Allergic reactions anyone?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wendy_21

Allergic reactions anyone?

Postby wendy_21 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi there. I am doing FOLFOX 6 (5-FU, leucovorian and oxalyplatin) plus avastin every two weeks for Stage III CC.
Monday was a rountine chemo until they started the push of 5-FU...then the nurse noticed I was breaking out with a bright red rash on my upper chest and neck. She went to get the dr and by the time the doc came in (3 mintues) the rash was gone. It did this several times. The doctor gave me a large dose of benedryl and a steroid, but the rash kep on coming and going. The doc seems to think it is a reaction to the oxalyplatin, and the nurse seemed to think it was the 5-FU. I thought I was on my way home, but they kept me there for over 1 hour after taking all the steroids and then she had me admitted to the hospital for overnight observation. The doctor was worried that an allergic reaction could escalate and send me into shock. The doc is also debating whether to admit me to the hosp. for the next round of chemo or to let me try it outpatient again but with more pre-chemo drugs to hopefully stop a reaction.
Anyone have similar experiences? any suggestions?
wendy

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi Wendy,

Last year, right after the New Year, I went in for my 5th treatment of oxilaplatin, 5FU, and Lecovorian. The day was a bust from the get go as my port wouldn't work. They sent me for xray's then decided to go forward with the treatment. I had to do gymnastics to get the port to work.....turn this way, tilt my head that way.

Finally got all the premed's in me they hooked me up to the chemo. First thing that happened I got very ill. Spent about 30 minutes on the toilet throwing up and having diaherria. Finally got over that and crawled into the bed and tried taking a nap. For some reason the treatment was really kicking my butt that time.

My husband went with me for all treatments. That day he left for over an hour which was unusual. Like I said the day was weird from the get go. When he returned I told him I was feeling very sick and felt hot. He looked me over and said wait a minute your ears are all red. Got to checking and my face, neck, arms were all red and blotchy. That got our attention so we started looking everywhere. The rash was on my belly, back, legs and feet. We called in the nurse and she went into high gear.

They stopped the chemo immediatley, called in the oncologist, gave me a shot of steroids and benedryl. The oncologist said it was a reaction to the oxyliplatin and discontinued this protocol. I was put on steroids for seven days. Pet scan and Cat scan were scheduled and I was given 2 months to cool off before going on Xeloda. I did 6 months of Xeloda and am now cancer free.

Funny thing about all this, before I went in for this treatment I had the feeling I was not going to be able to tolerate much more of the treatments. In the beginning I did okay, but with each treatment I felt worse and worse. I was sort of relieved to be taken off the treatments.

Things have a way of taking care of themselves......that was my experience. Taking Xeloda was challenging but much easier then the prior treatment.

Hope you are doing okay and things work out for you like they need to.
By the way, my staging was the same as yours.

Mary
Mary

wendy_21

thank you

Postby wendy_21 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks Mary! It's good to know that there is something else they can use to fight the cancer. I am just afraid I won't be able to make it through all the rounds of chemo and I don't want to lessen the chances of this working. I'm glad to hear that your experience worked out!
wendy

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”