Pink Pink Pink Pink Pink Pink Pink and More Pink

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
vman1300

Re: jet blue

Postby vman1300 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:20 am

CBLACK wrote:I remember someone posting about Jet Blue airlines putting the blue ribbon or star on their planes.

That would be great!

http://vman-1300.blogspot.com/

Stage IV DX 8-13
bowel resection 8-20-07
Liver and lung mets
12 cycles Folfox w/avastin
9 cycles Folfuri w/avastin
Bowel blockage surgery 10-24-08

suew

pink

Postby suew » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:56 am

Why can't there just be one CANCER awareness that involves ALL cancers? I see little kids dying of leukemia’s (and other cancers) so often--just ask Marlo Thomas.....what about them and all the other cancers. Breast cancer and colon cancers are not the only cancers. I say we pull them all together as one!! With one BIG multi ribbon!!! Then divide the proceeds equally for research.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:10 pm

I was just venting about this the other day! I am glad I am not alone. I participated in a Run/Walk 5K in Baltimore for colon cancer (sponsored by Susie's Cause http://www.coloncancerfoundation.org/) and the next weekend was the race for the cure (in Baltimore). You saw pink everywhere. I hardly saw any blue when I did the colon cancer 5K.

I even went to Breast Fest here in Baltimore and wore pink for the occasion. I think we just all need to get out there and start getting some "traditions" started. 5Ks, fests, etc. to raise awareness and funds. I know I am meeting with the director from Susie's Cause this weekend and I plan to be very involved - I want to make a difference!

I know October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, but I know that in March we will not see nearly as much blue or as many commercials, or shows dedicated to our cause. We all need to get out there and make it happen!!!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 pm

I think I heard that Susan Komen Race for the cure had someone who was willing to put up a substantial amount of money and had some political connections. This is what is needed to start the program for us.
My employer is very big into the pink thing... Ironically the only dept that is not pink is mine... THE PHARAMCY! It is not that I am against it but considering that in this store in the last 3 years we have had 2 employess with colon cancer and the sister of another with it. But we have not had any employee that we know of with breast cancer.
Like others I wish all this effort would be directed toward all cancers.

Come in ask me about my cancer or get a colonoscopy prep or even mention colorectal cancer and I will give you a blue pin. I am trying.

Joy

Postby Joy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:02 pm

We just got back from supper and I experienced what I consider the extreme "pink-pushing" One of the dessert was pink cupcakes with little pink heart shaped candies. I said to the waitress I'll have chocolate cake I'm a colon cancer survivor. My hubby almost fell of the chair laughing,

You said it folks boobs are "fun" butts are not.

If you read some of my prior posts you will see that I'm very vocal about pink pink pink.

FiG-S~

Postby FiG-S~ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:13 pm

So glad to hear my thoughts aren't isolated!

Last March, the drug reps dropped off a pin (star ribbon combo) for colorectal cancer. It was from the colon cancer alliance (CCA). I haven't looked at it too closely but it lists money spent on breast/cervical, prostate, and colon. It encourages to contact political reps. There are also local chapters and how you can start your own... Perhaps this is one way to start by expanding things locally with the support of this organization. Not sure, like I said, I didn't read it too closely. www.ccalliance.org
Diagnosed 12/06 @ 35, stage IV

rthornton

Blast your ass ... free of tumors!!

Postby rthornton » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 pm

I have an idea for colon cancer awareness month, that I plan to pitch to a couple of local coffee shops. It's a little on the absurd side, but I think it might work in my neighborhood.

My favorite coffee drink is a mocha cappucinno, and a tumor is often called an adenocarcinoma. Adenocarcinoma + Mocha Cappucinno = Adeno-Mocha-Noma. The adeno-mocha-noma is a mocha cappucinno, prepared as usual, with the froth (or whip cream) leveled at the top, using a knife. Bit of chocolate will then be spread upon the white, level surface, along with drops of red food coloring. This will represent one of the warning signs of colorectal cancer (blood in the stool, in case you missed that). For those that order an adeno-mocha-noma in a to-go cup, sleeves will be printed that include some facts & figures about colorectal cancer, along with the explanation "Blast your ass free of tumors ... proceeds from the sale of this drink benefit colon cancer research" or something like that. I am preparing a webpage to propose the coffee drink (it's also a class project in my graduate program, so I hope to get a good grade in my graphic design class), and I really do plan to propose it. Maybe ... who knows ... it might catch on.

FiG-S~

Postby FiG-S~ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:03 pm

Just had a thought. I used to run 5Ks and 10Ks. Several of them were sponsored by the local running club. Perhaps contacting them could help kick off more runs. I used to check out The Runners Journal online to find local races; on the calendar there is contact info for the races, some of those people may be of help. In addition, you can google running club in your nearest big city. Locally, we have a 5K women's only walk/run. (It funds mammograms for needy women). A local hospital puts it on. It is really neat because it gets both runners and walkers. Another local hospital does a heart strides 5K.
Diagnosed 12/06 @ 35, stage IV

janb

Postby janb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:21 pm

"Blast your ass free of tumors" ... Rodney- I love it!
Jan
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

eitter

Postby eitter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:27 pm

I have contacted someone in charge the events below:

http://www.getyourrearingear.com/

They have events in some parts of the US, maybe near you or if not you can start one. I am going to try and start a race/walk in March in Phoenix, so I will keep you all posted.

We should get some ideas for March, wearing Blue shirts as much as possible, getting the blue stars. I ordered 100 blue stars and hand them out to family and friends, they are only $20 for 100:

https://secure.ga1.org/05/c3materials

I also saw on the website that they had days in March wear people wore blue at work etc.

We Will Turn march into Blue Month!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:28 pm

PINK, as in breast cancer awareness, is the "TRENDY" disease to support. ("Hey look at me and how much I care....") That may sound a bit uncaring to say it, but it's true. You see so many people jump all over each other to support breast cancer awareness than you do any other disease. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, and not that we (colon cancer survivors) want the attention per se, but CC scares people away. Even my hockey team, who is well aware of my colon cancer, can't commit (yet) to even a small cc awareness mention at a game in March. But, there's a breast cancer awareness thing coming up soon and (not surprisingly) they're all over it. I'm glad they are, of course, but I'm also disapointed that they can't do something even low key in March.

Lots of effort and small steps I guess. All we as CC people can do, is our best to spread the word. Awareness is already growing, but we just have to keep at it.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

Pink, Pink, Pink

Postby jane » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:39 am

Hi everyone,
I live in Australia and it's the same here! It's breast cancer awareness month and I am sick of it!!! Womens mags are full of stories, there are pink fundraiser dances/balls etc, tomato sauce, biscuits - I could go on!! It is important to find a cure for ALL cancers, so I happily have a direct debit to the "Cancer Research Fund". If all the money raised was pooled rather than divvied up into smll amounts, perhaps a cure would be found faster! I know that all cancers are not the same (EX nurse), but I do feel dividing resources up may not be the way to attack this.

One little gripe - If you have had breast cancer in my local area there are some great support networks, but not for CC. I would like to join the breast cancer dragon boat team but I can't - wrong cancer!!!! Iknow some of the girls with breast cancer who go dragon boating together and it seems like such good fun - and great exercise, which we all know is a great preventative for CC reccurrence!!!

Cheers,

Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

cmindc

Postby cmindc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:56 am

I posted this about a month ago.....

About the pink ribbon people - if you ever wonder how that happened... Self magazine started the pink ribbon. They devote their October issue to breast cancer and they started the pink ribbon.

But what really got the pink movement started.... One name for you - Nancy Brinker. Nancy Brinker made a promise to her dying sister Susan G. Komen as she was dying of breast cancer that she would put an end to breast cancer. Susan died, Nancy asked a bunch of her wealthy Texas friends for large sums of money and voila - The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the Race for the Cure was born! That was the early 90s. What the Race for the Cure did for breast cancer was incredible. Suddenly hundreds of thousands of women no longer had to be ashamed or embarrassed about their cancer and could talk about it and celebrate being a Survivor. She really got that movement started as well. Getting women to openly call themselves Breast Cancer Survivors was huge. People loved the Race for the Cure. Before that there was no event that celebrated having cancer and tuned it into something to honor and recognize. In the summer of 2001 Runner's World wrote a big story about the race in Texas and cities everywhere started clammoring to have one of their own and it quickly became the largest 5K race in the world. (the Bay to Breakers race in San Fran swaps that title with RFTC every couple years). The Komen Foundation (now called Komen For A Cure) is a fundraising machine. Nancy Brinker is a force, she's friends with the Bushes, she was not afraid to ask anyone and everyone for money and truly believed in the promise she made to her sister. She talked to anyone who would listen and even those who wouldn't listen. Nancy ended up getting bc as well. So, now she's a survivor, too.

As non-profits go, Komen is young, but what they have done in such a short time is amazing. Every company wanted to be part of the "??? For A Cure." It was great marketing and their target audience was women. Women who got organized and vocal and were happy to not have to suffer in silence.

Why am I typing all this??? Probably because I have a soft spot for pink ribbons since my Mom is a 2 time breast cancer survivor. She got it again after 20 years. But I watched her suffer in silence in 1985, when no one talked about it and women kept it to themselves. Fast forward to 1992 and the first RFTC in Detroit and I wore a sign on my front and back for my Mom and we ended up on the front page of the Detroit Free Press Sunday edition. Suddenly the entire state knew my Mom had had bc. It was the most liberating thing for her.

Anyway, I don't know what the colorectal movement needs to do to become as big as Komen. Katie Couric was working like a house of fire for a while. There was a huge concert here in DC on the Mall in 2000 for colorectal cancer. Tons of celebs and famous singers - it was huge! Seemed like alot was going to happen and then it sort of fizzled out. But it would be great if there was someone like a Nancy Brinker with the determination and the resources (rich friends to start) who would propel colorectal cancer to the front of the line...

Til then, we need to sell lots of calendars and talk talk talk talk about what's happened to us. It's a start!
Rectal Cancer - Stage II (T3 N0) 34 yrs old
Diagnosed 12.22.06
Radiation, Xeloda, Oxiliplatin - Winter 07
APR w/permanent colostomy 4/07
Folfox - Summer/Fall 07
Follicular Lymphoma - diagnosed 3.10.09
6 2-day Rituxan/Bendamustine cycles
NED - 11.26.09

johnmeissner

Re: Blast your ass ... free of tumors!!

Postby johnmeissner » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:12 pm

rthornton wrote:I have an idea for colon cancer awareness month, Adenocarcinoma + Mocha Cappucinno = Adeno-Mocha-Noma. Maybe ... who knows ... it might catch on.

That's just gross! :shock:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! :D

Make mine a double. 8)
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Me Too - All Blue

Re: pink

Postby Me Too - All Blue » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:02 pm

suew wrote:Why can't there just be one CANCER awareness that involves ALL cancers? I see little kids dying of leukemia’s (and other cancers) so often--just ask Marlo Thomas.....what about them and all the other cancers. Breast cancer and colon cancers are not the only cancers. I say we pull them all together as one!! With one BIG multi ribbon!!! Then divide the proceeds equally for research.

In our small community we set aside one weekend, usually in May, to participate in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life event. Unlike a regular walk/run, it is a 24 hour team event. Survivor's of every type of cancer are honored. It is a carnival-like, family friendly event.

There is no one type of cancer that receives the focus or the funds that are raised. It seems well received, but can't compete with the Komen Race for the Cure in our capitol city, which is usually between the 2nd and 5th largest in the nation.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”