A port vs an IV. What would you choose?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
HildaC

A port vs an IV. What would you choose?

Postby HildaC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:30 pm

So I've talked to my oncologist today, for the last time before my surgery. He gave me the usual - "We'll see what happens, if the tumor is not gone
completely, or there's something suspicious in the pathology report, you'll benefit from 6 months of adjuvant chemo". Then he said something along the lines of,
since you've reacted so well to Xeloda, we might even do Xeloda plus IV infusions, instead of you getting a port, but we'll talk about it later, if need be.

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I'm a bit confused. Has anyone been on this regimen? (Xeloda plus.. Oxi, I take it? He didn't say what drug will be used for the
infusions).

I understand that getting a port cuts down on a number of times they actually have to poke around in your veins.. But if it's only 12 infusions every two weeks, is it actually tolerable to go through the veins? Does it hurt more if you get your medications through an IV as opposed to a port? Sorry if this question sounds dumb (I'm still a chemo virgin 8) , Xeloda doesn't really count)..having been through chemo, what would you prefer, if given a choice?

Thank you so very much!!!!!

weisssoccermom

Re: A port vs an IV. What would you choose?

Postby weisssoccermom » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Hilda,
Ok, I absolutely HATED my port - for me, it was the part of this whole ordeal that I regret the most BUT.....
I only had one infusion (via IV) of oxi - no, I didn't have any issues with respect to burning, etc. but there problems. For example, chemo tends (even Xeloda without anything else) to make it more difficult to access your veins and it is generally harder, in some people, to get an IV started. Then, with that one infusion, the silly IV placement was acting up - always setting off some alarms on the pump thing. Now, that was only ONE infusion but I don't know how easy it would have been to keep finding a vein and keep (and maybe it wouldn't have happened) having that issue with the placement continually happen.

Keep in mind that most patients don't complete all 12 rounds of oxi - still that doesn't mean that a port wouldn't be easier. I truly believe that most people would tell you to get a port but....if you're looking to talk to someone who's been through it for more than 18 months now without a port, PM vancouvereve. Eve has never had a port and, to the best of my knowledge, has no intention of getting one. My point is, it can be done and it has been done.

What stage were you clinically staged at??? Are you 100% certain that oxi is going to be required?? If you were clinically staged at a early stage, the onc may only recommend a few cycles of oxi - I believe in Eric's case (brownbagger) he only originally had 4 oxis and, if memory serves me correctly, he did those without a port. I would certainly wait and see what the path report says and talk to Eve and Eric about their experiences.

Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:56 pm

Agree with everything Jaynee said about exploring how many rounds you might get, if you get any, but another huge factor is how easy it is to get to your veins. Even when I had lost 40 pounds it would routinely take 3 or 4 or 5 sticks to get blood from me. Given the reality of that, and how much of a travesty chemo is on your tissue if an IV infiltrates, I never would have done this without a port. JMO.

Good luck with your surgery. We'll be thinking about you!

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I had four rounds of Xelox with the oxi going into my arms. I don't think I'd want to do more than that (2 in each arm), but I might. As I recall, it hurt quite a bit, especially the second time around for each arm. The good news is that I don't there was any lasting damage to my veins.
Last edited by BrownBagger on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

disco nap

Postby disco nap » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 pm

My first FOLFOX treatment had to go in an arm because they couldn't get a PICC line in and I had to wait for a port. And, the oncologist was in a rush to get started. My arm still, 6 months later, has a brown bruise-like mark where the vein is that they went in. I didn't feel much pain though, as I recall, even when they told me to expect stinging/burning. However, the fact that the brown mark is there tells me that vein is likely cooked. I wouldn't want to go through the veins via IV for more than one or two treatments. I love my port (but at the same time can't want til that sucker is ripped out either!)
DX July 2 '10 CC Stage IIIC, 11/18 nodes+
Right Hemi July 6 '10
Folfox: Aug 17'10 - Feb 17'11
Mar 2012: Lynch Syndrome MLH1
"Declared well" and been well ever since.
Update: Jan 2023 - still NED.

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

I would agree with Eric, that if you're doing an abbreviated course of Oxi like him, veins would be OK. If you were going for the full 12, I wouldn't do it at all. Unlike everyone else, I actually worship the ground my port walks on :). Then again I HATE IV sticks with the fire of a thousand suns. But seroiusly, the port is awesome. I never know it's there anymore and I'd MUCH rather have it than IV needles. When I asked him once why some other folks on different chemos didn't have Ports he said that they only had a few infusions so he let them do it that way. He said he wouldn't do long-term chemo on someone without a port.

But either way you won't really know till you get your path results back.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Surroundedbylove

Postby Surroundedbylove » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Oxaliplatin is a platinum based chemo drug and those are particularly hard on the veins and can be painful. The port is generally the way to go with these drugs. Like Eric said, if four infusions or less, then maybe consider no port.

For me the port was a little uncomfortable when it went in but then it was fine. It moved a little and then was slightly troublesome - it worked just fine to get chemo in but they couldn't get blood back - it was just because it moved slightly and seemed to be against the wall of the vein so trying to get blood just sucked the wall of the vein against the port and nothing could flow (like a vacuum cleaner sucking up draperies). However, I was very glad to have the port. I had a friend who did four rounds of oxi by IV infusion in her veins and years later has messed up veins from the infusions.

I had my port removed after chemo was over so it wasn't a long term thing either.
Surroundedbylove

Rectal Cancer @ 43, '08
Clinical: T3,N2a,MX (IIIB)
6 wks XELOX & radiation
LAR, colonic j-pouch, & temp ileo '09
Surgical: ypT3,ypN0,ypMX (0 of 20 nodes)
FOLFOX; XELOX
Ileo Takedown ‘09
LARS for 10 years before learning it is finally being studied
InterStim Sacral Nerve Neuromodulator 2019

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Good question. In 2005 I had 6 cycles of Xeloda/oxaliplatin/ Avastin with no port. My infusion arm got stiff and tingly after cycle 2, but it only lasted a few days and then things improved. I've been on Avastin this time since 6/2009 - every 3 weeks. Finding a vein can be a pain, but they always find one and for me at least there is no need for a port.

Given that you don't "have" to have a port, I'd do a few cycles and see you feel. You can always get the port later if it seems like the way to go.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Port. Hands down, no question about it.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm

my opinion...I'm with Gaelen
Gaelen wrote:Port. Hands down, no question about it.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

HildaC

Postby HildaC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your help.

As far as 'port installation' is concerned, how hard was the procedure? Do they put you under for that or are you wide awake and enjoying the experience? My understanding is that it's considered minor surgery and you have to stay in the hospital for half a day. Is that correct?

Jaynee, in response to your question, I was clinically staged at T3N0M0, that makes me stage 2, I guess,and my post-surgery treatments are not clear as of now. But I'm trying to educate myself at this point so when the time comes to make the decision, I know what I'm talking about.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Check this thread for more specifics if you'd like
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18164#p138048

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

HildaC

Postby HildaC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks, CRguy, I didn't realize there was a recent thread on the subject :oops:

nicola smith

Postby nicola smith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:57 pm

CRguy wrote:my opinion...I'm with Gaelen
Gaelen wrote:Port. Hands down, no question about it.

Cheers
CRguy

me too. BTW, if they offer you a PICC as alternative to a port, say no to that too. A fiendish instrument of torture (well, ok, it just itches like heck and the bandage around the insert site plus the plastic tubing is bulky and very unsexy).
UC history
11/09: Dx, CEA 2.9
02/10: colectomy, temp ileo; pT3N1Mx
10/10: 12 Folfox6
03/11: jpouch
2010/11/12/13/14: 6 PET and/or CT's - NED
quarterly 03/2010- 03/2015: CEA range 0.8-1.3
03/2015: discharged to GP :D

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm

HildaC wrote:Thanks, CRguy, I didn't realize there was a recent thread on the subject :oops:

Hey no harm no foul...having other info is always good, which is why I also dug up the reference from an even earlier thread.

Now truth be told..back in the day, I might even have written a whole response and cut and pasted :mrgreen: BUT now that I am certifiably in a lazy stretch.....hotlinks is all you get.

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”