Nearing the end of my 1st course of chemo.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Becky2011
Facebook Username: bec foote

Nearing the end of my 1st course of chemo.

Postby Becky2011 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 am

I had round 9 of 12 Folfox with Avastin treatments so far. The neuropathy in my hands and feet isn't too bad, but the longest my Onc has ever given Folfox with the Oxi is 14 courses before it had to be discontinued due to the numbness issue. It is hard to believe i've already been through that many chemo treatments. Discussed my treatment with the Onc and we are going to do 3 more treatments, then a PET Scan and decide what is next from there. May get a break from chemo so we can possibly do the speribeads into the mets, if the scan shows enough shrinkage and even disappearance of at least some of the mets. Otherwise he wants to do another course of chemo, this time Folfiri. Starting to get anxious about the Scan, even though an ultrasound a few weeks ago confirmed there is shrinkage going on. To top it off, once I finish my 12th round of chemo I have to make a decision about my job. They have been really good so far, letting me work part time for full time pay but all things must come to an end. I received indication that will be after my 12th round. So either I go back to work full time, officially become less than part time or quit my job and try and live off social security disability. It is scary as I make almost 1/2 of our family's income and SSI will only provide perhaps a 1/3 of my current income. I knew this was eventually coming and have tried to prepare, but with all the doctor bills and prescription costs just haven't been able to sock money away and in fact we have been draining our savings. I think you can make up to $900 a month and still get disability so I could work about 2 days a week, but am uncertain if this is true. It is hard to have to live with so many uncertainities. Before cancer, we had a plan and a goal in mind. Post cancer diagnosis, everything is uncertain. At least I'm here to hug my kids and let my husband drive me bonkers...lol

RixInPhx

Re: Nearing the end of my 1st course of chemo.

Postby RixInPhx » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 am

Thanks for posting.
I don't believe I've read anything from you before.
With the Avastin, it's obvious you're Stage 4.

You seem to be tolerating the regimen pretty well, and that's great.
Just a caustion not to get too cocky about the Oxi, it's cumulative effect really begin to skyrocket at about rnd 10, but everybody's tolerance is different.
Best of luck.

Yes, you can earn up to $1000 per month on SSD.
Make your application now, it takes them a while to process everything.
You don't qualify for Medicare until 2 years after beginning of disability.

HTH and take care, Rick
M 61, Dx 6/10 CRC st 4, unknown primary CEA 843
2 kg peritoneal mass, met to skull; no surgery
Various regimens of all CRC chemo drugs
Mets to lung 8/11 CEA 135
Folfiri/Erb/Ava 12/11 CEA 320
No progression 5/12 CEA 192

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”