Butt Burn

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Butt Burn

Postby NWgirl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Soooo.......up until recently I seemed to be managing my bowels pretty well. Changed my diet - no dairy, limited sugar, limited processed foods. Citrucel as needed.

But with going back on chemo - yikes. It seems all my changes have been in vain because my butt is on fire again!!!! I'm on 5FU and Avastin right now. Do others (especially those who have had an ostomy then had it reversed) on this chemo regimen have problems with frequency/burning issues? I thought I had this under control, but this past week (and I didn't even have chemo last week) has been pure hell. I don't even know what to do to get a handle on this - I'm going to try to scale back my eating to basic foods - oatmeal, apple sauce, eggs - boring stuff that should be really easy to digest. Last night I was in so much pain I resorted to 2 percoset and half a bottle of wine (I normally don't drink at all on chemo). It worked, but obviously I can't use this type of self medication on a regular basis. Would be nice though wouldn't it?

I guess what I'm asking is anyone who had control of their bowel issues - then went on chemo and had problems - what did you do to calm things down again?
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

nicola smith

Re: Butt Burn

Postby nicola smith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:57 pm

NWGirl, I've had my ileostomy reversed (I have no colon)but have never experienced chemo with a normal butt as I had a bag the whole time. The IBD Sucks website has a web page called How to Soothe a Taco Butt" which might be helpful.

For the butt pain of reversal, I use calmoseptin and another compound the recipe for which is on the Taco Butt page. Here is a link to the page but you will probably have to register to access it. [url]http://ibdsucks.utah.edu/webx?13@13.FIQLeKNJsjT^3@.ee73e7d[/url]

Just in case, here is the compound copied from the page: "from Mary Surman, ET. You will need a prescription: Westcort 15 grams, Nystatin oral suspension 20cc, Zinc Oxide 225 grams. Have the pharmacist mix the above together and then you apply to affected area as needed. Ask your doc to make this a PRN refill".

I am sure you are already doing sitz baths with epsom salts and using the softest TP available.

What I found the best solution for me was an investment in a kind of toilet seat that replaces your existing toilet seat and acts as a bidet including wash and dry functions. The water spray is gentle and soothing and with the dry function, you never even have to use TP. These are pricey and I'm not sure I would have bought one if I hadn't wanted it anyway - here's the website http://www.biobidets.com. Now I am so glad I did.
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I've had chemo since my reversal and the butt burn that goes along with the diarhea. My best relief tip is to get the softest toilet paper on the market (I like quilted northern) and load up on butt paste with lots of zinc oxide. I rotate between Desitin, Balmex, and Monkey Butt Paste (yes, that's a real name!). Apply generously every time you go, unless you are clustering with your bowel movements and going every 5-10 minutes with minimal evacuation. Warm sitz bath also works. Butt burn is NO FUN.

Sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes usually help me get my diet back on track. bananas, Rice, applesauce, toast (BRAT diet), etc... also help
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

Twinsmom

Postby Twinsmom » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I still go 5-10 times a day minimum and so I'm no stranger to butt burn. My recipe is to use nothing but diaper wipes. If the burn gets really bad, I spread a soft diaper cream on the wipe before I use it. If necessary, I use a squeeze bottle of warm water to clean up. I use the diaper wipes even when my butt isn't burning - never wipe with anything else. This keeps the problem completely under control. Good luck, Belle!

Wendy
rectal cancer dx 12/19/08 at age 46
49 yrs old
stage IIa
chemoradiation 6 weeks Jan 09-Feb09
surgery 4/13/09, clean margins, temp ileo
Folfox 5/09 - 10/09
Takedown 12/07/09
Clean CT scans April, 2010 and May 2011: NED
Twin sons, age 13

lorrainem
Facebook Username: https://www.facebook.com/lorraineaminogue

Postby lorrainem » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 pm

I still swear by hemorroid wipes, I've used both Preparation H and the store brands, both good. Then Calmoseptine and if it's really bad, warning here comes the TMI part, using surgical gloves insert some of the Calmoseptine into the area. Not sure if that's the right thing or not, but I get relief 95% of the time from my own little system. I hope you find yours, this sucks.
Chemorad/Surgery/Chemo
Stage II, no mets, no nodes NED 05/08 again 08/08 again 11/08
Ileostomy reversal 10/16/08

jjlist

Postby jjlist » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:30 pm

i didnt have chemo with my illestomy

but

bananna and white toast slows things down for me. mashed poatao helps too. immodium works well for me. a half pill will slow me way down. although it makes me constipated,,,,,
be very careful with the percocet and alcohol. i was doing that due to pain from clustering and rectal spasam for couple of weeks during my early post reversal. it sure took the edge off.
age 56
11/16/09 DIAG low rectal tumor ST II T3N0M0
12/21/09 chemopump radiation
3/18/10 suregry colo-anal anastomosis, no nodes,.
4/29/10 Abcess infection
6/3/10 started 12 folfox sessions completed 10.
1/11/11 ileostomy takedown

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm

For food Belle, you might want to try white potatoes, yams, and dates. The dates in particular seemed to help me "gel" up the stool - both during chemo and post takedown.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

edsandra

Postby edsandra » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am

I am a survivor of rectal cancer. I suffered terribly with a bleeding burning butt for many months after my ileostomy reversal. My problem is multiple (ten to twenty) bowel movements each day. The multiple cleanups were rubbing me raw. I had trouble getting to sleep each night due to the burning sensation. I searched the Internet for “bidet reviews” out of desperation and found this site:
http://www.poopreport.com/Consumer/bide ... _buck.html

The site contains a description of a number of devices that turn an ordinary toilet into a bidet. I ended up buying a Biffy from http://biffy.com/ for $60 plus $7 shipping. It is the best money I have ever spent. I no longer have a bleeding burning butt. I hope this post helps others with raw butts. :)

It has been a year and a half since I installed my Biffy and I continue to be thankfull. When I am away from home for 5 or 6 hours my butt starts to bleed from multiple cleans ups with toilet paper. When I get home the Biffy is a great help in stopping the butt burn. I also recommend a skin protectant "Clear Moisture Barrier Ointment" Made by Coloplast to sooth the burning. http://www.activeforever.com/p-2815-col ... tment.aspx I believe that the radiation thapery made my anal skin extremly tender.
Ed
DX rectal 4/1/08
28 Rad 5FU 24/7
Surgery 1 of 16 nodes 8/6/08
Stage III T2,N1,M0
FolFox 3 Treat 10/8/09
Flox 12 Treat 2/4/09
Stopped Eloxatin 12/31/08 feet tingle
Ileo rev 2/19/09 blockage 4/7/09
60 Hyperbaric Oxygen 8/14/09 rad damage
NED Jan 2012

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions-I'm going to print out this thread and work my way through it. The butt burn has since resolved, but since I had chemo yesterday, I'm ready for anything this week. I most likely will do the bidet, along with the other suggestions. The diet suggestions are all good and all things I like, but it's not going to completely resolve my issues. Then again, eating healthy - even if it helps just a little, is always worthwhile!
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Mon May 01, 2017 3:50 pm

I never know how I'm going to respond from one round to the next ... but I think I've had more than my share of butt burn. This last round was pretty tough in that regard but I stumbled on a remedy two days ago that is working well for me: coconut oil suppositories that you make yourself. I found it on an online pregnancy forum. Here's the link to the post plus another link for how to make your own:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/january-2015-babies/topic/hemorrhoids-i-found-my-cure.html
https://www.earthclinic.com/coconut-oil-for-hemorrhoids.html

I've only been using them for 2 days but the difference is remarkable. I'm not healed but the pain level is way down. You just need to make sure you're wearing a pad or adult diaper to keep the coconut oil off your clothes.
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

TXLiz

Postby TXLiz » Tue May 02, 2017 12:27 am

I had really bad butt burn early in chemo, and would shower after using the bathroom. I'd use baby soap and air dry for as long as possible after the shower.

I know too much washing and soap can be drying as well, but it really helped me to shower and air dry.
Vomiting and blockage 9/19/16 46 y F
R hemi colectomy 9/20/16
Stage 3 B CRC, located in cecum
3 out of 16 lymph nodes positive
perineural invasion/lymphovascular invasion
infiltrating, mod differentiated adenocarcinoma with a mucinous component
separate tumor nodules present in pericolonic adipose tissue
MSI-high
Baseline PET scan clear 9/16 CEA 0.5
FOLFOX 10/16- 3/17
April 16th, CT scan clear. CEA 1.1
Lynch "inconclusive"
Colonoscopy 10/5/2017 clear

mesh123

Postby mesh123 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Avoid vegetables no matter what it is raw or cooked, I had my reversal 4 month ago and the only things that caused me a butt burn is eating vegeis, I always eat KFC chicken and no problem lol.

p.s I have j-pouch, rectum and colon completely removed.

Good luck with ur chemo.
26 years old, Male, age of diagnosis 25.
DX: Rectal Cancer (RC) and Colon Cancer (CC)
Tumor Location: Rectum 5.4 on the day of surgery, 9cm before radiation.
Tumor grade: G3: Poorly differentiated (high grade)
T3N0M0
Stage: III
Positive lymph nodes: Zero
Primary surgery type:
LAR, J-pouch reversal
Radiation 6 weeks follow with Xelox prior surgery. After 6 round of Xelox&Flofox.
if you have any question about my jornery please message me.

Need2talk
Facebook Username: Janicejones

Postby Need2talk » Sat May 13, 2017 10:19 pm

I tried many things after my surgery and calmoseptin rocked

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”