doctors (and the pharmacist) suggested using Eucerin (maybe called Aquaphor). It is an extremely thick cream/lotion that I would literally lather on. My hands were the worst - so dry and cracked during the winter - I would lather it on until they were white and put on some cotton gloves to lock it in (mostly at night). My skin is still dry 6 months out of chemo, but not nearly as horrible as it was during chemo. I also actually resorted to cutting open vitamin E tablets and smearing them on my face, etc. It was gross and greasy, but releved some of that pain and discomfort.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

AnthonyKramer

Stuff I use

Postby AnthonyKramer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:10 am

Greetings Colon Club Guest.
I have very dry skin too and also use a product that has been wonderful for me over the past few years and continues to work while I am on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Leucovrin. The product brand is called Dr. Hauschka. It is a little spendy, but it works VERY well. Basically, I use two creams. I first apply the Quince Day Cream and then sparingly apply the Rose Day Cream after I have rubbed in the Quince stuff. The lotions come in 30gram tubes, and when used properly will last you a few months. I have only been able to find this stuff at Organic-type grocery stores. Here is a link from their website that lists stores that carry this product: http://www.drhauschka.com/locator_fr.html

Also, their hand cream is really good and so is the rose body lotion. I also suggest just buying the Quince Day Cream and asking the merchant if they have samples of the Rose Day Cream and the Rose Body Cream, so that you don't spend on it and find out that you don't like it. Trust me, the retailers usually have tons of different product samples and won't tell you about them if you don't ask. I also use their Rosemary Body Oil on dry patches and I like that too.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

best,

AnthonyK

tamfigg

Aquaphor

Postby tamfigg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 am

This stuff is the best for skin. I had terrible skin during chemo, blochy, and dry all over. I used this and it did help, you can get it at your local store. Aquaphor.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”