I'm such a Girl....

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mona6518

I'm such a Girl....

Postby Mona6518 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I just underwent colon surgery earlier this month.
And as much as I hate being vain (since it's not usually my nature)....
I have some questions about getting back into shape after surgery.

My doctor has given me some general guidelines to follow (no lifting, ab crunches, etc) but I was wondering if you 'experts' have any suggestions.

Also, is there anything I can do to make the scar less noticeable or heal quicker?

Mona Monkey

Terry Miller

Hernia Danger

Postby Terry Miller » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Mona,
Had my colon re-section on 4/20/99. Had my hernia repair on 3/29/02. Believe your doctor about the abdomenal weakness that will exist. I remember carting bundles of shingle up a ladder on Labor Day Weekend in 1999. Probably wasn't a smart thing to do. The hernia surgery was far more painful than the colon resection. Take things very easy and be patient with your recovery. Communicate with your doctor and let him/her guide you with what is or isn't appropriate. My standard gripe about my post-surgical conditon was that I couldn't wear a Speed-O. People who know me realize the humor in that statement. Congratulations on being a survivor. That is what is most important.
Best wishes,
Terry

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:23 pm

I'd have to agree with Terry on that. I had colon cancer in 2000 and had a resection (I didn't have any issues) but six months later my mom had the laproscopic colon resection for real bad diverticulitis and she didn't realize that the healing time was very similar to mine since she wasn't in the hospital as long as I was and because her scars were so much smaller and she started doing normal things and lifting too much and herniated her colon too. She ended up having about the same scar as I had after that surgery and she still suffers from pain from her hernia. Be careful and take your time.
As far as your scar goes, try breaking vitamin E capsules apart and rubbing the liquid on your scars (or you can get vitamin E cream, but the stuff from the capsules is more potent, I think). That helped with some of my other scars. My stomach scar is barely visable anymore (my doctor did the closing of the incision as cosmetically as possible).
Hope that helps....good luck!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”