Cancer may be back!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mammamia99@aol.com

Cancer may be back!

Postby mammamia99@aol.com » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:51 am

I am new to this site. I have been searching the internet trying to get info on colon cancer and it's comforting to know you are here.

My husband was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer in March '05 at 37. After his resection surgery, he started his chemo treatments in April '05. After a rocky road his oncologist changed the bi-weekly treatments to once a week and he also received avastin. His cea levels always hovered in what the doctor called the normal range. The doctor's were positive about his recovery.
My husband had his last CT scans in December and everything came back negative. When he went for his blood test a few weeks later, the oncologist called to inform us that his level had gone up and they believe the cancer has returned! Needless to say we are terrified.

He is scheduled for a PET scan this week. Can someone please tell me what this may mean? The CT scans have always come back negative as I said earlier. We are at the end of our rope with worry. He fought so hard to handle the chemo. Had been ill and had to endure infections along the way. We are scared to death. If anyone has a similar story or any idea on how we should proceed with further treatment, please let me know.

I don't want him to give up the fight. We have two kids, 7 and 3. They need their Dad. My husband's family has a history of Cancer. His Dad lost his battle to prostate cancer at 49. It has been difficult to keep him positive. Any advice or help will be appreciated.

bill

Postby bill » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:33 am

I would not worry right now. CEA is not a reliable test. CT Scans and PET Scans are more accurate. Many outside factors can raise CEA levels. In fact, while on Chemo the CEA levels can rise from the chemo killing the cancer cells. I know it is scary but I would feel very good about the negative scans.
On the flip side, CT and PET Scans can only detect a mass. If the relapse is not large enough it will not show up. So yes the cancer could come have come back which the CEA is detecting. But again, if it is not showing a mass then if it did come back it is early and still treatable and curable. This is why you have follow up to catch it early in case it does.
I truly believe that it did not come back but i am not a doctor.

How many lymph nodes tested positive and what was the T grade of the tumor.

We all have you in your thoughts and prayers and again I would be very happy if the scans came back negative.

mammamia99@aol.com

Postby mammamia99@aol.com » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:35 am

Thanks for the words of support. 9 lymph nodes tested positive. Actually, the tumor was extremely large, all the doctors assumed he had Stage IV prior to the scans. Luckily, and much to their surprise, he was clean everywhere else. Due to chemo complications, he'd had scans in between treatments. He was suffering from severe diarrhea he couldn't keep anything in him. Those scans, probably 4 in all over the course of 4 months or so, came back clean as well.

I did read that irritable bowel syndrome can raise your cea levels. However, with his history, knowing what he's been through, you can't help but worry. The oncologist seemed to be certain it was back. We are going to have the scans done, hear what his Dr has to say and then most likely change Dr's depending on his outlook. I believe that if your doctor is not upbeat and positive you need to move on. He had replaced his general practitioner after he repeatedly ignored my husband's concerns about his treatment, refused to alleviate his fears. I do not have the time to deal with these specific Dr's again if they intend to be negative.

Thanks again, will check in next week with the results. Good or not, I think this site is very helpful for those of us struggling to understand what's happening to us.

(Edward)

Cancer Back

Postby (Edward) » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:45 pm

I read your message and reply to the posibility of the cancer returning. When you speak of doctors, many times they see the same things. Each case is different. From what I read, although some cancer had spread to lymph nodes nothing spread to any organs?

You do have my support. I was diagnosed with Stage II at age 36 in 2002 with children ages 3 and 1 at the time. Hopefully, you will not be severly detoured off you road to recovery. Maybe in this case there is a little more paving to be done. In any case, early detection is on your side. Always remember your doctor works for you. Don't worry about there feelings if you have to change. Your family's health and well being is your primary concern.

Livestrong,

Edward

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”