Ischemic Colitis Information

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
janb

Ischemic Colitis Information

Postby janb » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:30 pm

My 30 year old daughter has been hospitalized three times in the past four months with Ischemic Colitis. Every test known to man has been conduced with no conclusive answer as to why she is getting this. During her last stay (over Christmas), they almost performed surgery to remove part of the colon to stop the bleeding. I sent out a prayer chain from here to California and on Christmas day it stopped. The doctors have indicated it could come back and they don't know why. It breaks my heart to see her go through this. Anyone out there have thier own ideas or home treatment to keep the colon healthy? I have searched the internet high and low to help solve the mystery and and still lost for some answers. This type of colitis is only supposed to affect older americans.
Thanks a bunch.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:25 pm

janb,

I found this information for to peruse as your leisure. I hope it helps!

Holly

Colonic ischemia
Definition Return to top

Ischemic colitis involves an area of inflammation (irritation and swelling) caused by interference with the blood flow to the colon (large intestine).

Causes, incidence, and risk factors Return to top

Interference with blood flow to the colon is the cause of ischemic colitis. The disorder mainly affects people over 50, many of whom have a history of peripheral vascular disease. Other risk factors include:

Previous aortic surgery with unintentional damage to the artery supplying the colon
History of stroke
Low blood pressure
Congestive heart failure
Diabetes
Abdominal radiation exposure
Symptoms Return to top

Abdominal pain
Fever
Vomiting
Bright redblood in the stool
Diarrhea
Signs and tests Return to top

Colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy showing inflamed mucosa or ulcers in the colon
Angiography showing a vascular (blood vessel) lesion
Treatment Return to top

Mild, transient ischemic colitis is treated by maintaining good blood pressure. This can be done with medicines and avoiding dehydration. Antibiotics are sometimes used.

Chronic ischemic colitis leading to stricture formation (areas of narrowed colon) is treated by surgical removal of the stricture.

Severe ischemic colitis leading to gangrene is treated with replacement of blood volume, antibiotics, and surgical removal of the affected bowel area.

Expectations (prognosis) Return to top

Most cases of ischemic colitis are mild, self-limited, and do not require therapy. The death rate is high when gangrene occurs as a result of inadequate blood supply.

Complications Return to top

Gangrene of the bowel
Perforation (hole in the intestine)
Peritonitis (inflammation of the lining of the abdomen)
Sepsis
Calling your health care provider Return to top

Call your health care provider if symptoms of ischemic colitis develop.

Prevention Return to top

Awareness of risk may allow early diagnosis and treatment. Absolute prevention may not be possible.

Update Date: 5/4/2006

Updated by: Jenifer K. Lehrer, MD, Department of Gastroenterology, Frankford-Torresdale Hospital, Jefferson Health System, Philadelphia, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

janb

Postby janb » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 pm

Wow Holly!
That post has been out there for 11 months and you are my first reply! I will pass this on to my daughter (fitzgeraldmom). Thanks for the information. She still has issues.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Fitzgeraldmom

Thanks Holly

Postby Fitzgeraldmom » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:39 am

Hi Holly,
I am Janb's daughter. Thank you for finally reading my mom's post and responding with some helpful information. I really appreciate it.
There isnt a day that goes by where I am not now convinced that I am having another episode. I was in the hospital Sept.,Oct., and over Christmas of 2006. It amazes me that I have this and when I had my first episode, I was 30. Not 50, no stroke issues, no low blood pressure etc.
Ugh...
Anyway,
Thanks again for taking the time to read my mom's message....
Kellie
(Fitzgeraldmom)

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:35 am

Kellie and Jan,

Glad you enjoyed the light reading. I am sorry that you, Kellie, are still experiencing symptoms! I encourage you to be PROACTIVE in the management of your health and continue to follow up with your medical team! Remember ALL things are truly possible!

Holly

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”