cea & CT scans !!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ldskas

cea & CT scans !!!

Postby ldskas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 am

Hi

Mum finished her chemo back in Jan and has been feeling great ever since. We went and saw her oncologist and surgeon in Feb and they both said no scan until June. She had her first scan when first diagnosed so this will really be her first one since surgery and chemo finishing. She had her blood test which showed a rise in her CEA which we have no idea what it was before, during or even after chemo. Her oncologist phoned her today to say to bring forward the CT scan to next Wednesday due to the rise but said not to worry. Typical of them to say 'not to worry' as this is all I have thought about all day and I am sure all week till next Wednesday.

Just venting as I am sure I will have some sleepless nights ahead of me.
Helping my mum kick butt throught CC
R Hemi July 10
3/35 l/n
FOLFOX Aug 10 - Jan 11 CEA inc 5.2, 5.6, 6.5
PET lite up lung and liver (sml amt) surgeon 'probably there all along !!!
FOLFORI & Avastin Aug 11 CEA 10.1 after 4 rounds its going down :-)

Re: cea & CT scans !!!

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Thought about it all last night and researched heaps of topics. Does a rise in cea always mean a reoccurence is just around the corner???? Mum did have a cold at the time of the blood test is it correct in thinking that these may have had a impact on the CEA results???????

joeyooser

Postby joeyooser » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Sorry to hear about the stress and bad news. A rise in CEA is not always a sign of recurrence, but several consecutive rises would certainly hint at it. If it's just one reading, they should do another after a period of time and see what it says.

Good luck!
Tim
Stage IIIc - 9/23 lymph nodes, poorly diff, 35yo father of 2.
Lap resection Jul 28 09 resulted in near-deadly leak
Finished chemo Feb '10; Takedown March '10;
Nov 2010 - carcinomatosis
May 2011 - Clinical Trial, failed out of trial, in hospice care

John72

Postby John72 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 pm

It's an indicator and not 100% no matter what.

I just finished my chemo and today the oncologist told me I will not have any scan until six months from now.

He said that my CEA's have been almost nothing ever since my surgery and he doesn't want to do scans if they are not necessary.

He also heavily emphasized that the CEA tests are not anywhere near 100% and a high test doesn't necessarily mean cancer is detected. Likewise, a low CEA does not mean that cancer is not present.
7/13/10 CC
7/23/10 -3C RC, 7cm,15/33 lymph nodes
8/31/10 5 1/2 weeks of radiation + Xeloda
11/12/10 6 rounds Oxy + Xeloda
3/25/11 Finished chemo
6/15/11 Colostomy reversal followed by infections
9/05/14 Clear CT scan

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 pm

CEA is not a reliable indicator for everyone. Your mom should know what her CEA was from the first test until now. I have my CEA drawn every 3 weeks while on chemo, for me it has been a very good indicator. After my first treatment was finished my onc. drew my CEA at follow ups which I think was every 3 months, after it doubled we suspected it was back, and it was. Mine has gone up by tenths of a point and by a point and then the next time gone back down. This is why it's important to get your results (for all of your tests) so you can look at the trend and see if it's reliable for you. It almost sounds like your mom has only had 2 drawn, is that correct? I know things are different in different countries but your mom having a scan last July, going through chemo and not getting another one until this July is concerning. How do they know the chemo worked? I think most of us had a scan right after chemo was done, if not even sooner to see if the chemo was working.

Your mom is in my prayers.
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”