Epidural?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
turtle64

Epidural?

Postby turtle64 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Has anyone got any experience with an epidural for colectomy surgery? My DH's surgeon said he may go that way because he is not fond of the idea of putting him back on the morphine pump so soon after his first operation.

Traveler001

Postby Traveler001 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 pm

I had the epidural and it was awesome. I never felt "out of it" from my pain meds, no matter how many times I would click the button, but instead my lower abdomen and back were numb to pain. I highly recommend it. I almost forgot I had the epidural until you reminded me..
Diagnosed June '07
Laparoscopic LAR surgery - 7/12/07
Stage IIIC 4/21 nodes
FOLFOX6 and Erbitux started 8/24/07
Completed 11 / 12 on 1/15/08
NED
New 4.5 cm lung mass and lymph nodes discovered 7/12
Folfiri w/ Avastin on 9/14/12 - 11/29/12

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:49 pm

Last November I had a laproscopic colon resection (which was my first ever surgery) and just before the anesthesiologist came in the room 2 nurses whispered to me to tell him I wanted an epidural. He thought about it for a few minutes and then said yes. He came in to my hospital room to check on me before they removed it and said he was glad he did. After they removed it I realized just how much it helped.

Good luck,

Robin

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:45 am

I had an epidural with my first surgery - and it was a great thing!

Carolyn

turtle64

Epidural?

Postby turtle64 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. A couple other questions - is the epidural a one-time thing or do you keep getting "refills". Also, can you walk with an epidural or are you numb all the way down? :?:

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: Epidural?

Postby betsydoglover » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:35 pm

turtle64 wrote:Has anyone got any experience with an epidural for colectomy surgery? My DH's surgeon said he may go that way because he is not fond of the idea of putting him back on the morphine pump so soon after his first operation.

I had a laparoscopic colectomy and had an epidural for pain control. It was effective - and no wierd mental effects since the drug was not IV. Go for the epidural - I mean, why should you have opioid drugs circulating in your bloodstream when you only need pain relief below the waist?! My surgeon ordered the epidural - my anesthesiologist told me she would only do it if the surgeon ordered. Please have him get an epidural.

The big problem I had was the hospital! For the first day, they took the drug bag away as soon as the pump beeped and didn't bring back a new supply from the pharmacy until around an hour passed. By then I had to start almost all over with pain control. It was hideous. Talking with anesthesia department got that fixed, so I may be the only one who had that problem, but just in case, be proactive. When the pump beeps, there is still drug remaining. They should order the replacement and have it ready by the time the drug runs out. Scream if they try to leave your DH drug free for the first day or two.

Wishing you the best,
Betsy

ray

Postby ray » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:31 pm

For me the epidural was amazing. No pain at all. Just one slight problem, it worked a little bit too good and my right leg was numb to the point of being uncontrollable. When the nurses tried taking me for my first post surgical walk, it just collapsed and the epidural had to be pulled and replaced with a morphine pump. By that point, the worst was over anyway. It took just a few hours for my leg to regain sensitivity and I was up and walking relatively pain free.
Diagnosed at age 47 after bleeding for many years
Stage II, T3N0M0
Sigmoid resection 8-20-02, 6 mo 5fu/leucovoran
Currently NED.

Traveler001

Postby Traveler001 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:47 pm

The epidural is something that you will have for surgery and the following days recovering in the hospital. (a week or less?) If its done well, then it should only affect the part of the body around the incision. But I also started to feel that it was off a little bit. I didnt feel any pain anywhere, but it also numbed the right side of my lower back more than the left side. No problem, just something of note.

the epidural is great because I was alert and normal instead of in some kind of a Morphine haze. I was able to walk around and recover faster I believe.
Diagnosed June '07
Laparoscopic LAR surgery - 7/12/07
Stage IIIC 4/21 nodes
FOLFOX6 and Erbitux started 8/24/07
Completed 11 / 12 on 1/15/08
NED
New 4.5 cm lung mass and lymph nodes discovered 7/12
Folfiri w/ Avastin on 9/14/12 - 11/29/12

Becca

Postby Becca » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 am

I had an epidural after my colon surgery & after my liver surgery. I was resistant to it because I had been through natural child birth & thought it was a breeze. (8 months prior to my colon surgery...) I'm tough. I can deal with the pain, right? :wink: My Dr. highly recommened I opt for the epidural over the drugs. It was the BEST decision I could have made. Because you are awake & alert you are able to get out of bed sooner & recovery is easier. I say go for it. You'll be happy you did!! :D

LA8

Postby LA8 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:32 am

During my recent surgery to remove my rectum, I was on a 'pain ball', no morphine, no epidural. A 'pain ball' is sphere containing a three day supply of local anesthetic, and a miniature pump. Attached to it are two tiny catheters going straight into the area of surgery. The ball attaches to your gown or shirt with a safety pin. The unit is completely self contained and pumps continuously for 3 days, and the catheters are pulled out. Fantastic! These have only been out for a few months and I couldn't find anything on the net, but I would encourage anyone facing surgery to ask their doctor about this method. The only other medication I took way two Tylenol (paracetamol) in the morning to make it easier to get out of bed.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”