Numbness.....how long???

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mary316

Numbness.....how long???

Postby Mary316 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:45 am

I know this differs from person to person, but I was wondering what everyones experience has been. I have one more Folfox treatment left, and after treatment 10 we stopped the oxaliplatin due to neuropathy. The numbness in my feet and legs are driving me crazy. I heard it may get worse before it gets better, but I'm hoping its not too long. Nothing really hurts, its just numb. My feet up to my knees are numb. Like I can't really feel it when I shave, but the back of my legs get numb when I walk with tennis shoes on all the way up to my butt. when this started only my fingertips were numb, now I feel numbness through my fingers, but not into my hands.

I was just curious what others have experienced. Did it get a little worse after treatment? How long until it began to get better rather than worse? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Mary
Stage IIIc February 2007
Ending Chemo August 17!!!!!!!!!!!

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:12 am

hi,
i finished oxaliplatin back in the end of october 2006 and i do not have tingling but i have some numbness still which i was told could last a couple years. it has subsided from what it used to be but it is still there. that is the only effect i had from folfox as far as fingers and toes go. so just cause my numbness is still around doesn't mean yours will be as we all react to the drugs differently.

missjv

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Mary-

I stopped Oxali back in May, but am still taking the other drugs associated with Folfox.

My side effects with Oxail were no way as bad as what you are experiencing. I'm sorry to hear this.

The numbness in my butt was the first thing to come back (thank God cause that was what was bothering me the most). It took a month before I started seeing the side effects go away. One day, I was sitting on my couch and realized that my hands didn't have that constant throbbing feeling anymore.

Almost three months later, I don't have to keep my feet covered all the time anymore, but they still don't have all of the feeling back yet. I think I have about 40% of my normalness back overall.

To answer your questions, it didn't get worse after I stopped Oxali, but took a month, to a month & 1/2 to start seeing small results. Hang in there, once you see one small change, you realize the worst is past, and life it starting to go back to normal. Because you are ending chemo all together, you may see quicker results than I am.

Congrats on your last chemo!!!!
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

helen098

Postby helen098 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:00 pm

Mary I can't believe how similar your experience is to mine
After 10 treatments of 5FU, Levcouorin, oxaliplain we stopped the
oxalilpain because I was getting numbness in my feet
my last oxaliplain treatment was end of Nov by Jan when I finished chemo the numbless/pain went up to my knees and my hand were also painfull/numb I went to a neurologist was gave by Lyrica and Lidoderm pain patches for my feet//no inprovement in April he started me on
vitamin B6 B12 and niacin about 2 weeks ago I started to notice some improvement in my hands. They feel less numb, the fuzzy feeling is less and I seem to be droping things less.
So it does get worst before it gets any better.
A month ago I would of told you I thought it will never get any better
but it does seem to change. Ask your doctor about the meds or at east the vitamins ( can't hurt)
Good luck

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:20 am

I finished FolFox6 treatments (12 in all) May 23, 2007. The numbness started in early April. It is in my fingers and feet. I find the fingers much more painful made worse during the day because I type a lot at work. I continue to walk and am walking in our local Relay for Life tomorrow. (I raised $700.) Running or jogging is out of the question because my feet can't take the pressure.

I'd say it is worse for me now in my fingers then it was when I ended treatments. I've started taking B-complex vitamins after getting that advice from a friend in the same situation.and hope to start seeing improvement. Day by day. I'd like to be able to start quilting again, but holding a needle is too painful.

Robin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”