Radiation proctitis

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
weisssoccermom

Radiation proctitis

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:57 am

This will probably sound stupid as I should know this, but I don't. My radiation ended almost exactly one year ago. During txs I had a litle diarrhea and got slightly burned but nothing worse than that. Did develop an anal fissure. Things are back to normal with no problems.

This past week at my checkup, both my surgeon and onc asked if I was having any problems from the radiation. I have read up on radiation proctitis and am not having any-at least not from what I have read. However, everything I have read says that problems can arise even years later.

Has anyone had problems arise years later? If so, what are they? Any ideas of what the time span can be for problems to show up? I don't ever remember either of them asking about it before so I am wondering why now?
Thanks

Jaynee

LA8

Postby LA8 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 am

Hi, Jaynee. I'm 1 year from my Radiotherapy, and no problems at all (touch wood) apart from some chafing from a very large Foley catheter that's been in there for 2 months :x

Ruth

Postby Ruth » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi, I am 1 year and 4 months post radiation for rectal cancer. I had a temporary ileostomy which was reversed this last March. I did not have any trouble until the reversal. The last 6 months have been absolutely horrible for me. I developed an anal fissure that will not heal and ulcerations that will not heal. My doc did not say I have proctitus. This all is a direct result from radiation treatments. My doc said that anytime a person has radiation to tissues like throat/mouth or rectal areas, there is sometimes a greater chance of developing problems later on. I jsut wich my doc would have told me all this before my reversal...I don't think I would have gone thru with it!!! Take care...Ruth

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”