All I want to do is sleep?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Becky2011
Facebook Username: bec foote

All I want to do is sleep?

Postby Becky2011 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:15 pm

I had my 10th round of fulfox 6 last week. My counts were low and they did it in two parts, the fulfox on Thursday and the Avastin on Saturday when the pump was taken off. I felt fine until Saturday evening and every since then I have barely stayed awake. All I want to do is sleep no matter how hard I try to stay awake. Seems like I sleep 3 or 4 hours then have an hour or two awake and fall asleep again. I feel like I've lost the entire past week. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I be concerned? DH says it is just my body telling me it needs rest while it fights back but I'm not so sure.

Stage IV with liver mets
Non-surgical candidate
KRAS-Mutant
Diagnosed Stage IIa in August 2010
Stage IV November 2010 after emergency surgery for adhesions

Ashlee H.

Re: All I want to do is sleep?

Postby Ashlee H. » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 pm

DH is right. Your body is trying to deal with all that poison and needs a lot of rest. Just go with it and realize for now you can't have your normal life. You need to listen to your body, and if it wants rest, sleep away. Remember to stay hydrated and eat a lot of protein.
Stage IV w/liver met dx 7-1-09
KRAS Mutant
Member of the HIPECKERS (2011) and OLYMPHIANS (2012)
2/14 - standard chemo has stopped working
3/14 - Stivarga
LIVE LIFE!

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 pm

On my first 12 rounds of chemo I slept alot, at that point I was so weak in general that Chemo would lay me out. Your husband is probably right. Saturday you were probably crashing from the steroids. I think that CRguy(need to doublecheck) had his steroids cutback and that improved his fatigue on the days after chemo. Does that make sense? I am really tired so I am not sure how clear I am being.

Are you anemic? That could cause severe fatigue also. In the meantime, listen to your body and rest as much as you can. On top of fighting cancer your body is taking on quite a bit of poison(chemo).
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 am

That's how it was for me too. Just go with it and sleep it is very healing and will help your body and chemo work better.

I had to accept that it was chemo week and sleep was good for me. Don't worry your body will adjust and you will feel better in a few days. So on my good days I enjoyed doing the things I loved and a little bit of work.
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

Nickmark59
Facebook Username: nickmark59

Postby Nickmark59 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:47 am

I still get days I wake up and get breakfast and go back to sleep all day despite trying to fight it. its the body's way of telling you it needs to heal and re-energize. Get the sleep while you can for times you can not.
CRC- IV 7-th yr Survivor -5 rectal tumors 1 bleeding with mets to liver
Rad. 36 treat.
with 6 Chemo 2-Ox.- 4 Fol.
surgery 15 hrs to resect colon and liver- Feb 08
follow up 6 chemo Folfox
www.darkinvestigations.blogspot.com

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:35 pm

jmarie wrote:... I think that CRguy(need to doublecheck) had his steroids cutback and that improved his fatigue on the days after chemo. Does that make sense? I

Right Jess, was me..guilty as charge :mrgreen: I found the crash 'n burn after dex was almost the worst part of the treatment...BUT I did not have any allergy problems and no real nausea problems, and I had the Oncs OK to cut back. Generally my energy has not recovered 100 % right from my first surgery, but gradually gets a little better each week/month. Doing FOLFOX kicked me back to no energy, so I am now 5 months out and just restarting to figure out I am improving energywise. ON chemo...sleep when you need it and can get it.

Best wishes for moving ahead
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

bruins1971
Facebook Username: Bobby Flaherty

Postby bruins1971 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Becky,

I know what you are talking about the chemo tends to kick our butts at times but we must take our naps to allow our bodies time to re-energize. Chemo is certainly a very strong drug that takes allot out of our bodies but we are still in charge no matter what. I did 12 rounds of Folfox and now I am facing Folfuri and Avastin starting in a few weeks after I get my 2nd opinion from MD ANDERSON down in Houston. Stay the course my friend and you will beat this disease. Stage 4 is NOT a death sentence any longer we both we be victorious and be here to support others walking the same walk in years to come.

Bobby
DX Stage 4 3/10
Folfox X 12
Colon Surgery 3/10
Liver Surgery 8/2010
NED January 2011

Isaiah 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

Francofinch
Facebook Username: Francofinch

Postby Francofinch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:30 am

I don't know what's wrong with me anymore. I'm always tired, can sleep all day and all night, can't focus on any one thing very long without having to do something different, just never feel totally "here". sleep

I don't know if it's depression or if there is something medically wrong with me. I just can't seem to stay awake. I get up, make breakfast for my mother and me, check my email and within an hour or two, am back asleep in bed. I get up around lunch, get something to eat, check the 'Net a bit and again, more sleep. Then dinner and the same thing after that. Around 9 or so, I wake up, get online, get bored, go watch TV, get bored again, come back in, get online yet again and then go to bed for the night. Of course, during this time I've taken care of Mom's needs (her meds, her oxygen, helped her get dressed when needed, fed the cats, etc.), but I can't seem to go beyond that. I just have no desire to do anything, no energy, nothing. yawn

RixInPhx

Postby RixInPhx » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 am

Franco-
Your typical day sounds like many of mine, except my major cares are just taking care of a pair of dogs, not an ailing mother.
Kudos for keeping up with that. Do you have some assistance, housecleaning, transportation, etc.?

Please start a new threadd and tell us about yourself, your circumstances, disease, treatment regimen, etc.
Curious members want to know!!

I see that you've just joined this club, the one that nobody wants to qualify for. Welcome!
You've come to the right place.

Peace, Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

I will only add/reiterate that sleep is good. Don't deny your body what it's telling you it needs.

I always slept comfortably and well during chemo. If you can forget about the "lost" time, enjoy!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am

Rest!!! and when your body is ready you will have some of your energy back.

I definitely had a few rounds were I only managed to wake up pee/drink/eat/drink/pee and then back to sleep. I always called them my chemo comas. I knew my kids had visited me when I would wake up with a blankie, stuff animal, ballon from a party, etc... but I would never even hear them come in. Some rounds were better than others. It took several months post treatment before I felt like I was nearly fully functioning again.

Good luck!!!
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”