spots on lungs

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sue

spots on lungs

Postby sue » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Ok here I am 5 1/2 months into Xeloda (after having liver resection in December 2006, and 28 radition treatments on positve nodes outside liver, and now I have a few spots on my lungs. They are too small to biopsy so we will watch and do another cat scan in Sept. Also, my CEA went for 5 to 6 to 9 in last 3 readings. I am not sure what is going on as the Dr. either, but if these prove to be cancerous (spots) I will be having RFA or Cyber Knive to get rid of them. I really feel this is better than treating with chemo on early/small spots on lungs and liver. Any advice? Sue
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:54 pm

hi sue,
just wondering why positive nodes were not removed during liver resection?? i am surprised they did liver surgery if you had cancer outside the liver. i was told i could not have resection if i had cancer outside the liver as it would not be curative so why put me through the surgery. luckily that was not the case and so far the liver was the only site of mets and i had so far a successfull resection of 3 mets. i guess all docs are different. sorry to be nosey just wondering. did the radiation work on nodes? i hope so.

missjv

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi, Sue.

I had a lung lesion for a long time that never showed up on PET scans, so it was assumed to be scar tissue or something benign. Then it started growing a few weeks ago, was biopsied, found to be malignant, and removed. I was given a choice between an open procedure and a thorascopy. There are benefits to both, so it was a difficult decision. In the end, I went for thorascopy, and it was an easy procedure and recovery. I felt like myself, for the most part, after just a few days. I have never had cyber knife, and really am not entirely sure what it is. I did have RFA on a liver met last year. The after-effects of the RFA were strange ... I was simultaneously hot and cold. But all in all, it's probably not so bad.

I hope it all works out for the best.

Rodney

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:08 am

Hi Sue,

If you are a candidate for RFA for your lung spots, I would definitely do that - the sooner the better. I'm sure the lymph nodes will continue to be a concern, but it would be good to get the lungs under control.

I'm assuming you aren't taking Xeloda alone, or that you are taking it after completing another regimen? I would ask your doc about possibly changing drugs and going on a combo treatment, given that you obviously have tumor growth on Xeloda. It might be time for a change to see if a different drug combo might work better.

:)Hannah
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

sue

lungs

Postby sue » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:37 pm

missjb, when I had my liver resection the nodes were removed also and then I had radiation in that area (nodes), besides these there was no other signs of cancer anywhere else. That was Dec.11.06, Now these spots are showing up on the lungs, they were not there before. They are very small..but they are there. We are doing cat scans again next month to see if there is any change since they are too small now to biopsy etc....As far as the nodes yes, the radiation took care of them, nothing showing up now on cat scan. BTW- what kind of surgery did you have to remove liver mets 3 times? Did you get cut open all 3 times? Sue
missjv wrote:hi sue,
just wondering why positive nodes were not removed during liver resection?? i am surprised they did liver surgery if you had cancer outside the liver. i was told i could not have resection if i had cancer outside the liver as it would not be curative so why put me through the surgery. luckily that was not the case and so far the liver was the only site of mets and i had so far a successfull resection of 3 mets. i guess all docs are different. sorry to be nosey just wondering. did the radiation work on nodes? i hope so.

missjv
Oct 2003 surgery 36 weeks 5FU

Dec 2006-mets to liver and lymph nodes (stage 1V ) Had liver resection/radiation/chemo

2008 nodes on lungs started FOLFOX4, 5FU/leucovorin, avastin. After 10 cycles no change

Oct 2008 started 5-FU

May 2009-Folfox4

missjv

Postby missjv » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:50 pm

hi sue,

im sorry if i confused you i had only 1 liver resection that was last year. but i had 3 mets on the right lobe of my liver so not 3 surgeries but 3 mets on liver luckily all in the same segment of liver so they could be removed without removing alot of liver i think surgeon said close to 20% of my liver was removed. so i see we had surgery the same time mine was dec 8 2006. i then had hai pump placed and had 6 rounds of chemo directly to liver and i did 12 rounds of folfuri so im hoping that did the trick. that sucks about your lungs hopefully you can have them removed i think they do a laporoscip surgery to the lungs which is much easier to recover from.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”