Daddy daughter dance

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
meighan

Daddy daughter dance

Postby meighan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi everyone, I don't post often but I am sitting home tonight thinking of all you and reflecting back. Five years ago My husband just newly diagnosed with colon cancer (surgery hadn't happened so we knew very little) took our oldest daughter to her first daddy daughter dance while I stayed home with my 4 year old and my new baby. He felt fine so off they went. I remember vividly plastering a smile on my face while my 4 year old danced around our littlest girl and made her giggle. I remember praying that she would some day go to a daddy daughter dance with her dad........but I was afraid she wouldn't...........tonight our little kindergardener took her daddy out for (god bless him) his 6th daddy daughter dance. I am sitting home alone tonight tearful, happy and oh so very grateful..... all the feelings that we on this journey are familiar with. He has done wonderfully and remained so positive, we are lucky tonight. So bring on year five and as we face our upcoming scans I think of you all often and just wanted to share this moment with some old friends out there. I wish I could go back and let that person in the hall know that he would take her but maybe one of you will read this and see that some prayers really do get answered. I don't take one day for granted so fingers crossed and more prayers needed next month :D

disco nap

Re: Daddy daughter dance

Postby disco nap » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 pm

This was nice to read - thank you for posting.
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

Kathleen808

Postby Kathleen808 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your lovely family story. I love stories of hope.

Aloha,
Kathleen
Kathleen
DH 1/09 3c 51yr rsct
Folfx 3/09
1 l nd 9/09 Flfri Avstn
PET clr 6/10
Folfri Avstn 7/10
ND 10/10
1/11 lng mets Flfri Avastn
ND 2/12
9/12 Flfri Avastn
10/12 grwth lng mts Erbtx Avstn Irintcn
1/13 stabl
9/13 grwth
8/16/14 passed into eternal peace

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for sharing that, that's a WONDERFUL STORY of hope!
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:39 pm

A beautiful story!
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

barbara jayne
Facebook Username: Barbara Allenhttps://www.facebook.com/barbara.alle

Postby barbara jayne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Aww ! :D Beautiful story, thank you for posting :D
Sometimes our prayers are answered !
Fingers crossed for next month for you and your family.

Barbara x
DX. Colon Cancer (Cecum) stage 3
Right hemicolectomy Jan '08
2/22 L.nodes positive
Oxi and Xeloda
Xeloda discontinued
due to DPD enzyme deficiency
Lynch Syndrome
13 years NED
Facebook user name,
Barbara Allen https://www.facebook.com/barbara.allen.927

Molly23MN

Postby Molly23MN » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Thank you for the post! So glad things have gone so well. What stage is/was your husband, if you don't mind me asking?
wife of steve, dx stage IIIc CC 10/20/09 @ age 39
2 kids - now 9.5 and 12. 9 yo was 20 days old at diagnosis
Thankful.
11/09 colon resection
5/26/10 Folfox 6 complete
7/2010 Port removed
Clear CT scans since 6/10

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:20 am

I can't explain how much your story touched me, thank you for sharing such a special moment with us. I hope to post a similar story in 3 yrs when I walk my babygirl to school for the first time :wink: .
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

meighan

Postby meighan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks so much for letting me share my moment with you. My husband was stage 3, perforated through colon wall and encapsulated with 4 out of 33 lymph nodes. We went onto genetic testing at Sloan and though he tested negative for lynch syndrome they screen him as he is positive because he most likely has a genetic cancer that has not been found yet. As the doctor there said we are linked for life and though I found that terrifying at first I have found a new comfort in knowing they are in my corner. The early days were VERY bleak and overwhelming with no one giving us very good news..........but here we are 5 years later raising our girls and enjoying every moment of it. He still has to have diligent screening and we make a trip to Sloan in NYC twice a year which is now finally, hopefully, moving to once a year. Secondary cancers are still a concern and I am still guilty of waiting for the other shoe to drop but that is not fair to us and as my husband reminds me is not productive or useful in anyway soooooooooo I am still a work in progress i guess! One friend told me during that time you go to the best doctors arm yourself with the most accurate information and do what you can and then go home and enjoy today, I have tried to live that way but not always easy. I think last night was a huge moment for me of letting go and coming full circle. We have done so many of the things I had hoped and prayed for during those dark days.....Disney, the dance and just overall more time. It has been one hell of a journey and I still HATE cancer and pray for a cure daily but I am grateful for the compassion and understanding it has brought to my life. Bitter and angry is no way to live so although it can sneak in I remind it it is not welcome here in our home. Thanks again colon club for listening and being out there for me. Jmarie I can't wait to see your post some day!

As for last night they came home all smiles and had danced the night away :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”