3RD time lucky

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
LA8

3RD time lucky

Postby LA8 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 am

Hi everybody, me again. I finally heard from the consultant and have a date booked for operation no. three (Sept 14). I hat a LAR last Nov., the cancer recurred and I went in Jul 12 to have my rectum removed, but the recurrence was coming from my sacrum. This third op. will be two part - an open operation from the front, and then up the back passage. The Surgeon is confident he can do it OK, without affecting the use of my legs?????. Is NED day finally coming??

centaurosgirl

Postby centaurosgirl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi, LA8,

I've wondered how you were doing. I sure hope the third time is the charm for you! It doesn't sound like the operation is going to be any fun, though. I hope your doctor was kidding about the use of your legs part. Hope they give you some stellar pain medication, and that you will be, and will remain, NED really soon!
Sue

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 am

I really hope so fella!!

I can't quite imagine the scar site.........do you look like a map now? I'm looking forward to the day when I can just admire my 10 inch scar without a chuffing bag stuck to it, then I rememeber I shouldn't count my chickens that that will happen and try to be nice to my pootumwilly :oops:

Crossing fingers for ya!
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:14 pm

Pete, they really are going to town on you mate!!! hope it goes well for you.

ps, sorry i missed your call. Im here until Sat then away for 2 weeks.

We still need to arrange that beer. Lisa (loopy) if your reading this your invited to!

Adios

LA8

Postby LA8 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:41 am

Hi, Sue, Lisa, and Nick. Thanks for the good wishes. Up to now I have only 4 little circles where the laproscopic stuff went in, but this time they're going to slit me down the middle. And I should have back pain for about 3 months. This op seems very rare. Anyone have any experience?

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:38 am

Nick - I think I might have to have a steak and ale pie and a mug of tea - can't do cold or often room temperature drinks on this blasted chemo!

Peter I had sacral pain from September 06 until March time partway through the radiation. I'm guessing you will be in that level of pain plus the same amount of pain in your pelvis from the LAR? I don't know about you but it took over two months for the throbbing on any level of walking or standing for more than 10 minutes to go away.

I have read that you can lose up to S2 or S3 and not have any real impact so it sounds like yours is that low? He has to tell you about your legs in the same way I was told I may lose bladder function or feelings in my "girly" organs. It's a scary op that's for sure but I hope you can stay focused on the fact that the surgeon is confident! They don't like to overegg things generally for fear of recriminations if things go wrong so take that as a good sign.

I'm struggling to find anything other than medical articles to read on the subject :cry: but this is a pretty big forum so I hope someone comes back to you.

Lisa x
Lisa

wdt

Postby wdt » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:23 am

Hey LA8, I just wanted to send happy thoughts your way. I hate to hear about the setback, but don't let it get you down. I hope your recovery is speedy and they get that demon cancer out of you once and for all.

LA8

Postby LA8 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for your insight on the backbone, Lisa. My doc said I'll have a sore back for three months. Anyway, I've decide to get off my a** and do a weeks work back in Denmark before the big operation. My 1st day at work with a bag went well. No noises that I couldn't explain and I didn't 'go' while at work (maybe the peanuts I had last night). Anyway, its taking my mind off things. Nice to here from you, WDT!!

LA8

Postby LA8 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:30 am

hi everyone had operation last fri home soon very happy with resuls. will report more then (on bedside tv interne device).

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:28 am

Great news Pete, maybe we can compare scars now! Mine is a stonking 10 inches!
Lisa

LA8

Postby LA8 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:39 am

Hello again - I'm back. What an ordeal!! The surgeon actually thanked me for giving him such a big challenge. The opened my belly with a 32 staple vertical cut, took away the remaining rectum, but did some tricky plastic surgery and preserved my butt and clenching muscle so all feels normal. Then they flipped me over (we're talking 250 lb.), opened up my back and cut off a good chunk of my tail bone. At this point the doctors could see no cancer and deemed the operation a success and since it was listed as a 'curative' operation I'm pretty optimistic at this point. I'm looking at a good 3 months to recover (very hard to sit at the moment) and a long break from bad luck! Thanks to everybody for all the support , good wishes, and prayers I have received over the last year!

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:12 am

That's great news to hear it was a success! Also glad they saved your "bits" - does that mean you still have a colostomy? I hope you have enough pain relief, sometimes I think it starts to get a little worse when the swelling goes down so keep on top of it - prevention much better than cure.

I hope you can keep yourself occupied for the next three months, I'm sure it'll pass quickly as you getter a bit better each day.

Lisa x
Lisa

Monique

Postby Monique » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:51 am

I was so happy to read that you made it through your surgery with flying colours, and that your medical team were talking about curative surgery. But, oh, you're so right--what an ordeal! Hang in there Pete.

Best wishes,
Monique

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”