Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lisamill39
Facebook Username: lisamill39

Re: Wives of husbands with Stage IV Colon Freaking Cancer

Postby lisamill39 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:22 pm

I hope everyone has a good memorial week end. DH went thru his first cycle of 5FU and oxi with very little side effects. Was suppose to get second cycle this past Tuesday but heart was in A-Fib. He has had this for a while but has never needed blood thinners because of his bad liver.(thin blood has been a problem). Onc didn't want him to have chemo until after seeing a cardiologist. Cardiologist said everything was fine. My question is has anybody ever heard of chemo causing A-Fib? DH is scheduled for chemo this week with avastin also being added. Thanks for all your help.

Lisa M.
Husband stage 4 rectal cancer
Not a candidate for surgery
Xeloda and 6 weeks radiation
5 FU & oxzaliplatin & avastin

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat May 26, 2012 12:08 am

Oh Wendy, I am so sorry. But hospice can be a great help with a liaison to the dr for needed meds etc. I will be praying for strength to you also. Pm me if any specific questions, I will answer as honestly as I can. Hopefully much good time left. Glad you spending time by ocean. God bless!
Lisa m, chemo can cause many things, hadn't heard about a fib, but doesn't surprise me. Hoping your hubby can continue chemo soon
colon cancer stage 3 2n0mets 2002
cancer returns march 2010
emerg brain surgery, chemo may 2010 sterotactic radiation april 2010

progression of tumors march 2011 new chemo camptosar leukovorin 5fu avastin
Kenny age 58/died 11/21/11

las

Postby las » Tue May 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Wendy, I am so sorry to hear the news, I hope ur husband is pain free and that ur getting the help u need. I am at a lose for words. Praying for u and ur family.

Lisa, I do not know anything about a-fib, but do think it's a good idea ur husband gets clearance from cardiologist. All I have read is that 5fu can cause a heart attack, very rare I believe, but has happened. I am not sure if that is what they were concerned about or not but always better to have it all checked out either way.

I am not having a good night, I don't know why my emotions have gotten a hold of me tonight. Kevin did his second round of irrintecan today and the cramping set in during infusion this time. They gave him something thru the I've for it and it helped but tonight the cramping came back after he ate dinner. He is resting now, but it breaks my heart to see him in pain. Living life with cancer always on ur mind is so hard and I know you all know this. I just wish and pray that God would give Kevin some good news for a change. He has been dealt a very bad deck of cards most of his life and this just isn't fair. Reading Matthews thread about his wife having such a terrible time so quickly is breaking my heart.

I think about all of all the time and I feel like my life is devoted to u guys and all cancer patients, I don't find much joy in life anymore and I know I need to make the best of it and that is so hard to do.

I am praying for each and everyone of u and ur families

Maybe tomorrow I will feel better but for now I am in the dumps.

Love and hugs to all of u

Lisa
Lisa
Fiance DX 6/27/11 CC IV w/liver mets,adrenal glnd,pet.
7/25/11 folfox
8/2/11 surg.colon wall prefor.no removal of tumor
8/24/11 folfox ,3/12 5FU, 5/12 irinitecan failed, 7/12 didn't qualify regronfenib
8/13/12 Hospice, 8/18/12 married, died 9/10/2012

Kompressor

Postby Kompressor » Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Are there any resources that could help my wife and I deal with my cancer? The stress is building. I often think this whole ordeal is harder for her than me. She's so committed to my care it may as well have been both of us diagnosed. It doesn't help that intimacy is often the last thing on my mind, especially when dealing with chronic pain. I just want to relieve some of the stress my wife is feeling by caring for me but of course she would never willingly release any of the responsibility she feels for me. I just want to make this easier for her. What can I do?
33 Male
3 Colon Resections over 6 years
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
Feb 2012 DX Stage IV CC with peritoneal mets
Start FOLFOX 04.11.12
Stop chemo after 4 treatments due to complications
Cytoreduction, HIPEC, colectomy, ileostomy scheduled for July 6

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Lisa, sending you a hug, it's hard to watch them feel so badly, kenny took reglan for cramps and it helped, ask oncologist, hope something helps!

Kompressor, ask your oncologist or social worker, there are often group meetings tht may help. We have a home of hope locally, which we never got to use, bit they have groups, individual talks, massage, things for children. See what s offered in your area. Intimacy can be just talking quietly with her, hold her hand, let her know she is your own true love. I remember most when Kenny would hug me, even if he dissolved in tears, and the last times he said"I love you mom" . Memories are always precious. I hope this helps a bit. Please stay and post, you are most welcome here.

Pagal1

Postby Pagal1 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 am

Hi everyone!
My son qualified for the national bee , so hubby wanted to come to his cousins wedding and d.c. Hes still on TPN and we had it delivered here ... But he has hardly left the hotel room except to watch the prelims and short walk for dinner . Im trying to have a gd time, believe me my son being a spelling bee champion was not a priority!
But, it's this anger.. Can't get rid off it... Praying we make it back in one piece home on Sat.
I may need professional help and we'll pbably have to do it, soon
Wendy, my heart and prayers go out to u...
All others.. Been a busy bee week will catchup later
Wife to wonderful husband
CC-6/09-age39
3C-SBTL colectomy, FOLFOX(12cyc)
7/11-cancer returns-Stage4-omental mets
6cycles FOLFORI & Avastin(3)
HIPEC & cytoredn-11/11
gastroparesis-6/12-still onTPN,liver & lung mets
Folfiri -2nd opinion now

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Shital, congrats on your son getting in the national bee,
Do you think your hsbd was trying to have a "normal" visit? And maybe he just doesn't feel good enough? Kenny felt safest at home, people stared due to his weight loss and it hurt his feelings to be different. And I bet ypu were hoping for a normal family outing also, it's hard to deal with when life doesn't measure up to our needs. Remember all the feelings you have and multiply them by 3. That is probably what he feels like. Staring death in the face can knock anyone to their knees. Your anger is just your way of fighting against things you can't control. My 7 yr old dachshund turned and now she is paralyzed back legs, this happenned tues. yes this will be hard to deal with, but she is my baby and I will do whatever it takes to make the rest of her life as good as I can. Life is not easy, but love conquers all. Hope you are better my friend, it's hard! Love , sharon

Pagal1

Postby Pagal1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 am

Sharon,
It's sun morning and we finally made it back home, in one piece..Yes day ... Actually was a good day for him .. He even ate a little .... And guess what he said the same thing u did .... He feels btr when he's home...
You r also rt , I was hoping 4a nml family time... And didn't get that... We as a family r not normal .... It's so funny people have asked me this question so many times" doc, am I normal?".. My reply has been " normal is only a setting on my dryer... I just find it very hard to only live in the present .. And past resentments,memories,hopes etc pop up and the future just scares me... Don't know why......
Wendy,have been thinking abt u and ur hubby .. Hope u have a good time on your little getaway....
I pray we all find strength to deal with whatever today holds......
I finally want to end by quoting Snigdha N., this yr's spelling bee champion's last words in her speech she gave at the awards ceremony...... " I will be eternally grateful for the greatest invention of mankind... "THE WRITTEN WORD"..... "
That is what helps me b a part of this family,
Love always,
Shital
CC-6/09-age39
HIPEC & cytoredn-11/11
Folfiri -2nd opinion now

Pagal1

Postby Pagal1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:50 am

Lisa,
It is hard to live with cancer on ur mind all the time ... Life is not fair... I still have no answer to thequestion" why?".... I pray for Kevin to have the strength to deal with his treatments
I find that quite a few days I don't have any joy or happiness for life either .... But itry hard .. Because the sadness for me changes to anger and then everyone around me is unhappy...
We have to go on , sister, we have no choice .., look around you and u will find other families with problems.2
The hardest part of this journey for me has been to watch him suffer and my kids with him.. And that's why I work, or just go out for a walk or leave the room ... He'll b fine .. But he needs u to b string for him.
Granted,there have been days I don't feel like doing anything at all ....and refuse invitations ... But I just wait for the btr days
My hubby will have to start chemo again soon after a Petscan.... I don't know how that will go,yet....
I wish this was all a very bad dream and wld wake up ... But that's not likely..,,,,
so, we go on .. Wait for a btr trow
CC-6/09-age39
HIPEC & cytoredn-11/11
Folfiri -2nd opinion now

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:20 am

Hello, all you wonderful wives,

I wanted you all I am thinking of you, praying for you, admiring you, loving you from afar. I am mortified at what so many of you are going through.

My husband made it through all his chemo (stage IV lymphoma) and is having the all-important PET/CT on 6/12. If he's not in complete remission, we're in some big trouble...so we're just waiting to see.

Hugs to you all, wherever you are.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

pmterra

Postby pmterra » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am

Good Morning Everyone,
I just came on to see how you are all doing. Andy just looked over my shoulder and asked "what is it that draws you to this board so often? Is it b/c you are wanting to help other caregivers?" I think ultimately that is my goal - to help at least one caregiver to get through the day knowing that they aren't alone and what they're feeling and doing isn't crazy. The other is that I feel such a connection to all of you and worry about you. So many of you ( I won't name you b/c I wouldn't want to leave anyone out ) are facing unimaginable circumstances and it is heartbreaking. I don't always comment b/c I don't feel like I've earned the right to i.e. I've not been where you are yet. That doesn't mean I am not here for you...I do want you to know that I think about you all and say a prayer each day that it will be a day that brings you comfort and peace. Love, P.
caregiver to survivor husband
Stage 3C - Colon
surgery June, 2008
6 mo. chemo/FOLFOX & Avastin
June 2015 - 7 year survivor :)

las

Postby las » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am

Shital, thank u, ur comment about normal being a setting on ur hair dryer made me laugh. I hope being back at home ur family will have better days soon and more of them. U sound good today and the rest of ur day is wonderful.

Wendy... Praying for strength and peace for u dear during this hard time.

Sharon, did I understand u correctly? Something happened to ur dog? Did u say he is paralyzed on his back legs now? Please tell me NO..... I am so sorry to hear this if this is the cause, how awful.

Bev,

Good to hear from u, ur hubby seems to have done pretty good thru the treatments and I will be praying that his scan moving up in a few weeks shows absolutely nothing. I don't recall how the scans were in between? Have they all been good or showing positive results? not sure how scans work with lymphoma.

Hugs to all

Lisa
Lisa
7/25/11 folfox
8/24/11 folfox ,3/12 5FU, 5/12 irinitecan failed, 7/12 didn't qualify regronfenib

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Lisa, yes she is paralyzed in rear, this is hope the sweet dog who say guard on Kenny as he died. I am hoping we can get over this huge bump in road and she can live as near normal life as possible, another trial! We are working on this.

las

Postby las » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Sharon,
I am so sorry I know how much your dogs mean to you and my Pom and cat are babies as well. I will be praying that things go well for him/her. Don't u have two of them? How did this happen? This is all u needed after everything u have been thru I know it's not fair and u need a break from all the downers life is bringing ur way.
http://www.dogquality.com/dog-carts.html
I came across this site when I was looking for pet strollers and thought I was interesting and now it is a perfect time to share with someone. I hope I cute and pasted it correctly.

Praying for ur little one

Lisa
Lisa
7/25/11 folfox

Seriously, WTF?

Postby Seriously, WTF? » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Hello all... I read all the time, but post very little. Always know that my thoughts are with you!! xoxoxoxoxo
ALWAYS IN MY HEART!
5/7/2013

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”