Ladies - any hair tricks?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Ladies - any hair tricks?

Postby seussfan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Do any of you have any hair tricks out there. All I do is wash and condition my hair with moisturings shampoo and conditioner. Then I use a wide toothed comb to smooth it out and throw on a headband. I am so paranoid about doing something to lose more hair, I don't even use the hair dryer.

But, I do want to look good (mostly at work) and wonderd if anyone had some tricks to make your hair look thicker, any stying suggestions, etc. I need to feel like I look good - I don't want to look sick!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:19 pm

you're already doing more than i dared do when i noticed so much hair coming out.
i stopped washing it every day. i'd wash it every other...more commonly every two or three days i'd wash it. and i'd barely touch it when i did.
i would get out of the shower, and not touch it. letting it airdry, and then loosely pulling it into some sorta messy ponytail.
i didn't do anything to it, (headbands are good. wraps, scarfs. but not worn as a turban, just worn headband style)

but i guess i could do that, and not too many would take notice of my hair. (i remember someone told me "oh you have so much hair!" heh, that was in response to me saying i was on chemotherapy. cuz i've NEVER had lots of hair, it's always been thin and fine all my life)

but when i did wash my hair, i'd use strengthening shampoos designed to reduce breakage, etc., wouldn't know if it made a difference, but figured it couldn't hurt.

and i did use a spray on product from Rusk hair products. it was a strengthening thing, my hair stylist gave it to me and said to use it after i washed my hair, on wet hair. can't remember the name of it. it smelled like grapefruit though.

good luck!

Monique

Postby Monique » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 pm

The dreaded hair loss. Quite honestly, nothing seemed to help me. When I was in treatment my hair started to fall out, really fall out, by about the sixth session. Although I was never totally bald, it was obvious that I was suffering from hair loss. For the last two or three months I wore baseball caps (however, I wasn't working).

Anyway, I didn't cut my hair until a few months after my treatment ended. Instead, for some reason I can't really fathom, I wore my hair in a Donald Trump sweep over. Nice. What the hell was I thinking? To make a long story short, cutting my hair was not only really liberating, but it was also really flattering. I wish I had cut it sooner.

Monique

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Seussfan-

I have naturally fine hair, and even through I didn't experience much hair loss, I did run across a product that I think makes my hair look fuller. I didn't use this particular product over the weekend, and I thought my hair looked like crap.

Here is a link to it.

http://tigihaircare.us/tigi/bedhead/arc ... lator.aspx

I bought it from Ulta (don't know if you have that store by you). It came in a two pack, and was a little cheaper that way.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

seussfan

Postby seussfan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:17 pm

That is so funny! My mom just got back from a trip to see a friend who had cancer and she recommended the same thing! I have seen TIGI products in our local drug store and Giant. Her firend also rec. some sort of volumizer by TIGI also. Sounds like I will need to try it! I have a wedding to go to on the 6th and I want to try to look good. :lol:
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
2009 Colondar Model

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 pm

I am with cynncal, I washed only when necessary, not messing with it. Unfortunately your cuticles to the hair follicles are being destroyed, so I would not spend a tremendous amount of money on speical shampoos. Someone I knew on chemo with me used all kinds of crazy expensive regimens for hair loss, and I think they ended up lossing 3 times as much as me. Something actually mild and mosturizing would be the best.

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:08 pm

My hair was to my shoulders and all one length. i lost I would say at least half all eyebrows and all other body hair but I didnt cut it I just would have trims and wore headbands because i lost more in the front. then when the back got bad. I wore alot of baseball caps. I did get it cut alittle once in a while but just to make it look thicker. As it grew in I put it in pony which was pretty thin and skinny by the end but I added a fake pony and jelled the small baby hairs back in the front as they grew in. it worked pretty good.

My son was 9 at the time and he did not want me to wear a wig

finally I had a real cut in style last june for the colondar shoot. Im glad I didnt cut all off like I was tempted to because I wouldnt have had the longer back pieces to work with even though it wasnt as long as when I started.
Good Luck.
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

Rui
Facebook Username: ruipinto

Postby Rui » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi, reading this topic reminded me of a conversation i had with a young girl that has colon cancer like us, we spend alot talking, as it was her first treatment, she was always asking questions.

And one of the questions I did not know to answer is, we are on folfox6 + 48h 5FU, i'm on 9th round and had no hair loss, he's she going to lose her hair, eyebrows?

Any experiences, regards,
Rui
Diagnosed and surgery @ March 2007 ( age 29 ) - 50 cm of colon removed, Laparoscopic surgery
Stage IIIB - 2 nodes out of 13, T3N1M0
Chemo from 7 June 2007 to 7 November 2007 - 12 cycles of Oxaliplatin + 5FU with 48h pump
Officially NED since 12/12/2007

seussfan

Postby seussfan » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:57 pm

The hair on my eyebrows, my eyelashes and my arm hair all thinned along with the hair on my head. Strangely enough, I still have to shave my legs every day!!!!
2009 Colondar Model

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:39 pm

I was on a really high dose and did loose all eyelashes and eyebrows. But when I stopped to have second surgery they grew back.
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

Monique

Postby Monique » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:46 am

I lost hair everywhere (and I mean everywhere). You name it, I lost it. ...except, now that I think about it, my eyelashes remained unchanged. Unlike some of the others I didn't have to shave my legs for six months, nor pluck my eyebrows. Strangely, I developed one small bald patch on each eyebrow. I don't think anyone noticed. Finally, almost a year since concluding FOLFOX, the eyebrow hair is starting to return. Further, not only has my hair returned to normal, but it appears to be thicker than it originally was, and slightly wavy.

Monique

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”