Anyone taking Xeloda?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Anyone taking Xeloda?

Postby Candyys03 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I was on Xeloda before but only one tab a day and the side affects weren't too bad.This time I will be taking 3 tabs in the morning and 3 tabs in the evening Monday thru Friday no weekends.I am aware of ALL of the side affects but I want to know how others are dealing with it and any advice you might have for me.
Thanks,
Candy
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

BrownBagger

Re: Anyone taking Xeloda?

Postby BrownBagger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm

3,000 to 3,500 mg per day is a pretty typical dose, either alone or with Oxyliplatin or radiation, Candy. While some people have problems on those treatment regimes (I've done all three), many don't consider them to be a big deal, as chemo goes. I took a daily dose like that for about a month last summer leading up to my lung surgery and honestly didn't even notice it after the first couple of days. Longer-term, you tend to get issues with your hands and feet--cracking and even redness--but the only time I had foot cracking, it was minimal and easily treated. I concluded that with my earlier treatments, it was the oxi or the radiation that gave me the most problems--not the X.

So I'd pay attention to how your body reacts, but I wouldn't worry too much about side effects unless they start to appear. If they do, let you onc know what's going on and see what he/she says.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Bill5107

Postby Bill5107 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I'll second BB's comments here. I took Xeloda for 42 days (6 weeks) during my 30 days of radiation treatment.

I got nauseous on the 3rd dose, but my oncologist had me set up with a pair of antinausea meds that solved it completely for me. It did take a bit to learn to take them on a schedule, i.e. not wait to get nauseous.

Beyond that, cracking fingers was my issue as well. It wasn't bad, and lotion kept it from being a problem.

For me, I took 4 pills in the AM and then 3 in the PM, corresponding to a 3500mg/day dose, if you are curious.

Good luck.
2010-07-02 Dx rectal cancer (Stage 3)
'-07-21 Chemoradiation
'-10-13 APR surgery, 10/18 nodes still active
'-11-22 12x2wk rnds FOLFOX
2011-12-07 Mets X-P
Don't retreat, reload!

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 am

Although I took intravenous 5-FU prior to surgery, my post-surgery chemo was Xeloda alone. (It is often given with Oxalyplatin). My only serious side effect was hand/foot syndrome, which happens to be the most frequent side effect occuring with Xeloda. It started as minor and did not start to be troublesome until round 9 when my feet swelled slightly, creating a strange unbalancing sensation when I walked. After the chemo finished the symptoms disappeared in about 6 weeks; although the swelling lasted somewhat longer. Overall, it didn't cause significant quality of life problems. If I had also recived the Oxy, that would probably have made my problems worse.
NOTE: I was on the one week on/one off schedule, which usually means less bothersome symptoms compared with the more traditional TWO weeks on/one off schedule.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am

I am currently taking Xeloda. I recently had my dosage reduced, as my new oncologist said that I was at the extreme high end of the dosage, According to him, and his research, there is no benefit to being on the high end vs the mid to lower end. Therefore, due to my side effects, he decreased mine by about 20%.

The first 2 weeks I had extreme fatigue by about Day 9 or 10, to the point that I had to go back to bed each morning, and if I had a busy day, the next day I would be in bed or on the couch for sure! This has been greatly reduced in my last round. I start round 4 today, and hope it goes well.

Another side effect that I have, that the oncologist says is not one of the more common ones, but does happen, is extreme tearing and the feeling of glass or sand in my eyes. I look like I am constantly crying, and also have extreme blurred vision at times. He could offer no solution for this one. I also had some mouth sores last round. They were irritating, but not that bad. I do get the tingling and redness in my hands, although again with the reduction in dosage, it was better this past round.

Also, and this is just my opinion, while you did well on Xeloda suring radiation, please keep in mind that this dosage may be double what you were receiving back then, mine was, and that is why my reaction was different. I am not saying this will be your case, but don't be surprised if this time is different.

Nausea for me is bearable, I usually find it the worst about 1 hour after taking the pills, and lasting about an hour. Not great, but not that bad

My thoughs are to keep your team informed of every little thing, because they put it ALL together, and can tweak your dosage/regime. My doc wants to keep me on the 2 weeks on, 1 week off regime if possible, as this delivers more chemo than the 1 week on/week off regime. I am not sure why, but he did the calculation. If my symptoms continued to be overly bothersome, he said that would be an option.

Good luck to you...

Tammylayne
Last edited by tammylayne on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:18 am

i took it for 7 days and was really very fatigued that could be since i have had no chemo in 3 years or it is just how it affected me. also i was very itchy. had my 7 days off and will start again on monday and see what happens this time.

missjv

Nanette
Facebook Username: Nanette Pepperday-Derry

Postby Nanette » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Bruce was on Xeloda while doing his radiation treatments in the middle of his Folfox treatment. He took four pills in the morning and three pills in the evening. He was on them Monday through Friday for five weeks. He tolerated the Xeloda better than the Folfox. I want to say the only side effect during the Xeloda/radiation I can remember was the fatigue. And I think that was from the radiation, not the Xeloda.

Good luck and hoping you have an easy time on it.
-Nanette
Husband, Bruce - diag. 12/07/08 at age 50
Stage IIIB CC, poorly diff, muc. adeno, sig. ring cell
Stage I bladder cancer
1 of 17 LN affected
Colonectomy 12/11/08
Finished chemo/rad on 8/19/09
Four years NED on 12/11/12 - Thank God!!
Livin' life!!!!!!

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:34 pm

im a little affraid of the dosage for me 4 pills am and 4 pills pm im not really very big and im wondering if it is too much especially since i am recovering from rfa i know doc means well and wants me to do mop up chemo but i think it is too much.

missjv

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Missjv;

The formula they use for dosage is based on your body mass. They times that by a number, and that determines the dosage. I was on 4000 mg, and my new oncologist reduced it to 3300. I am 190 pounds, so definately a bigger lady. If you are small, or tiny, and your dosage is higher than mine, you might want to ask your oncologist if it is possile to reduce the dosage and still be effective. I certainly feel better on the lowered dosage, and since my new oncologist is heavy into research, I trust his judgement.

Good luck...

Tammylayne
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:55 pm

wow i check in at 155 and i am 5'7 i think i will see if they can lower my dose. thank you.

missjv

juliej

Postby juliej » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm one of the long-time Xeloda users here. I've been taking Xeloda for 12 cycles now (just started cycle #13) and have minimal side effects. No fatigue, no nausea, no eye issues, or mouth sores. I got hand/foot syndrome after a few cycles - no blisters, but red, sometimes hot, dry skin. I had great calluses on my feet from doing tai chi, hiking, etc. and they all peeled off, which was a bummer because the skin on the bottoms of my feet is more sensitive now. If you do get hand/foot syndrome, apply a strong lotion (Bag Balm, Udderly Smooth) every day. Also avoid tight-fitting shoes and be careful using your hands around rough materials.

I don't have hand/foot problems the whole cycle. It typically shows up the second week on Xeloda and then goes away a few days after the last pill. So I have a period of close to 2 weeks (first and third week) with no to minimal symptoms.

As far as dosage, I take 3 tabs in the morning and 3 tabs in the evening - as close to 12 hours apart as I can get. It's really important to take the pills within 30 minutes of a meal. I usually wait 15 minutes and take them with a large glass of water.

It's different for everyone, of course, but for me Xeloda is not a big deal. I wish you the best with your treatment -- and feel free to ask more questions if something comes up when you start the Xeloda!

Julie
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

keepcalmcarryon
Facebook Username: me

Postby keepcalmcarryon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 pm

When I've had xeloda my onc recommended taking "preemptive" action against hand-foot syndrome by sliming my hands and feet several times a day with something like uidderly sMooth cream. Also, gargling with a liTtle salt and baking soda in water helpsprevent mouth sores. I always take probiotics, too, I think they help prevent diarrhea
9/07 t3 n2
exc. biop, Xelox, Rad
06/08 NED
03/09 PET-pelvic LN
06/09 rad tx
10/09 exp.lap; can't find LN
05/10 Stage IV, lung nodes
04/10 Xeliri, Avastin
06/10 PET-lung ok
11/ 10 failed surg ln
02/11 Proton tx
7/11 failed clin. Trial
10/11- xelox

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Candy I was on 3000 mg a day for about a year and a half with another chemo and alone. One of the biggest problems I had was gas pain in my chest, so have some GasX or beano just in case. It was alright at the beginning of the 2 week period but toward the last couple of days I would tire easily. I also had problems with constipation so have miralax or something in case you do. The other problem I had, but for me it took a long time to develop was the hand/foot syndrome. Find a really good lotion and start using it right away. My feet would also get really itchy, so the Eucerin Calming Cream really worked well, it took the itch away almost immediately. I had peeling on the feet and my thumbs peeled at which point I increased the times I used the lotion and it usually got back under control.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:29 pm

I just finished 3months of chemo- 5flu,erbitux and irinotecan and I also take warfarin.
I will be taking the xeloda pills by themselves,without any other chemo.
Already have- neuropathy which comes and goes,dry/cracked hands and feet(from the erbitux)
red rash/(like chicken pox and diaper rash in places-from the erbitux)
itchy/ flaky skin(from the erbitux)
blurred eyes(comes and goes)
nausea
fatigue
mouth sores
What I do not want to get is the diarrhea especially if it's anything like the horrific diarrhea from the irinotecan
I was also hoping to be able to drive.
The lotion I am using now is the aquaphour and the udderly smooth,and foot lotion on my feet.
Now I will be prepared for gas too.
I hope it's like the 5flu and it's manageable.
The side affects list I was given has everything on it,kind of scary, much more than listed in the sites below-
http://www.xeloda.com/index.aspx?q=Xelo ... =firefox-a (This site also can help some people with the cost-but not me I have an HMO and pay $45 copy for a 2 week supply :cry: )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeloda
I really appreciate all of your help.
Thank you all very much!
Candy :)
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

kimmercans
Facebook Username: kimschlagel@msn.com

Postby kimmercans » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:09 am

The only chemo I took was Xeloda. I have been off for a year. I took 3000mg /day during radiation and maintained with 2000/day. Keep in mind I swapped onc's after radiation and my new onc said 3000 was way too much for me. I am 5'8" and was 140 pounds then. I faired pretty well. Fatigue and mild hand foot syndrome. I continue to have hand and foot sensitivity....can't crumple a piece of paper because it hurts to much....can't walk barefoot on a rough surface....but nothing that is compromising my life. Just a reminder every now and then.
Best Wishes'
Kimberly Age 54 Diagnosed at 44
Dx'd rectal ca 10/12/09
LAR,TME 10/14/2009 Stage 2a
Opted out of Folfox.
4/19/12 CT scan clear NED CEA<0.5
10/2019 still NED
Taking curcumin, Celebrex, vitamin d, digestive enzymes, bio identical hormone replacement.
2015 to present. Stopped all surveillance. Living life one glorious day at a time.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”