Not gas.....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LeeT

Not gas.....

Postby LeeT » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:22 am

So last Friday I ended up with a very distended abdomen, no energy and in quite a lot of discomfort...ooooh and on and off fevers. So after much deliberation and "ass" dragging I went off to the ER thinking they could just give me something for the "gas" and send me home. All the necessary tests were done,WBC elevated, fluid in the abdo...but no gas. So they admitted me and 6 days later I have finally been released. They did a CT (which showed extensive liver mets....a large mass to handle) but no other lesions. The lung xray did show some undefined areas???? They also removed almost 2l of fluid from my abdomen but I still look and feel 4 months pregnant...my doc says that this is something that I may need to have done more frequently as my liver is giving off the fluid. So to accompany my swollen belly I also have swollen ankles and am slightly jaundiced. The Dr. says that I had Sepsis, as well as very low platelets, haemoglobin- received 3 blood transfusions and 2 bags of platelets but did not do much good. But to be fair I did have chemo last week so it could be that which knocked my down if I already had an infection elsewhere. I am really glad to be home even though they really took great care of me in the hospital.
We'll have to see what my normal onc says on Tuesday whether we will continue FOLFOX or switch to Erbitux (I am KRAS wild).....
Does anyone else have problems with fluid in their abdomen and does the swelling ever go down???????
LeeT
Age31
Proud mamma of Rhys and wifey to Grant
Dx 29 April Stage IV mCRC cancer with mets on liver
18/05- Started FOLFIRI with Avastin

Ashlee H.

Re: Not gas.....

Postby Ashlee H. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 am

I recently had a large hernia repair, got a horrible bacteria infection, and ended up back in the hospital for 8 days. Prior to going to the ER, my stomach was so distended and I couldn't even bend to get up or down. I know a ton of fluid was taken out of me at the hospital. All I remember is only from my lung area, there had been 4 lbs. of fluid! I also got the blood transfusions. I was drained 3 times during my stay and sent home with a drain tube - that was 6 weeks ago! I was also put on massive dosages of Antibiotics. Last week the tests were finally showing no bacterial growth. The last few days, my fluid output has been in a nprmal range (under 30 cc), so I may be able to have this drain taken out tomorrow! Can't wait. My stomach is still puffy I also had Cytoreduction/HIPEC at the same time as the hernia repair, so my guts have been terribly abused recently. The stomach certainly isn't as big as it was when I went to the ER, and seems to get smaller every day. I'm sure having the drain tube removed will make a big difference. I was supposed to restart chemo for 3 months, but my ONC won't even think of starting it until I'm drain tube free and show no signs of the bacteria issue. Good luck to you. I will freely admit, when I went to the ER, I was in so much pain that was the first time I wished for a massive coronary to end all this misery. Of course, today I'm feeling really good and glad I didn't die.

Ashlee
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Wow, Lee, it sounds like it's been really horrible in your life lately. I'm so sorry. Have they said if your liver chemistry stuff is all messed up? I guess if you're a little jaundiced, probably so. I hope this is a temporary bump in the road in the road and that things we'll get straightened out soon. I'll say some spare prayers for you.

Love, Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

joeyooser

Postby joeyooser » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear about this - this sounds really uncomfortable. It sounds like probably a change in chemo is in order - I hope they can figure something out to make you comfortable and get things going in the right direction.
Tim
Stage IIIc - 9/23 lymph nodes, poorly diff, 35yo father of 2.
Lap resection Jul 28 09 resulted in near-deadly leak
Finished chemo Feb '10; Takedown March '10;
Nov 2010 - carcinomatosis
May 2011 - Clinical Trial, failed out of trial, in hospice care

clarabelle64
Facebook Username: claire beaumont

Postby clarabelle64 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Lee, I'm sorry to hear about your recent stint in hospital. I do hope they can get your chemo right....my daughter Deborah had a lot of side effects from chemo so I sympathise with you. Hope you are feeling lots better now.
Clarabelle
Clarabelle, Mother of Deborah who has CC with mets to liver + lungs.
Has been on Folfiri then 5FU + Oxi
Lung Mets progressed
Currently on Intravenous Vit C + diet + supplements
My darling girl passed away 18.8.2011

Mona
Facebook Username: maria kucharek

Postby Mona » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 am

Lee,

I have been thinking about you. I am so sorry that you have to go thru this. Are you OK. I pray for you every day.

Mona
At age 46 DX 7/21/10 Stage 4 colon cancer with mets to the liver.
8/10 Folfox 6 tx
11/10 Colon/liver resection 1/29 nodes
12/10 Folfox 6 tx, NED
3/11 chemo done
11/11 recurance liver
12/11 liver resection/Hai pump
01/12-07/12 Fudor/Folfiri

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”