Got the port today- have a female question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpeters6

Got the port today- have a female question

Postby mpeters6 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:04 pm

I got my port today, doing absolutely great with it, no pain. Just realized I am eventually going to have to put a bra on. Ouch! The straps are going to go right over it. What's a girl to do?
Stage III Colon Cancer; dx 8/8/07, at the age of 36; sigmoid colectomy 8/13/07; Finished 11 Rounds of Folfox 2/08; currently NED

http://michelepeters.blogspot.com

nodo

Postby nodo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:21 pm

With bandages on it, you shouldn't have any problems with rubbing. Honestly, my bra never bothered me on the port site. The thing I found most uncomfortable was the seat belt. I have a small frame anyway and it was even more so during chemo; my port stuck out quite a bit and the seat belt always rubbed against it. Love the port; hate the port!

cmindc

Postby cmindc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:36 pm

Haven't had any problems with bras. My bra strap is about 1.5 inches to the right of my port. I was very protective of that side of my body for the first week or so I had the port. I was worried about being bumped. But it was fine.

Good luck!
Rectal Cancer - Stage II (T3 N0) 34 yrs old
Diagnosed 12.22.06
Radiation, Xeloda, Oxiliplatin - Winter 07
APR w/permanent colostomy 4/07
Folfox - Summer/Fall 07
Follicular Lymphoma - diagnosed 3.10.09
6 2-day Rituxan/Bendamustine cycles
NED - 11.26.09

mpeters6

seatbelt/port

Postby mpeters6 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:49 pm

About the seatbelt, I asked my surgeon to put it on the right side, b/c I do a lot of driving with my job. Of course, if I'm on the passenger side, it will rub. But I have been told I could get one of those cushion wraps with the velcro, to place around the seatbelt. I was told our local American Cancer Society office has them for free. But they used to sell them in the baby dept at Walmart.
Stage III Colon Cancer; dx 8/8/07, at the age of 36; sigmoid colectomy 8/13/07; Finished 11 Rounds of Folfox 2/08; currently NED

http://michelepeters.blogspot.com

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:49 am

Here is a link of a supply place that has all sorts of things to help people with implanted ports/defibrilators;

http://www.aboutsofttouch.com/

They have improved the design since I had my port in. There items are well worth it.

I don't know if you did this or not, but for anyone who is facing a port placement in the future, DEMAND that the doc who is implanting it mark the spot on you before surgery, WITH your bra on and in a sitting position. It sounded a little weird to me when I was told by a friend this, but the doc who did the surgery was impressed that I had asked for this. First reason is exactly what you are talking about. If you have the doc mark the spot with a bra on, you won't have any trouble with the bra straps hitting the site. Secondly, the doc told me that too many women who have their port placed without first marking it in the upright position actually regret it later on because when they are lying down vs sitting/standing, their breasts (unless they are very small) will naturally "fall" and the port is then in a VERY uncomfortable position.

Hopefully this didn't happen to you. This is just a tip for those who will be undergoing port placement in the future to hopefully avoid problems.

Jaynee

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:12 pm

I kinda thought the same thing when i got mine. now granted, i just hate bra's in general and don't like to wear them anyway. but, when i do wear them, it doesn't affect the port at all.
I also had a very thin frame, and had lost considerable weight. the port was VERY prominent. and the incision part actually didn't heal together for three months b/c the skin just kept pulling apart (partly b/c the breast tissue pushed it up a bit, and partly b/c they just didn't put it deep enough, i think)
(you can see the port very clearly in my Colondar photo. but in that photo i've got all my weight back.
When it did finally heal up, i barely have given it a thought since then, although yes, instinctively without thinking about it i am protective of that side.
someone once reached across my chest to brush something off my shoulder and i literally almost punched them in the face. (heh, i really caught myself at the last moment)

i think if you can, it is a good idea to mark the spot while sitting up, and bra on. i didn't, but it didn't end up to be a problem for me. my surgeon had done so many already.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:48 pm

I agree with nodo. My bra straps have never been a problem. It might be sensitive at first, but I have no trouble with them. However, the seatbelt is a pain for a couple of weeks. After that, it irritates it mostly when I am hooked up to my pack.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

FiG-S~

Postby FiG-S~ » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:03 pm

After being in the hospital for two weeks, my body didn't even know what a bra was. But then again, after losing 20 pounds I didn't really need one anyway. I was in so much pain from the port that I couldn't even raise my arm. The pain went away and I was able to sport that lovely bra soon afterwards. (Although it is still no fun when my child wants to press on the area.) However, I never wear one when I'm hooked up to chemo. I accidently did once and I wound up unhooking it on my front porch while I talked to a neighbor. Never again. Something about the bra pushing on the needle is very uncomfortable. I figure it's a good excuse not to wear one and if the models can go bra less so can I.
Diagnosed 12/06 @ 35, stage IV

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:47 pm

One of my bras goes over my port, but it's not painful or anything. Just give it some time to heal up, hopefully it won't be a problem.

As for seat belts, I often wonder what would happen in an accident. Seems the seatbelt would cause the port to break through the skin and create a very dangerous situation. I always put the seatbelt behind my back when I'm hooked to the fanny pack. The rest of the time I just take my chances.

Rui
Facebook Username: ruipinto

Postby Rui » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:38 pm

Regarding the seatbelt, see if there is legislation for that, here in Portugal, patients with a port and other chest devices/problems can drive without seatbelt.
I only drive without it when the needle is on, or I put it under my arm.
Diagnosed and surgery @ March 2007 ( age 29 ) - 50 cm of colon removed, Laparoscopic surgery
Stage IIIB - 2 nodes out of 13, T3N1M0
Chemo from 7 June 2007 to 7 November 2007 - 12 cycles of Oxaliplatin + 5FU with 48h pump
Officially NED since 12/12/2007

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:41 pm

i dunno, i never gave it much thought, the seatbelts just didn't bother me enough to think about it.
the thing that does sorta bother me (and not in a painful way, but just more like, i notice it more kinda way) is wearing a bag or purse slung over that side.
i usually end up carrying purses and bags on my left shoulder, most the time without even realizing it.

funny, my port site didn't heal up for like 3 months, but after the first week or so the pain and awkwardness. i was doing cartwheels and handstands. and the third time i went back in to get the incision site stitched up the tech finally said "i don't get it, i mean, are you like, out doing cartwheels or something?" and i said "uh. well. actually, yes i am....well you did say to just continue with my life as normal. cartwheels are done daily in my life"
he then told me no more cartwheels or handstands til it finally healed up. :)

B

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:33 am

I didn't have much problem at first, even though my bra and seatbelt both rubbed on my port site. I kept it covered until it was well healed and then it was fine for most of the treatment time. Toward the end it started hurting. The fat layer over it was getting thinner, though I certianly wasn't losing weight. There wasn't much to cushion it, and anything that rubbed or bumped it hurt a lot. I had it taken out two months after I finished Folfox. I got the rest of my Avastin through peripheral veins. Just as an incidental thing, the site got infected SEVEN MONTHS after the port was removed! Surprised everyone, but it can happen. It takes a long time for that little pocket to heal up and fill in with tissue. Now I have to get my mamogram which I put off last year because the port site is low enough to be involved. I didn't want it getting squished. It should be OK now.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:44 am

BTW, no bra is SO not an option for me, I'm a DD and the IDEA of doing cartwheels without one makes me laugh, (or cry). Also, there's not much room to put a port without invading bra space.

Actually, the idea of doing cartwheels at all is laughable for this 53 year old mama with arthritic hips. I usta could, but no more.

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:47 am

My surgeon who was 80 (not kidding) put my so low it was practically on my breast he kept saying your so thin. I need a fatty place. And then they asked me what kind of clothes I wore, at the time I was a little slow understanding what they were getting at.
The good thing my bra or seatbelt didn't bother it .
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”