Low Blood counts AGAIN

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mjkelley

Low Blood counts AGAIN

Postby mjkelley » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 pm

I had to postpone my treatement in December and again in March. In March just one extra week brought all but my iron way up. Platelets were 160 for the 1st time in a long time.

This past treatment my onc had me take the neutogen shots. Today I got my blood work and the wbc and the neutriphils are almost as low as the two times I was deferred.

My chemo nurse had mentioned last time that I may have to change my folfox treatments from every other week to every third week.

Anyone else have this issue, and our more importantly an every three week schedule. I am shocked and sad that the shots didn't help!?!?!

I am on a chemo for life treatment plan, and the folfox has kept my CEA so low, it's been under one for a few months now. The thought of changing things up scares me!

Mary Jane
DX 1/30/10 @ 49
stage iv with In-numerable mets to Liver
Treatment plan: Chemo for life
40 rounds folfox Feb 2010 to October 2011
Dropped oxi October 2011
REDUCTION OR NO NEW GROWTH
July 2013 Growth
Back on oxi July 2013
More Growth
Folfori October 2013

dianne052506

Re: Low Blood counts AGAIN

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 am

Mary Jane,

You've a quite a bit of Folfox, and the more you have the harder it is to keep the counts up. I had a total of 31 rounds of oxaliplatin before my big reaction. I found my counts did better when I switched to XELOX/Avastin (oxi and avastin on day 1, Xeloda pills on days 1-14, then a week off). I also had better luck with Neulasta shots rather than Neupogen. Neupogen gave me big raised welts on my arms, and we switch because of that, but my counts did far better, plus the Neulasta shots are only done once each round.

I'm curious, have you been seen at a cancer center that does HAI (pumps chemo directly to the liver)? I know that Gaelen was first told that her liver was unresectable, but the HAI made the difference for her. I believe her surgeon at Sloan Kettering is supposed to be the best, would a consult even be possible?

If you are not going for the possibility of a curative re-section, then what is your onc's plan? I think chemo-for-life needs constant tweaking to keep that quality of life worth living. Friday makes 57 months for me.
Best of luck to you,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

mjkelley

Postby mjkelley » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:37 am

Diane,

57 months! Thats a long time.. If your ever up to it, I would like to hear more about your treatments etc....

We have not gone to a major cancer center yet. I have Kaiser in Northern California, my understanding is that they will cover items necessary and that they can't provide. I'm assuming the 2nd opinion would be on my dime. Since the folfox was working so well we decided to ride it out for a bit then look into other options. My CEA dropped dramatically and has stayed low. We are about to schedule another scan to see if the tumors in my liver have shrank some more, last time (after about 10 months of treatment there was about a 30% reduction in the three largest). I have an appointment next tuesday with the onc., so it's time to really start looking forward and pushing for other treatments. Hai, the spheres I would like to attempt something like that.

Thanks for your repsonse, I will also discuss Neulasta with him.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mary jane
DX 1/30/10 @ 49
stage iv with In-numerable mets to Liver
Treatment plan: Chemo for life
40 rounds folfox Feb 2010 to October 2011
Dropped oxi October 2011
REDUCTION OR NO NEW GROWTH
July 2013 Growth
Back on oxi July 2013
More Growth
Folfori October 2013

Angie'sKid

Postby Angie'sKid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Mom has been having issues with blood counts being low, so she is going on every three weeks i/o every two weeks, with a Neulasta shot on the day she has her pump disconnected. It seems to be working better, her energy levels also have a chance to rebound and she doesn't have the emotional rollercoaster of being disappointed when the numbers are low.
Mom dx 9/2010, Colon cancer
T3N1MX
10/2010 Surgery to remove tumor
11/2010 1st round of Folfox
4/2011 5-FU replaced with Xeloda
9 out of 11 rounds complete!!!!

"Don't make me get on my broom!!!"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”