identifying a possible recurrence on the incision? What?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Traveler001

identifying a possible recurrence on the incision? What?

Postby Traveler001 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Just wondering..

I could be a little too vigilant, but I keep looking at my incision, and noticing that there is one spot where the skin is a little darker in a 1cm circle, off of one edge, and on the incision in that area, the incision is redder than the rest of it.

This morning I took some tissue and there was a trace amount of blood where the surface of the skin must have broke a little. Not much, just a little like the smallest of a razor nick, but just enough to get my mind spinning. It could be just from a hair poking thru the skin or it it just that that area is affected by the position of my clothes/belt.

My surgery was 8 weeks ago now. The rest of the incision is really looking pretty good.

I dont see my surgeon again until the middle of October...

Am I worrying too much? Wha would a recurrence look like?

thanks..
Diagnosed June '07
Laparoscopic LAR surgery - 7/12/07
Stage IIIC 4/21 nodes
FOLFOX6 and Erbitux started 8/24/07
Completed 11 / 12 on 1/15/08
NED
New 4.5 cm lung mass and lymph nodes discovered 7/12
Folfiri w/ Avastin on 9/14/12 - 11/29/12

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Please don't worry about the incision healing like that. I have had over a dozen surgeries (mostly orthopedic) and each incision heals a little differently. If the incision is infected, believe me you will know. It will be extremely painful and ooze stuff out of it-yellow, green or other colors. I remember one of my incisions (on my left knee) had one area that was dark purple while on both sides it was pink. I was sure something was the matter.

You may very well have an area that is getting irritated by your clothing. As long as you are not noticing a lot of blood, I would not worry. Does the incision looked healed? You can tell if it is just a surface break or deeper down. It will look entirely different. As long as it is just the surface of the incision and nothing deeper, it is nothing to worry about. I would suggest that you protect that area with a guaze pad or something so that your clothes/beslt are not rubbing on it.

For quite some time, the incision will be sensitive which is perfectly normal. If you are noticing a darker spot, it is probably just a blood vessel under the surface that has broken. Again, nothing to worry about.
Like I said, I have had sooooo many incisions and each one heals a little differently, faster, parts are darker than others, wider, etc. As long as you are not noticing a discharge and running a fever, I would venture that you are just fine.

Relax and get stronger. Take care. Hope this helps.
Jaynee

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:40 am

It doesn't seem like much to worry about. I had a surface crack several months after surgery and all it did was let out a couple of drops of blood. No problems since. My incision has been sensitive at times as well, all part of healing.

As always, if you are really worried, talk to your doctor.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:22 pm

I would call your surgeon and have him check it out. It could be an abcess or a suture that your boy is rejecting. It has happened to me 8 times! And I yesterday marked 6 months since my surgery! My eight happened on Tuesday - they actually found another suture! But you could have an infection. Please get it checked!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”