Another Newbie Here

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
J. R.

Another Newbie Here

Postby J. R. » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:08 pm

Greetings,
I just wanted to introduce myself...I've been lurking around for a couple months. My name is J. R. and I'm 39. I was diagnosed one year ago this month with advanced stage 4 colorectal cancer. I haven't had any surgery. The primary tumor in the sigmoid area of my colon and is very small and causing no obstructions. My liver is full of tumors as large as 10 cm. I also have a large tumor in my periteneum. I was on a 6 month chemo including CPT-11 and Avastin with no tumor change. I have since been holding steady on Avastin alone, but will probably be back to full chemo again sooner than later. I still work full time. My wife and I had only been married 9 months when I was diagnosed...tough times as everyone knows already. I really appreciate this web site and admire all survivors.
J. R.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 pm

J.R.

Welcome to the Colon Club!

As a fellow stage IV survivor, I thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Hugs!

Holly

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:28 pm

hi j.r. , i can relate to the newly married thing. i was on my honeymoon when i first got hospitalized. i had also just graduated college and was moving from baton rouge to portland, oregon. anyhow, i'm stage four too . i've been wanting to reduce my full chemo treatments. how long have you been on avastin with no tumor change?? i've worked full time the whole time too, that's why the 4 drugs have been getting to be too much. are you going to do the chemo with the internal pump in your liver???
Jenny Fish

Phil in Az

Postby Phil in Az » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:53 pm

From a fellow newbie - welcome to the board J.R.

I hope everything gets better for you soon. I had a CAT scan today and am awaiting the results on that. (a little nervous but cautiously optomistic too)

All i can say is that after reading "Livestrong", Cancer survivor stories - if some dude w/ a form of cancer that's never even been heard of before can overcome it, then i can overcme CRC/FAP. (and so can you)

It really seems that things like attitude, diet, mental strength, and determination are essential tools in overcoming this. These are things that i'm just learning about, someone like you who has been going through some really tough times might have more experience and insight.

The one thing i keep reminding myself of is this - "frailer" people have overcome much worse situations than what i'm facing. And if they can do it, then so can i. (and you)

all the best-phil

J. R.

Postby J. R. » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:41 pm

Fishy,
I went on Avastin alone back in August. My last two CT's showed no tumor progression. I have a CT next week and considering the discomfort I've had recently, the Avastin may not be holding things back any longer....but I'm praying it still is. My doctor and I have not really discussed the internal pump.
J. R.

AnthonyKramer

welcome

Postby AnthonyKramer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:39 am

hi J.R.

Thank you for joining the Colon Club. Sounds like you are fighting hard. I have tons of respect for everyone coping with these tough times, especially the advanced stage folks like you. Glad to hear your companion and employment have been supportive through all this. I wish you well.

best,

Anthony K.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”