Stop here for GAS!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NICK THE BRIT

Stop here for GAS!

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi to everyone,

I havent posted for a whilst but still check in on a regular basis to see how everybody is doing and if anybody has any new handy advice etc. Well im 16mths clean now from surgery, and feeling great. But the question i wanted to ask was and its a bit of a sore subject (literally) I had a temp ileostomy that was removed in March. Things have settled down not too bad, but my surgeon did advise that when i was re-connected the hole that i now poop out of is smaller than it was. The pattern it has taken now is that i am going to the toilet every other day, but when i do go i can be on and off for a good hr and a half. But then i wont go the following day. Im also experiencing very bad wind! and although its handy if you want to drop one out and blame it on somebody you dont like, the wife isnt best pleased :roll: Does anybody have any hints and tips to control it?

Regards
Nick

ps dont say use a cork! :lol:

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:06 pm

For gas use simethicone sold as Mylanta gas, Gas X etc of course your names may be different in Jolly Old England but simethicone is what you should try.
As for the regularity problems try using yogurt with active cultures, sometimes after surgery the antibiotics wipe out the normal flora of the intestines and problems occur ( yes I have said it before but I think the probiotic idea works) The probiotics may also help with the gas problem.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:50 am

Cheers Bryan i will give that a go. I do use the pro biotics and find they do help.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:53 pm

This has been a bit of a problem off and on for me too. Activated charcoal seems to help. Simethicone does too. I think tincture of time is the best remedy. It seems to take the body time to adjust to all that's been happening. I liked the probiotics. I'm a big fan of yogurt.

tandys24

Postby tandys24 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:37 pm

my GI doc. told me to get an over the counter pill called Align. You can also buy it online. He said that it replaces the "good" bacteria that was lost during surgery, colonoscopy's ect.
Good Luck.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”