A big shock

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

A big shock

Postby seussfan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:42 pm

Today I got an email that a gentleman that I always see at the oncology center - in the infusion room - has died. He had esophogeal cancer that was diagnosed in June. He had a horrible time with chemo and was having to get hydrated 3-4 times a week for 6 hours at a time. I know him through his wife who was my sister's teacher in elementary school. He was in his 60s/70s, but was healthy before the cancer.

I just sat across form him on MONDAY during my infusion! He has looked very sick all summer since he couldn't keep anything down, but I am still soo shocked. I was a wreck - I hardly know the man but it affected me so much. I was praying so hard for him and his wife. It has really brought the scary part of cancer to the forefront again. It has not been a good day.
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Hey Suessfan...I'm so sorry. It sucks. No other way to put it. Just remember that he's in a better place.

nodo

Postby nodo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 pm

It's never easy to see someone pass on from cancer, especially once you are or have been a cancer patient. Since my diagnosis, I have lost a few good friends to cancer (not colon) and these were friends that I had outside of cancer. We had been friends before either of us was diagnosed. Each time, it has hit me very hard. It does drive home that reality and, as patients, we know all too well some of what that person has gone through. I grieve for them and their families and I know that on some selfish level, it makes me wonder what is in store for me in the future. I am sorry about your friend. There is no easy way to deal with it, but time heals many wounds. I will say a prayer for him and his wife.

Carolyn JB

Postby Carolyn JB » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:37 pm

I am so sorry..........

Carolyn

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:39 am

Hi Seuss,
I'll not minimise the terrible reality of watching someone die . I visited two of my friends during their last hours. One had colon ca the other had lung ca . One was 81 ,one was 34. It is not easy. I had to put it in perspective as will you. My colon ca friend (old Tom) had lived a full life the colon ca just kept coming back. My young friend (also Tom) had a young family. Both he and I knew it was very difficult to overcome lung ca especially at the stage he had it. I'm sorry to say that the same is true for your acquaintance , there is only so much that they can remove with throat cancer then they have to rely heavily on rad and chem. On the other hand we with colon ca have heaps of stuff they can remove to get rid of the cancer. Don't lose heart at this ca death . Stay focussed and stay well. You can beat it.
Kindest Regards,
Ron.

helen098

Postby helen098 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:31 am

All I can say is my so sorry and remember he's not suffering anymore

eitter

Postby eitter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:28 pm

"CANCER SUCKS" I love my bear that has a lil T-Shirt on that says that! There is no other way to put it!

Death is very close to all of us........being in a Chemo room is one of the most sureal moments in life, just looking around at all the people with IV's, some with hair, some bald, some with wigs.......some alone, some with family and friends, knowing that anyone of them could not make it to the next round of Chemo.

God Bless the family that lost a loved one and to you for losing a friend!

Blessings!

Liz
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”