New study on diet & recurrence risk for colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sean

New study on diet & recurrence risk for colon cancer

Postby sean » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:19 am

I guess I'll eat a few less steaks now. From today's Washington Post:

Colon cancer survivors who eat a diet high in red meat, fats and refined grains are more than three times as likely to have a recurrence as those who consume a diet high in fish, poultry, fruits and vegetables, researchers said. Scientists already knew that avoiding a high-fat diet could reduce the risk of contracting colon cancer, but this is the first study associating the diet with a recurrence of the disease. The results were reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association. High-fat diets have not been linked to recurrence of any other type of cancer, with the possible exception of breast cancer, for which there have been conflicting results.
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 am

wow 3 times is alot! wonder if that goes for us folks who already are stage 4?

missjv

Kimberly J

Postby Kimberly J » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:27 pm

How interesting!

I had an appt. with my GP yesterday for a check up. During our conversation the topic of red meat came up. My GP wanted to know how much I ate. I told her that I normally eat a lot of chicken and fish but occasionaly some red meat (maybe 3-4 times per month). She seemed O.K. with that but did suggest I stay away from it as much as possible. She also wanted me to stay away from anything charcoaled. I told her that it being the summer, it would sometimes be difficult. She suggested I drink a glass of orange juice along with the meal. I found it to be a very interesting discussion.

Kimberly J

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:19 pm

hi kimberly,

i was wondering why the orange juice with charcoled food? i have never heard of that. i wonder if it effects the stomach acid? i love to grill i live in florida so we do it year around. i don't grill red meat anymore since cancer but i do love barbqued chicken on the grill. well if you know the answer about the orange juice please let me know.

missjv

Kimberly J

Postby Kimberly J » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi missjv,

My G.P. never gave any other reasons why I should drink orange juice along with barbequed meat other than it contains a lot of antioxidants which I already knew. She singled out red meat, processed meat and charcoaled meat and said that, if possible, to stay away from it as it does not mix well with colon cancer.

She didn't come out and say it but I have heard that barbequed meat has been known to contain a lot of carcinogens.

Kimberly J

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:42 pm

ugh! no more grilling for me.

missjv

sean

Postby sean » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Those carcinogens sure taste good though. Here's some more detailed reporting:

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/health ... 07310.html
42 - dx Jan 3 2007 stage IIA colon
9 FOLFOX4, 3 5-FU completed Sep 24 2007
Blockage symptoms, Negative Colonoscopy, Positive PET Oct 2009
2nd Resection Oct 2009 - Suspected Local Recurrence was Negative

Kimberly J

Postby Kimberly J » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:10 am

Nice article!

I would say my diet before diagnosis consisted of chicken, chicken, and more chicken with a little red meat thrown in. I was probably guilty of not eating a lot of fruits and vegetables which I now try to eat on a daily basis.

I still indulge in the good stuff.

Kimberly J

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”