Colonoscopy Results Question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KatyB

Colonoscopy Results Question

Postby KatyB » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm 24 years old and recently had my first colonoscopy after experiencing rectal bleeding. The Dr. removed one polyp - don't know how large/small. I was told they would call if there was anything to be concerned about, and I hadn't heard anything so I assumed all was well. My parents made me call to check since I have a family history of polyps. I called and was told the polyp tested positive for being an adenoma. I was told I needed an upper endoscopy and transvaginal ultrasound as precautionary testing, and that I would need annual colonoscopies every year for the next 5 years. I did some research, and having an adenoma doesn't sound like such a big deal - I read that 70% of polyps are adenomas. It sounds like the Dr. is either making a much bigger deal than necessary, or he's not telling me something. Does it sound like I should be worried??? I know you're not doctors, but you all sound pretty well-versed on the subject!

Thanks!

Katy

Traveler001

Postby Traveler001 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:00 pm

I would feel lucky as hell. I wish I would have had a colonoscopy just 2 years ago.

Despite all that I would approach this seriously and make sure all the bases get covered. Including a 2nd opinion. You dont want to miss anything here.
Diagnosed June '07
Laparoscopic LAR surgery - 7/12/07
Stage IIIC 4/21 nodes
FOLFOX6 and Erbitux started 8/24/07
Completed 11 / 12 on 1/15/08
NED
New 4.5 cm lung mass and lymph nodes discovered 7/12
Folfiri w/ Avastin on 9/14/12 - 11/29/12

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:28 pm

No, don't worry, but follow your doctor's advice and get checked frequently. I think you're right that pre-cancerous polyps are pretty common. I just had one removed last December. My GI doctor put it like this -- it's not a problem, but it does show that your colon is still capable of raising cancerous polyps.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

KatyB

Postby KatyB » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:58 am

Thanks for the responses! I'm definitely going to follow my Dr.'s instructions and do all the follow-up tests. Do you guys have to go for annual colonoscopies? I thought it takes years for polyps to develop, so would anything show up again after a year? Again, I know I'm asking questions that don't have right & wrong answers - just curious about your experiences.

Thanks again!!!

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:16 am

Not sure why the doc would want an endoscopy but if you have questions, get a second opinion. Personally, knowing what I know now, I wish I had gotten a colonoscopy way earlier.

An adenoma is just a type of polyp that can become cancerous. Trust me, if you have one, you would rather have it removed NOW then go through what we are going through!

You are lucky in many ways. Yes, your body is capable of producing polyps that might turn into cancer. So, keep on top of things! Be proactive with your health! Even though the idea of colonoscopies and these other tests doesn't sound appealing, please do the tests. They truly can save your life!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:43 am

I had 1 cancerous polyp which was removed. Stage III. I have since had two colonoscopies, which thank the lord have been clean. after the last one about a month ago. My surgeon reckons i wouldnt need to have one for two years now??? I dont have any family history though.

nodo

Postby nodo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 am

I had cc 3 and a half years ago and I still get annual colonoscopies. They did find something at my 2nd year which they removed, but it turned out to be nothing at all. From what I have read and my understanding, yes it does take years to grow typically. However, the colon is not a smooth surface and things can be hiding in "valleys" within the colon. Sometimes, things can be missed. However, if you go annually for a few years at least, they will increase the chances of finding everything. Stay on top of your health. My doctor tells me that at five years, we'll probably start going to every two to three years. Because of my age, he just wants to be aggressive about my care and I agree 100%. I'm so glad that yours was removed before it had the chance to develop into anything further.

KatyB

Postby KatyB » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks again everyone for your responses - this is all a little scary even though I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. I guess my Dr. is just being really careful since I'm so young. Although this board definitely proves that CC can happen at any age, it's still more rare to happen at such a young age. I'll definitely be paying close attention and following up with my Dr.!

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:55 pm

You should definately follow up on the Dr. recomendation. Your type of polyp will almost grow and turn into cancer. Polyps come back from pathology in diffrent stages and made of diffrent cells. Your type is the kind that needs to be watched. We know that once you grow one, you will grow more, especially at your young age. The endoscopy is to check and make sure you are not growing these in your stomach, which can definately happen. I would follow through. I am a nurse in an endoscopy lab, diagnosed with Stage 3 at 37 yo.
Lots of luck

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”