Blood in stool 9 months after surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mgonzal
Facebook Username: Mark Gonzales

Blood in stool 9 months after surgery

Postby mgonzal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Has or is anyone experiencing this? I have had my follow ups with my surgean, flexible scope check, and my oncologist and both think it is related to the incision that reconnected my colon. Also both seemed to think it wasnt a problem, but from my time on this site, I havent really seen anyone mention this. It also seems to come and go, every 4 to 5 days.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark, 42
diagnosed with stage II rectal cancer 2/5/10
biopsy after surgery T3, N0/11, Mx
chemo (Xeloda) and radiation for 5 1/2 weeks pre-op, 6 weeks recovery
surgery on 6/8 with temp ileostomy
chemo post op (chose Xelox over FolFox) for 10 treatments

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Re: Blood in stool 9 months after surgery

Postby Nickmark59 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 pm

I had an abscess and several days after they did the clean up surgery on it 8 different times I would have blood couple days after but not like what you are describing. I would definitely discuss getting a further evaluation with my doctors and possibly getting colonoscopy or short scope to make sure there is not a problem.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

Polarprincess

Postby Polarprincess » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 pm

3 years post op i am still seeing blood on a regular basis as well. i have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy every year which does not show anything, but this summer evidently they are going to have me swallow a little camera so they can get some idea, but it doesnt seem to affect my hemoglobin or anything. for me i suspect it is some kind of irritation or radiation induced damage but they just dont know.
42 y/o Diagnosed Stage IIIa (T1 N1 of 26 M0) July 2008
LAR July 24 2008
Supposedly benign polyp with
invasive tubulovillous adenocarcinoma
12 cycles Fulfox
28 days chemoradiation
Finished April 20th 2009
Currently NED

Aughhhh

Postby Aughhhh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Mark,

I had this exact same thing happen to me the first or second year after surgery. I started passing blood and then tissue on and off consistently, along with increased cramping and diarrhea. I was certain the cancer was back. My gastroenterologist went ahead and did my scheduled colonoscopy and it showed that there was granuloma tissue growing at the incision site where they had put my colon back together. I guess that's not that uncommon. The benign tissue would start growing and then stool would move by and the tissue would sluff off and it would bleed.......and over and over. So they cauterized the area really well. Problem solved. But I was really frightened. Maybe you could get a colonoscopy early just for piece of mind if nothing else.
Pam
Stage IIA (T-3,N-0,M-0), sigmoid colon cancer, Diagnosed age 43 on 8/19/03, sigmoid colectomy on 8/30/03, finished 22 rounds of 5-FU & Leukovorin on 6/8/2004. Currently NED!

mgonzal
Facebook Username: Mark Gonzales

Postby mgonzal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Pam,

That sounds like exactly what my surgeon thought it was. I did have a flexible scope two weeks ago and he said they could cauterize it during my colonoscopy in June/July. Thanks for the information.

Mark
Mark, 42
diagnosed with stage II rectal cancer 2/5/10
biopsy after surgery T3, N0/11, Mx
chemo (Xeloda) and radiation for 5 1/2 weeks pre-op, 6 weeks recovery
surgery on 6/8 with temp ileostomy
chemo post op (chose Xelox over FolFox) for 10 treatments

Brad33

Postby Brad33 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Mark,
I'm 7 months post surgery and in the last month I've had the exact same thing, red spots on the stools when they are bigger and firmer. Only happens a couple of times a week. Went to the surgeon and onc and they both didn't think it was anything too much to be concerned about. I'm going back in early May if it keeps happening and they will schedule a colonoscopy. They told me to try metamucil for awhile and that has pretty much stopped the spots, nothing for a week now. Still scares the heck out of ya though.
Brad

nycanimallover
Facebook Username: nycanimallover

Postby nycanimallover » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:25 am

i too am also seeing blood on my formed stool 7 weeks after my surgery resection. Is that a cause for concern. So worried the two pieces not joined well/successfully?
I am quite scared. Still have significant pain at the resection area/quite sore and tender.
I was wondering how your situation turned out?

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I saw blood 4th of July week after going. I haven't had any since. I will be two years post op in September. I see my surgeon September 1, so I will mention it to him. I'm sure he will say it is nothing to worry but will probably take a look. I remember I had blood a few weeks after surgery and he told me he wasn't really worried about it but took a look anyway. Everything looked good, never had any until this past July. So we will see.

Susan
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

benben

Postby benben » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 pm

I had resection pre-chemo.
I had a lot of sluffing off of mucus like after resection.
At first it was like every 3-5 days, then became more like a weekly issue.
I had this occur even up to 2 weeks into chemo, which was a real concern for me.
I have not seen any more blood, but the mucus tissues still come off smaller portions now
and about once every 1-2 weeks. So for me the blood lastest 10 weeks post surgery.
certainly not as long as others, but I think its pretty normal as the tissue heals and yes things can develop
at the rescection that will cause sluffing and bleeding and many have had good results with the cauterization.

best of luck.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”