Idea

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:23 am

The forum might be big enough now to warrant a few different categories, but I'd hate to see it get too spread out. Jeremiah's suggestions were good, but I think eight categories might be a bit much.

With most forums I visit there seems to be one main category where people post and all others are ignored. Spreading out the categories too much makes it more likely that posts will go unanswered because people only check into their favorite or "normal" place and don't see other posts where their input could be helpful.

One of the things I'd worry about with a "newly diagnosed" forum is that the a lot of helpful advice for new patients comes from people who have been going through this for a while. I'd be afraid that the "old faithfuls" might not be as likely to peruse that category and we'd lose a lot of helpful information. Same goes for chemo - lots of good advice seems to come from people who are not actively getting chemo but have been through it in the past.

If the site does get divided up, my recommendation would be to keep it simple. Maybe a category for personal stories, one for memorials and inspirational stories and a main category for chat.

That's my 2 cents. I like this forum and will support whatever you choose to do with it.

janb

Postby janb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:57 am

Jeremiah - you have some very good suggestions!
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

GUEST 1

I'M BACK

Postby GUEST 1 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:53 am

Lot's of good idea's , sorry don't have the time or desire to be part of the family......................

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:22 pm

Ralph, you're cracking me up. No one is forcing you to troll the message board on a daily basis. Since you have so much free time on your hands, I could use some help moderating. Interested?

Jeremiah

Ole

Postby Jeremiah » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:53 pm

With most of my suggestions I am banking on the "ole failthfuls" who answered my questions when I came here and will still have the desire to assist newcomers no matter how the board is categorized.

Sign me up for mod!
Jeremiah Moore
Stg 4 Colon Cancer: Diag. Apr 18, 06 at Age 32
Personal Website
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistant one." -Albert Einstein

jennb

Postby jennb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:12 pm

I think this is a great idea! I get so confused trying to find info~this would definitely help!
39 - dx Feb 13 2007 Stage IV CRC/liver mets~Ovarian mets 7/07~lung mets 1/09
2/07-10/07FOLFOX6 w/Avastin
10/07-1/09Erbitux/Camptosar/Avastin
8/08-1/09 added Xeloda
1/09-off to Georgetown to find a Trial
Resection 4/07-perforated bowel
temp osotmy

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:39 pm

I think the categories would be a great idea! Sometimes I really want to go back and read something that I know I read a while back, and I can't find it. I can't wait to see what happens!
Stage 3 Colon Cancer-6 of 15 lymph nodes positive/Surgery & Dx 3-5-07/Finished Folfox4 11-28-07
Stage 0/Grade 3 Breast Cancer/Double mastectomy 5-15-09/Undergoing reconstruction
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/trishlannon
2009 Colondar Model

Dana

Postby Dana » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:16 am

I must agree with Life2short on keeping it simple as my first reaction was that of the forum losing its "family feel" if it was to be spread out too much. But thinking it over has made me understand that sections could make it easier for the newcomers who are searching for advice and news on cures and this is what is most important.
Please, out of personal selfishness, don't forget a section for caregivers. I arrived here in search of news on cures for my mum, stats and a place to vent. And please lets not forget those who were with us... I'm thinking of our angels, I'm thinking of Andrea.....

Hugs

Dana
Dana

Daughter of Mary dx Oct 2005 CC stage IV. Died feb 2006 age 61

janb

Postby janb » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 pm

Dana,
I don't remember why I came to this site, I believe after I met Molly. I felt for a while that I didn't belong here. I'm not a cancer patient nor a cancer survivor. I am a sibling of a brother that died too young from the disease. I've found comfort and met many nice people. I've learned a lot within this forum and it's filled me information to pass on and encourage others to come here to get answers.

I had a difficult time with Andrea's death, it came too close to home for me. I supported her, encouraged her and prayed my heart out, I was devastated. My first instinct was to never come back here, it hurts too much to see somebody not make it. It hurts to lose another friend, it hurts period. I many not physically have gone through colon cancer, but I sure have emotionally. Therefore, a caregiver and picker-upper category would be wonderful. If Molly does nothing, that's OK too.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”