Colonoscopy Question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Colonoscopy Question

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 pm

I was looking for some information on the reoccurance of polyps. I was diagnosed with Stage II colon cancer in December of '02. I had a colonoscopy on 1/19 and two nasty buggers were removed. The nurses had showed them to me and they were smaller than BB's. My doctor wasn't overly concerned, but sent them off to the lab. I was treated with 5FU and leukavorin in 2003.

Has anyone had polyps come back so quickly after being treated with chemo. Just lookin for some info here.

Livestrong,

Edward

ljane

Postby ljane » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:21 pm

Edward,
I was diag. with stage 111 colon cancer in 2002. I had a resection and I was also treated with 9 months of 5FU and leukavorin. I just recently had my first follow-up colonoscopy, everything was fine I was real nervous but relieved to have positive results. I think it will give you piece of mind to go have a follow-up colonoscopy.
Linda

Elaina

Postby Elaina » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:57 pm

Edward,
I was diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer in April '04. At that time the GI doctor wasn't able to do a complete colonoscopy because the tumor was too large to get past.

I received radiation treatment with 5FU, surgery, then FOLFOX (oxaliplatin). Then finally in December '04 I had a colonoscopy which found 1 benign polyp.

Last month I had my one year follow up and the GI doc found 6 small polyps. I couldn't believe it; luckily they all came back negative for cancer but I was really surprised to have so many polyps.
The Doc wasn't too concerned after they all came back negative, but he wants to do a Flexible sigmoidoscopy (don't know if I spelled that right) in six months.

My oncologist actually recommended I have a flex sig every 6 months for five years and CT scans every year. He based this on the recommendations of the national board of oncology (can't remember the exact name but that's pretty close).

I found the exact recomendations on the 'Net just the other day, but silly me I didn't 'bookmark' the page. When I find the info; I'll post it.

Good Luck!

Elaina
Diagnosed Stage III Rectal Cancer at age 37
Currently 3+ years cancer free!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”