Three years today

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
maryv

Three years today

Postby maryv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 am

Good Morning all,

I haven't visited the colon club in quite sometime. Spent this past year trying to be like Scarlett Ohara....I'll think about colon cancer tommorrow.

When I was diagnosed we had no insurance. I went into a state teaching hospital after visiting my regular doc. He thought I had appendicitis. By the next day we all knew I had cancer and surgery was done. Three weeks later I had my port in place and was doing chemo. Spent the next year doing that.

After finishing chemo I began seeing the gyno for bad paps. Long story short, had the hysterectomy because of endo cancer. Early staging, doc's say I'm cured.

Right after the hysterectomy my husband finally managed to get a job with great insurance. I did the waiting period and started seeing my oncologist at her private practice instead of at the clinic. I have to say I felt like a queen and still do everytime I go into her office.

I have done a colonoscopy, cat and pet scans, had two skin cancer's removed, had my port removed, this year. I see my oncologist every three months. Well....I went day before yesterday and she said see you in six months. I thought I would faint. Really! Six months....that's an eternity.

I feel so blessed to have made it three years. I was diagnosed stage IIIC. THis year I made a conscience decision to change my attitude. I was so sick and tired of cancer brain for every doctor visit. Three months passes really quickly so everytime I turned around I had cancer brain. It seemed to work though. When I went to this last visit I had no cancer brain for the first time. I actually almost forgot I had to go.

I hope yall don't mind me dropping in to share my news. For those who are just in the beginning of this struggle, hang in there. There is so much hope out there. I pray for everyone who has this dreaded disease.

Hugs to all,

Mary

DAVE1_INDYDAD

3rd year

Postby DAVE1_INDYDAD » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:20 am

Great News!

Congrats for the good news and continued good fortune! Thanks for sharing.

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:25 pm

COngratulations! I can't even imagine getting to that point! I hope you celebrate!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

eitter

Postby eitter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 pm

AWESOME Mary!

Three Years and in another Three Years you will say six years and so on!

The Power os Positive Thinking!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Time to celebrate! Three years out and NED! Wow! I'm Stage IIIC too. It'll be a happy day when I'm where you are! I'm coming up on 18 months now.

helen098

Postby helen098 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Wow, Mary three years that is great
Hope to continue to do great
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

maryv

Postby maryv » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:12 am

Thanks everyone!! It is nice to share with understanding people. People seem to think I need to move on and not get so emotional and excited. It's like they expect good results. I do too but have that little bit of fear everytime I go for a doc visit.

You guys are great!

Mary

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:49 am

Honey, how could you NOT get a little freaked at your doctor visits? AND get a little freaked at the longer time BETWEEN visits? Getting well can be scary. You don't have your security blankets close at hand any more. I've got an appointment Monday, and a scan coming up. I'm freaked. I know people with other cancers who are many years out who still get nervous at check-ups.

I've heard that most recurrances happen in the first two years. You're over the hump now. Two more years and you're free and clear.

Go ahead and celebrate. Lots of life events are an emotional mixed bag.

Larry

Postby Larry » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Great going Mary! Thank you for giving us all some hope and encouragement!
Larry
diagnosed age 53
stage IIA T3N0M0
laproscopic sigmoid colectomy may 2007
folfox 12 rounds

sean

Postby sean » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Its always nice to read good news. Congratulations.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”