rash

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kbrown2b

rash

Postby kbrown2b » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:12 pm

As many of you know, i am on the dreaded Erbitux along with Folfiri... i actually have been very luck that i haven't been sick at all on this regimn, but the darn rash is driving me crazy!!
IT looks like i have the measles for sure... all over my chest back and neck and a little on my face..

Does anyone know when this will go away?? Will it last until all my treatments are over?? i am also at a fork in the road with my hair.. very thin on top.. probably 70% gone.. do i just shave it and go with it, or wait.. ugh.. why are women so darn attatched to hair..

love you guys.. keep up the fight..
Kelley 38
mommy to Dalton(14),Raegan (11),and Ella (5)
stage IIIC 5/26/10
resection:6/1
Xelox 6/30
ovarian mass 12/16
moved to Stage III.5
Folfiri /erb 1/25/11
hyster./abcess /temp illeo 9/11
reversal 11/11
back in abdomen Folfox and Avastin 8/12

jgall

Re: rash

Postby jgall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:20 pm

Kelley, so sorry to hear about the rash. You and Chris started on Erbitux the same week...he started losing his hair after the second treatment, so he just shaved it. But you're right...it's way easier for the guys. The weird thing...he hardly got any rash...actually, just a few welts. He got a lot of itchyness, but no rash really to speak of. I wish I had something to offer...all i can do is offer my sympathy...I wish you hadn't gotten the rash so bad. :( Good luck, hope you get some relief soon. Julia
DH Chris, 50, Dx Nov '10 Stg 4
cardiac arrest from 5-FU
Iri/Erbi, RFA, liver/colon resection, more Iri/Erbi
Oct14-Feb15 clinical trial
SIRT Apr15-unsuccessful
Stopped treatment May15
Hospice July15
Passed 8/15/15
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chrisandjulia

kbrown2b

Postby kbrown2b » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 pm

julia..
You wanna know something funny??? My onc nurses told me that it's the worst rash that they have ever seen... WOW!! i should be so honored... i just laughed and asked if i won a prize..

i just hope all this stuff works.. wanna see my baby go to kindergarten!!! Tell Chris i am thinking of him..
Kelley 38
mommy to Dalton(14),Raegan (11),and Ella (5)
stage IIIC 5/26/10
resection:6/1
Xelox 6/30
ovarian mass 12/16
moved to Stage III.5
Folfiri /erb 1/25/11
hyster./abcess /temp illeo 9/11
reversal 11/11
back in abdomen Folfox and Avastin 8/12

Suze

Postby Suze » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Kelley, I'm so sorry to hear you have the dreaded erbitux rash. I was on erbitux for 6 months, and the rash only goes away after you go off. I had a bad rash, too, and I talked to the oncs, the onc. nurses, and the onc. pharmacists, and none of them were any help. So I insisted on seeing a dermatologist who was able to help me. He called it chemo induced rosecea. There are things that can help, so be persistent. Also, search this forum as this topic comes up from time to time with good advise. Best, Susan
Dx 5/07 Stage IV 59 y/o
6 mos Folfox, Avas., erb.
Surg. for colon, liver mets 1/08
Folfox & Avas. 2/08-8/08
Liver met 10/09, Iri 11/09 - 7/10
SBRT 4/10, 12/10
30-40 lung mets 4/11
Irin./erbitux 5/11-8/11
xeloda/avastin 8/11-2/12
xeloda/erb 2/12/-4/12

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:14 pm

He called it chemo induced rosacea.

Exactly what my Dad's derm said too. My Dad used a couple of different topical antibiotics, I think one of them was metronidozol (metrogel).

I would not rely on your oncologist to help with the rash, it's not his area of specialty. A derm has greater depth of knowledge. Not every treatment works the same for every person so the bigger the bag of tricks carried by the doctor, the better. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error.

Personally, I would avoid systemic antibiotics, if possible. People tend to think if they're not treating an infection like a UTI that they're ok to take a systemic antibiotic without risking resistance, but the antibiotic doesn't know what it's there for and it will kill all bacteria that are sensitive to it, including the good bacteria. Everyone has different needs and expectations, but a least weigh your options. Going for a systemic antibiotic out of convenience isn't necessarily the best choice.

I remember one of my Dad's docs saying he needed an antibiotic and my Dad wasn't too excited by the prospect so he said "surely, there's a different way to deal with this," and the doctor says, "well yes, but it's a lot more work." WTF? We'll do the work, thanks. The "more work" was basically cleaning a wound and putting a little neosporin on it. Which, BTW, was a lot less work than the systemic antibiotic would have been because it was an antibiotic that had given my Dad diarrhea in the past.

Sometimes, an antibiotic is life or death and you'd be foolish not to take it, but more often than you might think, that's not the case.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

Phuong
Facebook Username: Phuong Ly Gallagher

Postby Phuong » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:11 pm

I would also suggest finding a dermatologist that has experience with treating cancer patients. I didn't think about it until I was referred to one, but it was very comforting to know that the guy had experience with the exact issue I was dealing with due to treatment. As for the hair, I say shave it. At least it puts that into your control instead of finding it on the pillow/in the shower. My MIL was so funny when she went through chemo and decided to shave her head. She put it in a box and mailed it to her sister. Completely FREAKED her out. :lol: Good luck Kelley. Hope you find some relief soon!
Phuong
http://sonofamotherlessgoat.net/
dx'd Stage III Rectal (T3 N1 M0)
Now Stage IV mCRC

Candyys03
Facebook Username: Candy Llamas

Postby Candyys03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:05 am

I just did my second round of chemo.
My rash seems a lot worse this time around so I am checking out other products too.

(under your boobs-nystatin powder,cornstarch powder,baby powder)
doxycycline prescription meds used for rosecea or other acne meds- a dermatologist can help
clindamycin gel (gel is thicker and works better) or lotion-prescription
Aquaphor-by eucerin
Udderly smooth cream
Cetaphil soap or other sensitive skin soaps
Aveeno soaps and lotions
Baby shampoo/wash
Head n Shoulders-on head and body
Neutrogena or any brand body oil-for dryness and itch
Diaper rash ointment (going to try on my nose)
Calamine lotion
Acne lotions and products
Waterless soaps and other body washes used by hospitals.

The problem is finding the one that works for you without spending a fortune.
Try trial or travel sizes first if you can.

Some work better on your hands and some better on your face.
The spa socks and gloves are good for your hands and feet too.Put them on after you put the lotion on.Sometimes you can find them at the 99cent store.

I shave my hair before every chemo.After you do it the first time it gets easier and it's one less thing to deal with.You can go bald or leave a little.I use the #1 and leave a little because my skin is very sensitive even when I'm not on chemo.
You don't have to deal with it, see it fall out-on your pillow,in the shower,on your clothes or in the mirror,wash it brush it, etc...
I do it right away because if you wait too long you get the rash on your scalp and then you have to be very careful when you shave it because it's sore and itchy.
Then you can have fun wearing hats,scarves and wigs.
I hope this helps and you find something that works for you.
If anyone has anything new that might work I'd be interested too.
Candy :mrgreen:
DX8/0642yrIVCCmtsliver
9/06opcol+lymps
07oxy
08livernonop
08iri+erb
1/09opliver
NED11m
12/09lungmts
3/10livermts
NED7m
2/11lungmts
4/11NED3m
5/2Xel
9/26lungop
NED6m
3/12lungmtsirierb
11/27avas+ox
7/13Stivarga
10/28irierb
1/17
caringbridge.orgcandyllamas

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I have been on Erbitux since November. Rash has not gone away yet. I keep symptoms under control, though. For awhile, when scalp was very itchy, I used a product called scalpicin. It was a medicated tissue that I just rupped all over my head.

For my fash, I think I have mentioned this all ready, I used Clinique 7 day scrub. Daily, sometimes twice daily. It doesn't make the rash go away, but it keeps it from being painful or itchy.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:38 pm

kbrown2,
What have you been given for the rash? I understand hannahw's point about antibiotics, but the standard course for the Eributx rash does use antibiotics (oral or topical) when needed. I would definitely see a dermatologist just for my own comfort.
Best wishes,
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

LeeT

Postby LeeT » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Mamma,
Sorry to hear about the rash- that would suck. Hair wise was a tough decision for me until I looked like a Dr. Seuss character with bits of long hair...hubby went at then with a pair of scissors. I felt much better after that and actually got some confidence to wear the pixie look. You can definitely rock the look...and hey summer is near...beat the rage and wear your hair short (or as I call it my chemo cut)
Hope all is going well with you, thinking of you and your kiddies
LeeT
Age31
Proud mamma of Rhys and wifey to Grant
Dx 29 April Stage IV mCRC cancer with mets on liver
18/05- Started FOLFIRI with Avastin

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm

kbrown2b wrote:... i am on the dreaded Erbitux along with Folfiri...
but the darn rash is driving me crazy!!

Didn't see it mentioned this thread...but you DO know that developing the rash... the better the apparent response to the Erbitux ???

Hopefully a bit of a positive FYI :D

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”