Foods I cannot eat increasing after ileostomy surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Tess

Foods I cannot eat increasing after ileostomy surgery

Postby Tess » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:20 am

Hi,
I had permanent ileostomy surgery in 2007 and my 'list' of foods I cannot eat is significantly increasing that I cannot eat.
I cannot eat ANY vegetables...even in pureed form, nothing even 'mildly' spicy, I cannot even have one drink socially,
and so on...
I do not have pain...but my observations are based on a sudden 'gush' of stool or 'hot' liquid that compromises the seal of
my ileostomy bag and being up more than usual at night emptying or replacing my pouch.
I eat all the recommended 'dry' foods (crackers, pretzels, dry cereal, etc) to help absorb the liquid that is common problem
with stools and, also, take immodium.
I am becoming increasingly frustrated and sick of my limited list of foods I can eat.
Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Cj51

Re: Foods I cannot eat increasing after ileostomy surgery

Postby Cj51 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:26 pm

This is a cancer support forum, so it may be that the reason you're not getting much response is that we're not that expert in ostomy issues, unless they are a result of chemo. You may get a better response to your question over at the UOAA forums.
Best of luck to you,
Cj
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

Alec

Postby Alec » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:56 am

I have a temporary ileotomy, 5 months so far and we're talking about a reversal in a few months. I am also finding it does seem to be quite dramaticaly afected by diferent foods. I am starting to experiment to see what may make life away from home (the toilet) a little easier, and the thought of not getting up three times a night sounds great. I am surprised to hear you have problems with leakage, surely this is more of a problem with the device you are using. I only had one single leak and they changed the type of bag I use and it solved the problem.
Good Luck!

Bob_Weiss

Postby Bob_Weiss » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:09 pm

During the nine months I had my temporary ileostomy, the ostomy website mentioned above was enormously helpful; not only with foods to eat, but more important for me the right ostomy pouch to use. My bag started leaking and sliding off during my second month, because the pouch style I was using after surgery was no longer appropriate. If not for the ostomy site members insightful responses, I would have become a nervous wreck. They solved my problem and my remaining 7 months wearing the new style pouches were very bearable.
Stage 3 R/C -1 node+ ( 7/09)
5 wks radiation, 2 wks chemo: 5FU (8-9/09)
Rectal surgery: tumor removal (11/09)
10 rounds Xeloda: 3000mg/daily 1 wk on/1 wk off (1/10-6/10)
Supplements: Aspirin, Calcium, Vit. D3
03/27/17: 7+ yrs. since surgery--still NED

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I found that eating soluble fiber greatly improved things - Immodium works in the colon much more than the small intestine so it didn't help much with an ileostomy. Soluble fiber like apple (no peel), dates, and oatmeal really helped to "gel" up the output. I needed soluble fiber with every meal - and at least a full serving of it.

Also, on the seal - I too found that changing appliances helped. A convex wafer and Eakins Seals made a difference. Please do check out uoaa.org - they helped me a lot.

SBL
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

cbownds

Postby cbownds » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 pm

I know exactly how you feel. Oh how I miss broccoli, popcorn, and peanuts.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”